Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I spent 7 business days in Houston working 2 weeks ago. To be honest I was absolutely flabergasted by the seething hatred that alot of people have for Dallas down there.
That is NOT the norm.
Are you sure these people weren't just joking with you?

Anyway, you're not a native Texan, right? I'm not either. I've noticed there seems to be a lot of competition among the cities. But Houston seems to get it the worst (as far as the bashing from other Texans.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
The OP is asking for help in this thread. This is NOT a city smackdown. Replies need to be helpful. Be sure you read the original post before you reply.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
That is NOT the norm.
Are you sure these people weren't just joking with you?

Anyway, you're not a native Texan, right? I'm not either. I've noticed there seems to be a lot of competition among the cities. But Houston seems to get it the worst (as far as the bashing from other Texans.)
A couple of them might have been, a couple definately were not (especially the Vietnamese girl). Either way, its a business meeting. Its not the time to bash where I live.

Im not sure I agree that Houston gets it the worst. I think Dallas gets it just as bad. I dont know which city actually get torn into the most, but if it is Houston, its not by much.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
A couple of them might have been, a couple definately were not (especially the Vietnamese girl). Either way, its a business meeting. Its not the time to bash where I live.
I agree, not professional at all.
It's odd... I certainly haven't seen much of that in Houston, and one of our companies has locations in Sugar Land and outside of DFW. No one ever insults each other's cities, let alone even mentions the cities. And there's lots of travel back and forth.

Anyway, I think it's just another example for the OP, that the cities can have dramatically different groups of people within them. It's hard (and usually wrong) to generalize experience with a handful of people into being representative of the entire city or metro...

Old 02-19-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I agree, not professional at all.
It's odd... I certainly haven't seen much of that in Houston, and one of our companies has locations in Sugar Land and outside of DFW. No one ever insults each other's cities, let alone even mentions the cities. And there's lots of travel back and forth.

Anyway, I think it's just another example for the OP, that the cities can have dramatically different groups of people within them. It's hard (and usually wrong) to generalize experience with a handful of people into being representative of the entire city or metro...
Indeed. I think the trashing of cities like that (no matter which city) is awful. People are allowed to have their preference, but it can get out of hand.

In fairness, when I was out in about (outside of work), I never heard anyone say anything negative about Dallas. In talking to one of my friends, I think both cities have the same attitude toward one another. They dont tend to think of each other (bad or good) very often.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You have to be kidding. Dallas is one of the least desirable places to live in the entire country.

All of the Dallas fanboys jumped on this thread because Dallasites have serious image issues due to the city being one big flat, landlocked, tornado-prone city that always feels as if it is better than perceived by outsiders.

I'd take Houston ANY day over Dallas.
VERY original. Take a look at the number of Houston fanboys that jumped on this thread from the very beginning like flies on ****. I think all of the Houston fanboys put out an RSS feed on the Internet for every thread or story containing the word "Houston" so they can make sure and pump their city to the outside world every chance they get. And flat? Are you serious? Houston's as flat as a board; Dallas not as much.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:35 AM

882 posts, read 2,246,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The crowd at one of my alma mater's football games last fall in Dallas -culturally embracing? I think so:
You showed us one part of Dallas, so just because one part is diverse, doesnt mean that all of Dallas is culturally embracing.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
You showed us one part of Dallas, so just because one part is diverse, doesnt mean that all of Dallas is culturally embracing.
In my opinion Dallas isnt either culturally embracing or culturally dead. It diverse, yet people dont explore other cultures as much as they should.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:03 AM

882 posts, read 2,246,552 times
Quote:
In my opinion Dallas isnt either culturally embracing or culturally dead. It diverse, yet people dont explore other cultures as much as they should.
I agree.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 8,530 times
Default Hope things change for you

Hi there,

Reading your message was like reading something I had wrote.
I , like you, feel Texas is a an all around nice place. I would go as far to say as they some of the nicest Americans in the US.
I have lived in Houston for 3 years and find it difficult to make friends, and I too am lonely and depressed.
Although Houstonians are nice and polite it does not go much further than the polite good morning or the helpful customer service that you would find say at the Library or supermarket.
I do not believe it is racist either...just a lack of interest. I too look different as I am from mixed background and from another country and have made a point to reach out to people here yet still live a lonely existence.
I met a young man here in a class I was taking who shared with me that he has been in Houston for 9 months and feels really lonely(he is also very blonde and blue eyed) and try as he might he just cant seem to make friends.
Maybe some places were just not meant for certain people. I have given it the old college try and will be leaving here soon...hopefully to greener pastures and somewhere closer to that which I am familiar with.
I thank Houston very much though for it's space and wide-openess enough for me to see clearly that I do not truly belong here and now I will make room for the next person who really does.
I wish you the very best and will say a prayer that you will find some relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas