Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:27 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,386 times

Advertisements

I've been browsing rental ads on Craigslist for a couple of months now, to get an idea of the average prices, amenities, etc., in the Toronto rental market.

There is this one ad that keeps appearing every other week or so, and it looks like the place has not been rented out after a couple of months (I haven't seen this happen with any other ad):

Large Bachelor ( Yonge and St. Clair) (http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/apa/1817196869.html - broken link)

Is there anything about the area that makes this a less than appealing location? Apart from the fact that the apartment is not right on Yonge and St. Clair (as the title seems to suggest), can you see anything else that would be a red flag?

I haven't found any references to this building in the reviews section of Viewit.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:21 PM

287 posts, read 1,010,119 times
The rent's pretty good. Nice area to live but not cheap as far as grocery shopping. There's a Sobey's and Bruno's nearby.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,026 times
Yonge/St Claire is probably one of the best area in mid-town. Access to everything, close enough to downtown without the congestion. Rent seems quite reasonable!
The apartment seems to be old looking but the location is simply fantastic and well worth the price.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,386 times
Hmmm...so you guys don't see any red flag with the area? (e.g., a pocket of high crime, etc.)

The location is close to Yonge and St. Clair, yes, but given the lower-than-market price, and the fact that the apartment has been available for a couple of months now, I thought it could be like Parkdale/Roncesvalles near High Park: a less desirable area with cheaper rent (i.e., Parkdale) next to a more desirable area with higher rent (i.e., Roncesvalles village).

I guess I'll schedule a viewing and ask the ugly questions (e.g., "How come no one has rented the apartment for so long?").

Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 PM

20 posts, read 51,356 times
No huge red flags for me, it's actually just north of one of the most richest and affluent neighbourhoods in Toronto, Rosedale. Maybe look out for Roach/Bed bug infestations?

It's also located in a primarily residential area, yes it's close to Yonge and the subway but that pays a huge toll on it's value.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:08 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
Hmmm...so you guys don't see any red flag with the area? (e.g., a pocket of high crime, etc.)

The location is close to Yonge and St. Clair, yes, but given the lower-than-market price, and the fact that the apartment has been available for a couple of months now, I thought it could be like Parkdale/Roncesvalles near High Park: a less desirable area with cheaper rent (i.e., Parkdale) next to a more desirable area with higher rent (i.e., Roncesvalles village).

I guess I'll schedule a viewing and ask the ugly questions (e.g., "How come no one has rented the apartment for so long?").
Yonge/St Clair is a very safe and pleasant area, can't compare with Parkdale at all!! Just by walking on the street for 10 minutes, you will see the difference. One of my colleague lives there and there has never been any safety issues.
Check whether the apartment itself has problems though (bedbugs, security etc).
The rent is low, but for its size and its condition, I would say it is not suspiciously low.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:39 PM

287 posts, read 1,010,119 times
I guess it does seem a bit odd that it's been on the market for so long. You'll just have to go out there and see for yourself. It would be a good idea to hang around the front of the building for a while and ask the residents coming in and out how they like it there.

Here's a website for reports of bedbugs, didn't see one for that building (mind you, I don't know how many people are aware of this site): Bedbug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Also, on myhood.ca -*Toronto Apartment Rentals you can look for reviews of apartment buildings. Didn't see one on there.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:14 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,858 times
You seem to be in a Good Area to me. Good luck.....

Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 PM

5 posts, read 24,934 times
Could be something not related to the area at all-- which others have noted is quite desirable -- maybe the building is very poorly managed. I liked the idea of checking out the building/residents coming in and out.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,516 times
Hi, I am going to see an apt at 309 mt pleasant rd. Did you happen to rent apt in this bldg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto