Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,288,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
This is now the law in Ontario regardless of what other posters say to the contrary.

PS OP, the exact url you will need is kijiji.ca

Well someone needs to update the government's Landlord and Tenant board website then, because there it says unequivocally that they can refuse to rent to someone with a pet:

Information - Starting a Tenancy

Can the landlord refuse to rent to a person if they have a pet?

Yes, if a landlord has a “no pets” policy and they learn that a person applying to rent an apartment has a pet, the landlord may refuse to rent to that person.

The Residential Tenancies Act states that any clause in a lease that prohibits pets is void. This means that once a person becomes a tenant, if they have a pet even though the lease says pets are not allowed, the landlord cannot evict the tenant just for having the pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 AM

5 posts, read 6,845 times
Coming from an area with limited public transportation we are looking forward to the "adventure" of public transportation. The story of the flooded Toronto subways even made the news in Florida!

adventuregurl - thanks for the info! Will check it out.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl2ca2013 View Post
Coming from an area with limited public transportation we are looking forward to the "adventure" of public transportation. The story of the flooded Toronto subways even made the news in Florida!
Toronto does have a decent public transit, except that our subway system is rather small and outdated. you can visit The Toronto Transit Commission - TTC for more information. TTC is the most expensive system in North America as well. Monthly pass is $121.

You will be able to get pretty much everywhere within the city boundary by transit, just don't expect it to be "rapid" as buses/streetcars are seldom on schedule and are rather slow, while subways frequently run into trouble - more frequently than what you normally see. If you don't plan to stay within downtown most of the time as I do, your life will still be a LOT easier with a car.

Also be prepared to pay a lot more on car insurance than you do in America.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
The Residential Tenancies Act states that any clause in a lease that prohibits pets is void. This means that once a person becomes a tenant, if they have a pet even though the lease says pets are not allowed, the landlord cannot evict the tenant just for having the pet.
So doesn't this just mean that if your pet moves in after you do, there is nothing they can do about it? Seems like a pretty big loophole to me.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I can search the Toronto MLS for you and send you an email of some rentals in Toronto, I know there are several in our system.

Good luck on your search!
Travis3000 - thanks for the offer. If you see anything with an availability date of Nov. 1 that fits our budget and location I would appreciate a contact. Feel free to send a DM. Thanks

Old 06-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
So doesn't this just mean that if your pet moves in after you do, there is nothing they can do about it? Seems like a pretty big loophole to me.
I agree, I have read other posts that encourage you to hide/lie about the pet prior to moving in, because the landlord can do little about it after you move in. I am not sure I would want to make enemies with my landlord in the beginning. They could make your life miserable.

I hope most property managers are aware of the regulations and are reasonable when dealing with tenants and pets.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:38 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
Don't forget the Toronto Star Classifieds, if you're more discerning about the type of place you want. Their listings tend to be nicer on the whole., in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto