Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 10:39 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times

Advertisements

I just remembered Honest Ed's is going to be closing forever on Dec 31st 2016. I went in last week just to be sort of take on last look at the historic site. I am going to miss that bright shining sign while I walk past Bloor and Bathurst. It was sad when the Sam the Record Man sign was removed.... but this will be a bigger blow. I got the say I love the lights when walking around downtown. This is sort why I really like Young and Dundas Square... along Young you have all the big flashing signs. I was there on Tuesday to what a show and the lights especailly around the holidays are really really nice. I got some cool photos. I actually wish they could incorporate the sign in to the new condos they are building there... but doubt that will happen.

Bye bye Honest Eds... you will be missed ( at least by me)!

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...editorial.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 03:01 AM

3,626 posts, read 3,414,985 times
KLM, as a Torontonian, you should know that it's "Yonge." Yes, pronounced "young," but it's spelled "Y O N G E." Sorry, but I've seen you make the mistake a few times, and me being an ex-Torontonian, it kind of bugs me to see that. No hard feelings?

With that being said, the death of Honest Ed's is the end of a Toronto institution. Ed's sayings, printed in his newspaper ads and prominently posted on the outside of the store (for example, "Come In and Get Lost!") are part of Toronto lore. His door-crasher specials (nickel turkeys at Christmas, for example) were brash enough to get press coverage every year.

I shopped there a few times. The store was a delightful bazaar, with colorful signs enticing you to buy whatever they were advertising. I don't think anybody could go into Honest Ed's without buying something; you didn't know you needed something until you went into Honest Ed's. Then, you realized you needed a lot.

I met "Honest Ed" Mirvish on many occasions. I worked near King and John back in the 1980s, and I would see him on King Street, as I was coming from the subway in the mornings. He'd be looking at his restaurant properties and the Royal Alex, when I was walking along King on my way to work. One day, I decided to meet him. I saw him on King, as usual, and I walked up with my hand outstretched and said, "Ed, good morning! My name is Chevy, and I see you every day when I go to work, and I just want to meet you and say hello."

He was very nice. He shook my hand, and we exchanged pleasantries. He never forgot my name, and after that, when I saw Ed on King Street in the mornings, I'd get a friendly "Hello, Chevy! How's it going today?" I'd greet him, and we'd make a little small talk, and off I'd go to work.

A gentleman to the core. Pity Honest Ed's is closing.

PS--I've got stories about Sam the Record Man too.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:54 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
"Come in and get lost!" lmao.

I've never been in there, but I do know the sign. Shame such an institution is leaving forever. Maybe the sign can.......remain lit?

Old 12-30-2016, 09:04 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,411,716 times
Man whats up with all these Toronto icons shutting down. First, the original sam the record man shut down now this? I wish they would have kept those flashing records.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:34 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
KLM, as a Torontonian, you should know that it's "Yonge." Yes, pronounced "young," but it's spelled "Y O N G E." Sorry, but I've seen you make the mistake a few times, and me being an ex-Torontonian, it kind of bugs me to see that. No hard feelings?

With that being said, the death of Honest Ed's is the end of a Toronto institution. Ed's sayings, printed in his newspaper ads and prominently posted on the outside of the store (for example, "Come In and Get Lost!") are part of Toronto lore. His door-crasher specials (nickel turkeys at Christmas, for example) were brash enough to get press coverage every year.

I shopped there a few times. The store was a delightful bazaar, with colorful signs enticing you to buy whatever they were advertising. I don't think anybody could go into Honest Ed's without buying something; you didn't know you needed something until you went into Honest Ed's. Then, you realized you needed a lot.

I met "Honest Ed" Mirvish on many occasions. I worked near King and John back in the 1980s, and I would see him on King Street, as I was coming from the subway in the mornings. He'd be looking at his restaurant properties and the Royal Alex, when I was walking along King on my way to work. One day, I decided to meet him. I saw him on King, as usual, and I walked up with my hand outstretched and said, "Ed, good morning! My name is Chevy, and I see you every day when I go to work, and I just want to meet you and say hello."

He was very nice. He shook my hand, and we exchanged pleasantries. He never forgot my name, and after that, when I saw Ed on King Street in the mornings, I'd get a friendly "Hello, Chevy! How's it going today?" I'd greet him, and we'd make a little small talk, and off I'd go to work.

A gentleman to the core. Pity Honest Ed's is closing.

PS--I've got stories about Sam the Record Man too.
Many of my spelling errors are related to carelessness/ a lack of effort to edit what I am writing... but that spelling mishap is related to auto correct on my smart phone ! Most of what I do post is done while either waiting for people or while travelling.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:37 AM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
"Come in and get lost!" lmao.

I've never been in there, but I do know the sign. Shame such an institution is leaving forever. Maybe the sign can.......remain lit?
There are few iconic signs in the city that I really think should be deemed hertiage and new construction should have to incorportate it. Ex the Honest Ed's one.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:40 AM

Default Eaton's

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Man whats up with all these Toronto icons shutting down. First, the original sam the record man shut down now this? I wish they would have kept those flashing records.
I was in University the Eaton's Department Store at the Eaton's Centre closed now. I was under the impression that the status of T Eaton that stat outside the Eaton Cetnre got put in the ROM ... but I have never noticed it when I have visted the ROM. Not exactly sure where they are keeping it?

Old 12-30-2016, 02:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,243,294 times
Just for the record, the Honest Ed's site will become a new community of rental apartments, not condos, and the old houses in Mirvish Village will be retained and incorporated into the new development. Also, Markham street will become a new pedestrian promenade -- so this new development has the potential to be a great thing for the neighbourhood.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:30 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,243,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The Sam's spinning neon records sign will be reinstalled at the top of the public health building on Victoria street facing Dundas Square.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:17 PM

I only care about the sign.... the store itself was a waste of space in recent years.

It would have been an excellent theatre location. It will be interesting to see how the area changes if it is going to be apartment rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto