Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 05:51 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times

Advertisements

You know what?

From street view Toronto reminds me of London, the dense multicultural shopping high streets and the form of the buildings etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:00 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
You know what?

From street view Toronto reminds me of London, the dense multicultural shopping high streets and the form of the buildings etc.
it isn't like London. London is cool. London is one of the world's truly great cities. Toronto is, well, Toronto.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:39 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
I'm comparing inner city London to inner city Toronto (old toronto/york whatever)

Old 10-26-2014, 07:47 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
I'm comparing inner city London to inner city Toronto (old toronto/york whatever)
Honestly, there isn't much of a comparison. Go visit someday and you'll see for yourself. When it comes to layout, Toronto has far more in common with Chicago than it does with London. London and Toronto aren't similar in that respect.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:55 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Quote:
Am I right to say that most of the uniqueness of Toronto would be outside downtown? But more in the inner city areas immediately outside downtown?

On google maps () Toronto seems very dense.
I don't know. The only outside part I have been to is around the 400 series highways that enter the city from the North. That part of Toronto (Mississauga and South until the centre) horrify me. So ugly and sprawling. I have friends who live in flats around there so they can access one of the nearby major universities (York), and you couldn't pay me to live in that area.

I like the things that happen in Toronto. It's a liberal and artsy city (if you pay attention to the youthfull residents) with cool festivals and interesting live music everywhere you go. I love all the little different ethnic villages and access to whatever you want, but I effing hate the layout of that city. I feel depressed on the outer parts by how ugly everything is, but overwhelmed in the centre around Yonge, Bloor, etc. Actually, downtown Toronto is unlike anything I've ever experienced in big Westernized cities the world over, I feel so trapped there. It takes well over an hour and a half to get out of the city going North.

It's just not my kind of place to live. I like to visit and hang around, but it gets old quickly for me. I prefer Montreal, and Vancouver if I'm feeling outdoorsy. Not trying to bash or anything. Some people move there and never look back, but I'm not one of those people is all.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:02 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,444,654 times
Toronto and New York are the only Western cities that can compare with London in terms of racial and ethnic diversity. As a Canadian city, there is unsurprisingly a much more British flavor in Toronto than in any US city. Much of Toronto definitely does have a Londonish aesthetic, albeit a North-Americanized version of it.

It is possible to compare aspects of two cities without implying that the cities in general are especially comparable.

Incidentally, while Toronto may not be a "truly great city" at the same level as London and New York, it is undoubtedly one of North America's greatest, and one that is extremely undervalued by Americans.

The fact that Toronto, a city only slightly bigger than Atlanta, is routinely placed on a level with Chicago, San Francisco, and Washington, and the fact that Toronto makes the top 20 of every major "global city" ranking, and the fact that Toronto is the third-smallest GaWC Alpha city (after Brussels and Amsterdam) should all be signs that it is doing something very right.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post

The fact that Toronto, a city only slightly bigger than Atlanta, is routinely placed on a level with Chicago, San Francisco, and Washington, and the fact that Toronto makes the top 20 of every major "global city" ranking, and the fact that Toronto is the third-smallest GaWC Alpha city (after Brussels and Amsterdam) should all be signs that it is doing something very right.
Good series of post you have made!.. What one has to take into consideration with Toronto vs most American cities is its density relative to others its size. Cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston on paper have similar metro populations but they need to sprawl out considerably further in area to capture those populations using American style MSA/CSA metrics that Canada doesn't use (If we did Toronto would comfortably be around the 7-8million mark and would be quite a bit larger than Atlanta). The only large U.S cities (except for NYC which smashes every American/Canadian city in population metrics) that come close to matching Toronto's Urban area density is Chicago, S.F (Bay Area) and L.A..

Demographia does a good job capturing this.. Compare Toronto to other U.S cities and you'll see what I mean - its interesting to compare the land area vs densities.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-29-2014 at 08:33 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 08:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
^ Indeed, by urban area population, Toronto is 1.5 million people more populous then Atlanta, and FAR more densely populated. It's also bigger and denser than Washington D.C. and San Francisco. Chicago's urban area population is still well ahead of Toronto's, but Toronto's is significantly more dense.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:26 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
Quote:
You know what?

I agree, and many other people familiar with the two cities have made that observation as well.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I feel depressed on the outer parts by how ugly everything is, but overwhelmed in the centre around Yonge, Bloor, etc. Actually, downtown Toronto is unlike anything I've ever experienced in big Westernized cities the world over, I feel so trapped there. It takes well over an hour and a half to get out of the city going North.
Toronto is the only real large city in Canada with a substantive metro area population. The Golden Horsehoe is 8.7 million people in an area roughly the size of Chicagoland so it is going to take a lot longer to reach more sparsely populated areas. Montreal and Vancouver have good urban density but they just fan out rather quickly and are much more compact so the transition from city to nature is a lot easier of a transition. I think its good that Canada has at least one fairly large city both in city proper and metro terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto