Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:22 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Just based on driving through the downtowns I would say that Dallas has the best downtown....it feels fuller, and busier than Houston's...Houston's skyline looks more robust and powerful though...Dallas' skyline has more character and is better lit with a much greater spectrum of colors than Houston's...I wasnt too fond of San Antonio's downtown when I went...it was busy...busier than Dallas' or Houston's as a matter of fact...but I just wasnt feeling it. And imo the Riverwalk thing was more of a unique city feature rather than serving any real purpose....cool, but it could have just as well been in any suburban area outside of a mall somewhere

What time were you in downtown Dallas - noon, during a weekday? There is a mass exodus going on there after 5:00 pm.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
What time were you in downtown Dallas - noon, during a weekday? There is a mass exodus going on there after 5:00 pm.

Ive been to downtown Dallas a few different times...I went once around 4:00pm for the Cotton Bowl game...it was really busy then...I had a good time..I also went downtown during the Texas state fair. it was at night...

Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
What sets downtown Houston apart from the others? What is downtown Houston like apart from the obvious financial district? Is it an inviting walkable downtown? Thus far I've heard good things about downtown Austin, San Antonio, Ft. Worth and Downtown Dallas getting better, not so much on downtown Houston....
That means nothing. it just means that your sources know nothing about downtown Houston. For them not to have heard anything about the Theater District and the appraised Discovery Green urban park, it's pretty obvious your sources had their eyes closed on Houston.

Quote:
Just based on driving through the downtowns I would say that Dallas has the best downtown....it feels fuller, and busier than Houston's...Houston's skyline looks more robust and powerful though...Dallas' skyline has more character and is better lit with a much greater spectrum of colors than Houston's...I wasnt too fond of San Antonio's downtown when I went...it was busy...busier than Dallas' or Houston's as a matter of fact...but I just wasnt feeling it. And imo the Riverwalk thing was more of a unique city feature rather than serving any real purpose....cool, but it could have just as well been in any suburban area outside of a mall somewhere

I agree with most of your post especially about Dallas having the better lit skyline, but i disagree that it feels busier than d/t Houston. Are you talking about buildings or people? Because people are what makes a place feel lively and the last i checked, eastside downtown Houston is no sleeping giant with 2 sports stadiums downtown, Covention Center, and the new Park. Dallas may have experienced a huge building boom areas close to downtown in the last couple of years, but it has merely just caught up with what Houston had been doing for years. Given the current economy and the vacancy rates of downtown Dallas, it just appears that downtown Dallas has been making unwise decisions by overbuilding.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 02-25-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM

322 posts, read 749,129 times
I love downtown Austin and San Antonio. I wish I had more experience with downtown Fort Worth though. Sounds like I need to spend some time there.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
What sets downtown Houston apart from the others? What is downtown Houston like apart from the obvious financial district? Is it an inviting walkable downtown? ...
Well, it has the 2nd largest downtown theater district in the country (1st is NYC). And bars/restaurants all up and down Main St. And two sports stadiums (Astros and Rockets play downtown.) And a new park, Discovery Green, where there is almost always something going on. And Houston Pavilions, where the House of Blues and other venues are. And Bayou Place....
So yeah, there's a lot more than just the 9-to-5 business district. People who imply otherwise are thinking of a Houston from the 1980's.

Last edited by AK123; 02-25-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post

I agree with most of your post especially about Dallas having the better lit skyline, but i disagree that it feels busier than d/t Houston. Are you talking about buildings or people? Because people are what makes a place feel lively and the last i checked, eastside downtown Houston is no sleeping giant with 2 sports stadiums downtown, Covention Center, and the new Park. Dallas may have experienced a huge building boom areas close to downtown in the last couple of years, but it has merely just caught up with what Houston had been doing for years. Given the current economy and the vacancy rates of downtown Dallas, it just appears that downtown Dallas has been making unwise decisions by overbuilding.
If he/she feel Downtown Dallas is busier than downtown Houston that is her opinion. I am pretty sure the individual has good reason to feel the way they do.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
If he/she feel Downtown Dallas is busier than downtown Houston that is her opinion. I am pretty sure the individual has good reason to feel the way they do.
You're right, everyone's entitled to their opinion. And i'm sure there's good reason for someone to feel the way they do... Like going to a downtown during a cotton bowl game or special event and comparing it to another city that might not have something going on at the time. Good stuff

Old 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
How is it that "downtown Dallas has been making unwise decisions by overbuilding." when there have been no skyscrapers built in 25 years?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
How is it that "downtown Dallas has been making unwise decisions by overbuilding." when there have been no skyscrapers built in 25 years?
Because they're focusing on merely building skyscrapers rather than trying to fill in the existing office space it already has. Loft conversions are not simply enough to support a downtown market.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Ive been to downtown Dallas a few different times...I went once around 4:00pm for the Cotton Bowl game...it was really busy then...I had a good time..I also went downtown during the Texas state fair. it was at night...
Well that does explain things. Now that the Cotton Bowl is going to be a Cowboys Stadium, I guess that will be one less draw for businesses around Fair Park. Fair Park, Deep Ellum, the struggling Victory Park, and Uptown aren't down town. I was referring to the area bounded by Central Expressway: US 75/I-45 and R.L. Thorton (I-30), Stemmons (I-35), and Woodall Rogers. West End is a shadow of its former self. There is an occasional show at the Majestic. Hopefully the new additions to the arts district will revitalize downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas