Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am not upset it is changing ... but this design is just so boring and it literally looks like several other areas of the city.

Where is the wow factor? There is nothing unique or interesting about this? Even in basic sense ...different colours .. some design features that would make this area stand out vs other areas in this city. It just looks generic, boring and unmemorable.

You can add more artistry in to a practical design. This is a pretty edgy area with a significant cool urban edge factor that basically got its leather jacket and Doc Martins swapped out for a polo shirt and loafers.

These are some of the trade mark places around this area ....
The proposal doesn't impress me either, but honestly, that is as good as it gets for Toronto.

So a few murals and a neon sign constitutes character? That's actually very easy to add. However, in 2017, Honest Ed is just a complete waste of prime real estate. It should provide more space for people to live, work and shop. I think they are far more important than maintaining a neon sign and all the nostalgia you have.

The solution, put the sign somewhere. And we could always have more mural somewhere. Honestly, I don't think most murals have much a character. Most cities have this or that murals and I don't think they are all cool. Most are becoming cliche and trying to pass as street arts.

Congratulations for Toronto to have the first pedestrian street in the future! It is like 20 years behind the civilized world. I hope the Gardiner/DVP toll will be expensive enough to reduce cars in downtown significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Too bad but things have to move on.

It was starting to look a bit tacky.

I liked Ed Mirvish, a cool guy.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The proposal doesn't impress me either, but honestly, that is as good as it gets for Toronto.

So a few murals and a neon sign constitutes character? That's actually very easy to add. However, in 2017, Honest Ed is just a complete waste of prime real estate. It should provide more space for people to live, work and shop. I think they are far more important than maintaining a neon sign and all the nostalgia you have.

The solution, put the sign somewhere. And we could always have more mural somewhere. Honestly, I don't think most murals have much a character. Most cities have this or that murals and I don't think they are all cool. Most are becoming cliche and trying to pass as street arts.

Congratulations for Toronto to have the first pedestrian street in the future! It is like 20 years behind the civilized world. I hope the Gardiner/DVP toll will be expensive enough to reduce cars in downtown significantly.
Classic Botti. Taking a stab at Toronto at every turn even when there is clear progress, like a little cloud of negativity on every Toronto-related thread. Now I can see living in France has clearly paid off for him.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
I don't know. Can't somebody just randomly spray paint and wheat paste stuff around the new development? Won't that happen anyways? That's all that needs to be done for it to fit in to The Annex.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
As chintzy as Honest Ed's was i'm still kinda sad to see it go.. It became somewhat of a Toronto institution and was also a place that people struggling economically (particularly new Canadians) could shop for low priced goods. A lot of people relied on it and stuff like the free turkey giveaways each year. It was certainly one of the most giving businesses in the city.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
As chintzy as Honest Ed's was i'm still kinda sad to see it go.. It became somewhat of a Toronto institution and was also a place that people struggling economically (particularly new Canadians) could shop for low priced goods. A lot of people relied on it and stuff like the free turkey giveaways each year. It was certainly one of the most giving businesses in the city.
The store inside was totally run down and fugly for many many years, but I have gotten some great deals on certain items there, but it was not the cheapest place for everything under the sun especailly when quality was a factor. I had some fun over the last couple years getting some of their deals for their $0.25 sale or $0.50 sale. I actually was able to score some useful things during that time.

I think another local business stepped up and continued the tradition this year, which was really nice. Enjoyed talking a last walk through the store and snapping some photos before they closed. Hopefully the sign will find another spot in the area and the space will be better used in the future.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
The store inside was totally run down and fugly for many many years, but I have gotten some great deals on certain items there, but it was not the cheapest place for everything under the sun especailly when quality was a factor. I had some fun over the last couple years getting some of their deals for their $0.25 sale or $0.50 sale. I actually was able to score some useful things during that time.

I think another local business stepped up and continued the tradition this year, which was really nice. Enjoyed talking a last walk through the store and snapping some photos before they closed. Hopefully the sign will find another spot in the area and the space will be better used in the future.
Tbh I've never shopped there but still, for people really struggling this place might have been an important outlet for them to stretch the dollar. I feel bad for those people and also the one's who just habitually shopped there. It was around for like ever and there were people who shopped there for decades. That said, BK made some good points about the condition of the place and there comes a time when its no longer worth saving. There really was no architectural merit to it either. As for the sign no clue - maybe they'll put it up for auction and you can snatch it

Old 01-12-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Tbh I've never shopped there but still, for people really struggling this place might have been an important outlet for them to stretch the dollar. I feel bad for those people and also the one's who just habitually shopped there. It was around for like ever and there were people who shopped there for decades. That said, BK made some good points about the condition of the place and there comes a time when its no longer worth saving. There really was no architectural merit to it either. As for the sign no clue - maybe they'll put it up for auction and you can snatch it
LOL ... I would be more then happy to hang it in my backyard lol... though I am sure my neighbours would not be cool with that .

As I am a re-creational shopper the prices there were not really that great. I think just like Walmart people looking for good prices just go there because they claim to have great prices... but when push comes to shove the prices are really not that much better or they are selling lower quality products so the value is just not there.... plus there is a dollar store a few steps away and Dufferin Mall is not that far away from Bathurst and Bloor. Door crasher sales did not happen every week and it was not on house hold staples, but just random stuff.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
LOL ... I would be more then happy to hang it in my backyard lol... though I am sure my neighbours would not be cool with that .

As I am a re-creational shopper the prices there were not really that great. I think just like Walmart people looking for good prices just go there because they claim to have great prices... but when push comes to shove the prices are really not that much better or they are selling lower quality products so the value is just not there.... plus there is a dollar store a few steps away and Dufferin Mall is not that far away from Bathurst and Bloor. Door crasher sales did not happen every week and it was not on house hold staples, but just random stuff.
Its funny because what is a dollar store these days.. Dollarama used to be but now most items are like 2 or 3 bucks. It should be renamed two dollarama or something.. Sure I mean you have to factor in quality/value as well. Some dollar items for the sake of just being a dollar really of poor quality. Dollar Tree in the U.S comes to mind where everything is a dollar but a lot of items are like no name and pretty poor quality. Still, I guess for some people who simply can't afford it having more choice of where to shop is important. I dunno - sometimes I think we are just gentrifying the crap out of Toronto..

Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 PM

Default The death of the true dollar store....

Quote:
Its funny because what is a dollar store these days.. Dollarama used to be but now most items are like 2 or 3 bucks. It should be renamed two dollarama or something.. Sure I mean you have to factor in quality/value as well. Some dollar items for the sake of just being a dollar really of poor quality. Dollar Tree in the U.S comes to mind where everything is a dollar but a lot of items are like no name and pretty poor quality. Still, I guess for some people who simply can't afford it having more choice of where to shop is important. I dunno - sometimes I think we are just gentrifying the crap out of Toronto..
I know what you mean lol. Most dollar stores are no longer dollar stores.... dollar tree is 1.25 in Canada and much cheaper in the USA. I use to go there to stock up on things when on vacation in Florida ex snacks... water.... beach toys .....so we did not have to spend crazy amounts of money buying drinks and just had stuff with us. Also they sell more types of stuff. I use to go there to grab chese strings and whole wheat crackers ir nuts as an on the go snack while shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto