Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:56 PM

151 posts, read 700,148 times

Advertisements

like the title says........................

Old 07-31-2006, 04:13 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
For me, I'd pick the Dallas Metro. Why?
1. Not as huge as Houston but still large.
2. Not as humid.
3. You don't have to worry about hurricanes.
4. It floods quite a bit down in Houston, less so in the DFW Metroplex.
5. I love Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington and the Dallas Cowboys.
6. There is more crime in Houston.
7. Traffic is bad in both but it seems less so in DFW especially as you get off into the suburbs.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:15 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Default Dallas would be my choice

I have been in both cities numerous times and I have to pick Dallas. I lived in Southern California (but haven't lived there since 1972, although I go back once in awhile to see my parents) and somehow Houston reminds me of that area. It may seem strange, but I do not have that "Texas" feeling when I am in Houston, but I definitely do in Dallas.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 AM

108 posts, read 171,931 times
Houston!!!

I have lived in both and prefer Houston because:

1. The traffic is equal in my opinion and in Dallas traffic you are usually paying for it.
2. It is drier in Dallas. Could be a good or a bad thing, but we used to have water restrictions where you were not allowed to wash your car. They have some definite water issues up there and it gets old. The cities have outgrown their water sources.
3. More trees in Houston
4. I think people are friendlier in Houston.
5. Houston is a more international city.
6. You don't have to drive to Arlington to catch a football or baseball game
7. The freeways make more sense
8. Better mexican food.
9. Houston has better museums and art galleries.
10. Because feeder roads are much better than frontage roads. ;P

and I think the crime is relative. Houston has more largerdefined bad areas, where there are more pockets of small bad areas all over Dallas.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
1. Not as huge as Houston but still large. - Excuse me??? Isn't Dallas technically bigger once you throw in the Metropolitan area.

2. Not as humid. - Agree, but both are still hot. If you hate heat avoid both.

3. You don't have to worry about hurricanes. - Tornadoes.

4. It floods quite a bit down in Houston, less so in the DFW Metroplex. - True, but flooding can be an issue in Dallas too though.

5. I love Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington and the Dallas Cowboys. - Ok, you got me.

6. There is more crime in Houston. - Nope, Dallas overall is more dangerous.

7. Traffic is bad in both but it seems less so in DFW especially as you get off into the suburbs. - I guess, but both have bad traffic.
Thank you.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Go visit both and pick one.

Every person will have a different opinion. Both are nice places to live.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 AM

17 posts, read 62,002 times
Flip a coin you will not go wrong on either metro. I like them both. Texas should be proud to have two major metros like DFW and Houston and stop this one is better than the other nonsense.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
4. It floods quite a bit down in Houston, less so in the DFW Metroplex.
5. I love Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington and the Dallas Cowboys.
6. There is more crime in Houston.
7. Traffic is bad in both but it seems less so in DFW especially as you get off into the suburbs.
You got a source for that eroneous claim of more crime in Houston? Sounds like something you just pulled out of your a$$.

And it floods in Dallas too. I've been living in Houston for about 6 years and I've seen bad floods on average about twice a year. But i understand Houston is so big that it probably floods more in certain areas. It's still not as bad as people make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Thank you.
And no, Dallas is not bigger, technically. Dallas/Ft. Worth/ Arlington is bigger than Greater Houston. Houston still has that bigger city feel and bigger urban core.

Both areas have their advantages and disadvantages. They both seem like great places to live. I don't think i can choose one.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Depends what you are looking for.

For single urban living I would prefer Dallas. I prefer the uptown Dallas area to the Galleria area which would be the Houston equivalent. And I like prefer the inner Dallas neighborhoods like Lakewood to the equivalent close-in neighborhoods in Houston.

For suburban/exurban master planned family oriented communities I think I'd pick Houston. I'd pick the Woodlands, Katy and Sugarland over the Dallas equivalents of Plano, Frisco, Allen, etc. I haven't found any real equivalent to Katy's Cinco Ranch in the Dallas area and there is nothing at all like the Woodlands in greater Dallas.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with the previous sentiment. Dallas is more of a great plains city. Houston is more of a tropical Gulf city. If you like the high plains environment choose Dallas. If you like a more lush tropical environment that always seems on the verge of being overgrown choose Houston.

Last edited by texasdiver; 05-26-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 AM
MDE

20 posts, read 54,847 times
The people who point to Dallas' crime stats also point out the entire DFW metro area is as big or larger than Houston. If you compare the crime stats for the entire DFW metroplex to Houston's I think they would compare favorably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas