Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 PM

160 posts, read 365,914 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has the LEAST amount of people living downtown out of the major cities in Texas. I don't know where some of these numbers are coming from.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:42 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,113,771 times
The least? It has the most, but, Austin is catching up. San Antonio has a lot of historic structure conversions. It does have newly built and planned structures, but, nowhere near the old stuff.
largest downtown populations.
http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/top21fin.pdf (broken link)

a few examples historic conversions.
Steel House Lofts :: 1401 South Flores Street :: 210.212.6900 (http://www.steelhouselofts.com/floorplans/index.html - broken link)

Here is a listing but a lot are not listed, like the privately owned properties. One comes to mind that is sold out, where my friend lives, the 12 story South Texas building, beautiful conversion.
Buy | Downtown Alliance San Antonio
Rent | Downtown Alliance San Antonio

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 02-27-2010 at 05:10 PM..

Old 02-27-2010, 08:15 PM

457 posts, read 905,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
The least? It has the most, but, Austin is catching up. San Antonio has a lot of historic structure conversions. It does have newly built and planned structures, but, nowhere near the old stuff.
largest downtown populations.
http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/top21fin.pdf (broken link)
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, because I don't have the exact numbers with me. But the document you linked to is 12 years old, and since then Dallas has redefined "downtown" to include areas outside of the CBD. Including the CBD, Uptown, Cedars, and Victory, I believe Dallas' "downtown" population is around 30K.

I mention this because the article you linked to stated that the Census Bureau does not define downtowns; they are defined by each city and are often not apples-to-apples comparisons.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 PM

couple more examples of historical high rises apts downtown not on downtown alliance web site.

14 story Robert E Lee Apartments
http://www.pinnaclerealty.com/robertelee/

12 story South Texas Building
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/...0b58ea3b_b.jpg

Old 02-27-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, because I don't have the exact numbers with me. But the document you linked to is 12 years old, and since then Dallas has redefined "downtown" to include areas outside of the CBD. Including the CBD, Uptown, Cedars, and Victory, I believe Dallas' "downtown" population is around 30K.

I mention this because the article you linked to stated that the Census Bureau does not define downtowns; they are defined by each city and are often not apples-to-apples comparisons.
Cedar Springs the gay area? thats really not downtown.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:57 PM

The list has projections through 2010, with increases for all cities. San Antonio should be close to 30,000 just downtown, if you include Midtown, monte Vista, Broadway, it would be a lot more than 30k.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:06 PM

457 posts, read 905,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Cedar Springs the gay area? thats really not downtown.
The Cedars, not Cedar Springs.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 PM

160 posts, read 365,914 times
Only 180 condo units in ALL of downtown San Antonio with 400+ under construction.

San Antonio condos: Behind the trend (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/MYSA120107_01G_Condos_18d710a_html.html - broken link)

Downtown only has a population of 3439 people- by far the least of all the major Texas cities.

Downtown San Antonio, Texas

Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 PM

97 posts, read 251,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAustin View Post
Only 180 condo units in ALL of downtown San Antonio with 400+ under construction.

San Antonio condos: Behind the trend (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/MYSA120107_01G_Condos_18d710a_html.html - broken link)

Downtown only has a population of 3439 people- by far the least of all the major Texas cities.

Downtown San Antonio, Texas

JohninAustin one of your links is an apartment guide and the other link is from 2007.....Your links seem to be far behind due to the fact that this is 2010.

I don't really care how many people live in downtown or what not, but I can assure you that Houston, Austin, and San Antonio have the most vibrant downtowns. San Antonio, being the 2nd largest city in TX, would of course have plenty of things that attract people of all ages. From many restuarants ( one of the fattest cities in the nation ) to plenty of night clubs, and of course plenty of activities to keep your kids busy like The Alamo, Ripleys etc. It has plenty to offer especially with the riverwalk's expansion. SA's downtown is more historical rather than modern, but it is very vibrant and the most visited city in all of Texas.

Austin's downtown is unique, but there downtown seems to attract more college kids and young professionals *cough cough* 6th street. Because of this, Austin is by far the best college town. Many kids after graduating High School move to Austin just because it is the place to go to if your young. Austin's downtown has a great nightlife. If you have kids, Austin's downtown my disappoint you unless you like a mediocre museum. I love Austin's architecture it feels like Gotham City from Batman . There are also many places to live.. that is if you have the money.

I like Houston's downtown because of the very tall buildings. Yes, I love architecture and they have a cool looking downtown just like Austin. Houston has awesome stuff to do with your kids and it is great for older people as well. From dining, to shopping, and many more activities ( too lazy to type everything ) it is very vibrant. And it should be for the biggest city in Texas.

I think that Dallas and Forth Worth have OKAY downtowns, but that's just my opinion. If you have visited SA, Austin, and Houston, then I am sure many of you will agree that there downtowns are more vibrant.

Last edited by MdTexas; 02-27-2010 at 11:52 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 02:14 AM

That is condo constrution not overall population for the entire downtown area, San Antonio still has the largest downtown population. More people rent than buy, it's not determined just by condo construction. Again San Antonio's downtown inventory is moreso conversions than new structures being built. It is easier to convert in San Antonio than knock something over, especially with the strict building regulations in San Antonio.

That apartment link is not a overall representation for downtown, it's a apartment guide, nothing more, with not a accurate fugure. Some sources may label CBD as the entire downtown area. For instance Hemisfair Park is apart of the convention district not the Central business district, they are apartments all over downtown.
Downtown San Antonio has several districts and it's population was determine by a study of the one of the most prestigious urban institutes and the census bureau, not a apartment guide, with a total estimate of certain units, properties and stating that as the population for the CBD. That is just listing of participating properties for rent. There are many private owner properties for sale as well, that are not listed. Just like the South Texas building that has 100's of residents but I can't no longer find a link, a link that listed the properties.

This link says Austin's has 5,000 residents, but a in depth study that I listed determined it was much more. Why would the Brookings and Census, Fannie mae come up with a figure of nearly 25,000 for San Antonio? Just because?

http://www.downtownaustin.com/downlo...y_20080402.pdf

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 02-28-2010 at 02:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas