Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 AM

4 posts, read 7,413 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I just got my Letter of acceptance recently and now I'm going to proceed with my Visa. Anyway I'm looking forward to see Toronto. But honestly I'm so scared and nervous that I can't quite remember what was it I wanted to ask
First of all, I was going to look for a flat to rent, but some ads are just making me confused. Should I avoid basement apartments or is it real to find a really nice one? They just look so attractive with those low prices. But I've heard different opinions. Some people say those basements are mostly too cold in winter and too dump in summer. And it's a bit difficult to choose for someone who's born on the other far far end of the world On the other hand Seneca is offering this 'Room in a House' option. I was thinking about it too. And still after all I'm sure it's better to pay two hundred dollars more but to get an apartment where you'll be free to use the bathroom and the kitchen whenever you want.

Another question is about the district where I'm supposed to live. I'll be studying at Seneca York so I thought I should look for rental options just around North York. What is this area like? I was told that there are a lot of students living there but I still do not know anything about this part of the town. Is it multinational? Are there many shops around? How is the infrastructure there? There are so much more questions I would like to ask. I was reading a lot about Toronto but it seems to me I won't figure it all out before I arrive anyway. I will be happy to hear any advice about what I'll be likely facing when I get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
A few facts.

A basement apt is heated by a furnace, which is IN the basement. The laws here require the MINIMUM in door temp to be 21 celsius, from October to April.

Usually a basement apt, especially in North York , has a seperate entrance, its own kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom, and windows.

North York is a part of the city of Toronto, so no worries about " infastructure " as it is the largest city in Canada. We have a first class transit system with buses , streetcars and underground subways. The Toronto Transit Commission moves over one million riders A DAY.

Toronto is a VERY diverse city. We speak about 120 languages here. Wherever you come from, you will meet others here, who are from your country. I guarantee it.

I like to say that " Toronto is the place where the world has come to live `.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,967 times
York U is near the edge of the city, out in the boonies. It's not a particularly attractive area, no shopping or malls nearby, but you will be around a lot of students. A car would be a good thing for you to have.

Attending school + basement apartment = hell. Don't do it. Unless you don't mind the sound of people walking on your head while you're trying to study.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 7,413 times
Thanks for giving me something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto