Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I know what you mean lol. Most dollar stores are no longer dollar stores.... dollar tree is 1.25 in Canada and much cheaper in the USA. I use to go there to stock up on things when on vacation in Florida ex snacks... water.... beach toys .....so we did not have to spend crazy amounts of money buying drinks and just had stuff with us. Also they sell more types of stuff. I use to go there to grab chese strings and whole wheat crackers ir nuts as an on the go snack while shopping.
I haven't been to a dollar tree in Canada. There aren't any close to me and normally if I want to stock up on stuff from a Dollar Tree i'll do so in the U.S. I go there 2 or 3 times a year to visit family/friends so when i'm there i'll stock up on some essentials that I find are cheaper there than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 05:48 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Classic Botti. Taking a stab at Toronto at every turn even when there is clear progress, like a little cloud of negativity on every Toronto-related thread. Now I can see living in France has clearly paid off for him.
Yes, I am already preparing words for the opening of the Spadina subway extension, as well as the final decision on that stupid Scarb.. subway ... something in line with "Toronto is finally as advanced as a French city with half a million people "

And each stab is always well deserved

Old 01-15-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes, I am already preparing words for the opening of the Spadina subway extension, as well as the final decision on that stupid Scarb.. subway ... something in line with "Toronto is finally as advanced as a French city with half a million people "

Hey well at least you won't have to worry about these things anymore. Life is too short to be gravitating to places that annoy or frustrate you. Especially when you have no links with them ie family/extensive network of friends that are holding you in their hooks. I didn't know you moved to France tbh but I do wish you the best Botti, both personally and professionally!

Last edited by fusion2; 01-15-2017 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Farewell
https://flic.kr/p/QAnNFM

Old 01-16-2017, 06:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Now the lights don't go on any more

Old 01-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Question .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Though the Scarborough subway extension wont help me as ( I live near 2 ttc stations and 2 go train stations lol ). I feel sorry for the people that live North of the North Way line and really west or east of it because transit become a huge pain. I am actually really surprised they wanted to expand east vs west first because as far as I could see the north west end it worst. I you to get so mad when at Finch Station there would be so many buses going east and the far less going west and always jam packed and if you missed the one going all the way to the end as many only go as far as York U along steeles ... you would have to wait another 30 minutes because before that were not even going that far got on before you. North Toronto I feel your pain and I am soooooooo glad I move far far far away from there. While you enjoy the traffic jams and bad transit ... I enjoy an area with a low population density ... less traffic, the lake and access to 4 transit station ! This is actually really ironic that the area that I live in has a really low population density and had all these stations near it ... plus technically I could even drive a boat from the bluffs to downtown lol... so that it totally like another transit option ! And on top of that there are so many grave yards around this part of the city which also helps cap how many more people can live in this area ( We got lots of quite neighbours in South Scarb. !)

Old 01-23-2017, 11:14 AM

669 posts, read 321,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Though the Scarborough subway extension wont help me as ( I live near 2 ttc stations and 2 go train stations lol ). I feel sorry for the people that live North of the North Way line and really west or east of it because transit become a huge pain. I am actually really surprised they wanted to expand east vs west first because as far as I could see the north west end it worst. I you to get so mad when at Finch Station there would be so many buses going east and the far less going west and always jam packed and if you missed the one going all the way to the end as many only go as far as York U along steeles ... you would have to wait another 30 minutes because before that were not even going that far got on before you. North Toronto I feel your pain and I am soooooooo glad I move far far far away from there. While you enjoy the traffic jams and bad transit ... I enjoy an area with a low population density ... less traffic, the lake and access to 4 transit station ! This is actually really ironic that the area that I live in has a really low population density and had all these stations near it ... plus technically I could even drive a boat from the bluffs to downtown lol... so that it totally like another transit option ! And on top of that there are so many grave yards around this part of the city which also helps cap how many more people can live in this area ( We got lots of quite neighbours in South Scarb. !)
Let me guess... Cliffside area? I agree that that's one of the most underrated areas of the City. So funny to see all these people, especially young couples just having had or about to have a kid, all obsessed with moving up North or East, wanting a new build, etc., then complaining about traffic, costs, time spent on the road.

Scarbs has gotten much more expensive recently. But mann, I was looking at some investment properties and up until about 2.5 years ago, you could get a bungalow on a decent lot near the King area (north of Kingston rd) for about 430k.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:04 PM

Default : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
Let me guess... Cliffside area? I agree that that's one of the most underrated areas of the City. So funny to see all these people, especially young couples just having had or about to have a kid, all obsessed with moving up North or East, wanting a new build, etc., then complaining about traffic, costs, time spent on the road.

Scarbs has gotten much more expensive recently. But mann, I was looking at some investment properties and up until about 2.5 years ago, you could get a bungalow on a decent lot near the King area (north of Kingston rd) for about 430k.
... Basically. The home prices in this area over the last 10 years have almost doubled in some cases. Also because many of these homes are on bigger lots construction rates ex old homes being knocked down and rebuilt in to huge 905 style homes ( but on bigger lots ) is common.

Regardless it is an area of the city that had a huge amount of potential.

There lost of great spots of live in the city, but in general I am 100% a fan on beng Eglinton or South specially to the Lake and the Subway Line.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Hey KLM

This one is for you

Sam the Record Man sign to light up Yonge-Dundas Square later this year - Toronto - CBC News

Quote:
We are very pleased to announce the iconic Sam the Record Man signs, with their spinning neon discs, will once again illuminate downtown*Toronto," Ryerson president and vice-chancellor*Mohamed Lachemi said in a statement.
also

Quote:
Last month, Mirvish Productions announced that a portion of the Honest Ed's sign will be restored and added to the exterior of the Ed Mirvish Theatre, also on Victoria Street, which is the theatre's back entrance.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:22 PM

Default : )!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I heard there were talks of it being put up elsewhere in the city. I am really happy with this. I think as the city re-developed we have to ensure the heritage of the city is incorporated in this growth. The store and that sign is truely a very important part of this cities heritage. This city needs to maintain all the wow factor's it can to help ensure we don't end up being just a bland generic place in the world.

Periodically the sign is still lit up since Dec 31 2016. I am not sure why... but on occasion so some still flicks on the switch. I personally think it would be pretty cool if one the area was developed a piece of the sign was re-installed somewhere. After all the area is called Mirvish Village. What a legacy. Ed should be really proud. Look at all the contributions he made to this city. I think there would be nothing cooler then to be responsible for creating something that influental somewhere that would last long after you have died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto