Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter-40c View Post
Thats Not True at all, Canadians are nice people iam a Canadian my self i lived in canada my whole life north of Toronto, and i like Americans i have cousins that are Americans and i have respect for Americans and Candians and i have respect for everybody on earth in all Contries.

Canadians Do Not Have issues with Americans.
I've been to Canada countless times. When I lived in Seattle, I went to Vancouver once a month...so at least 50 times. I've been to Montreal 7 times and Toronto 3 or 4 times.

You get what you put out...in most places (there are exceptions). I go to Canada and am very knowledgeable and respectful of their country, their geography, their history, etc. Obviously, I speak English, but I also speak French. I have been especially well-received in Quebec and have been told my French is very good numerous times. The Quebecois actually start asking questions to find out about about me and where I'm from...Quebec and Ontario are largely populated by immigrants.

I let everybody know I'm American. But then, I don't act like an American who thinks were are the "one and only" and knows nothing about the world around them. They pick up on the worldliness and treat me well...and not as an idiot American who is a disciple of Bush.

You should have NO problem in Toronto. It's Canada's New York and the most ethnically diverse city I've ever been in...sort of on a par with London. They call THEMSELVES a "cultural mosaic." My problem with the area is the weather. I can't handle cold winters.

Sidebar:
Why does America and American have to be defined by Bush? I voted for Kerry in 04 (Bush in 00) and the whole thing gets annoying. It's almost as if he is the scapegoat for 1/2 a century's problems. It's a much BIGGER problem that that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:42 PM

11 posts, read 60,296 times
I am a Canadian born/US citizen; moved to California when I was 2 years of age and moved back to Canada when I was 25. I'm more American than anything else and have been living in Canada now for 8 years. Anyhow, I have never hid the fact of my American upbringing and citizenship and have never had a problem with anyone. Most people, if anything, would question why the heck did I leave California to come to colder weather! And of course I get the good ole' Yankee jokes a lot as well. Might I add though, while living in California and asked where I was born, when responding Toronto, I would get tons of "Ay!" jokes and other Canadian stereotypes of responses. Bottom line, I got jokes from both ends but never anything hurtful!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:13 PM

222 posts, read 579,121 times
I have never had a problem inToronto or Vancouver by a matter of fact, someone from Vancouver thought I was from Vancouver they can't tell the difference.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:37 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zneergz View Post
Stereotypes are a possibility, as they are a possibility everywhere, but we as Canadians offer our home to anybody who is going to contribute to "canadian society" in a positive manner, this includes US citizens as well.

I do not forsee you running into any problems at all, eh.
I suspect a good friend of mine will be applying for Canadian citizenship in the next year or two, if he hasn't already. He is working at the University of Toronto and absolutely loves it. He really enjoys the Chem. Dept. he works there, he's a PhD in Chemistry and says He has "found his home." It is difficult for me to dislike anyplace that treats my friend well.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:48 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
The anti Americanism of most Canadians is kinda hard to define but it's not on a personal level as such. It's more of a dislike for the American system of government and the everpresent steriotype ignorant, nationalistic bombastic American. It's sort of a benign prejudice if there can be such a thing. I know of many Canadians who actually hate the USA and would never go there but on the other hand would be friendly, kind and helpful to any American they met. I deplore a type of Canadian nationalism that measures your Canadianism by how much you dislike the USA. I find this trait to be on the decline for sure and that is a good thing.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
if people feel there is 'anti-americanism', its most likely the snobbiness you would get from any cosmopolitan area. i think its "Interpreted" wrongly, when in fact those dispensing this 'anti-' behaviour arent being selective at all to whom they insult.

not that that is the rule in toronto, although the area, like NYC, et al, has its share of impersonal hurried modernites.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
I wouldn't say Toronto's anti-American at all. We have to put up with immigrants, refugees, etc from hundreds of countries with different religions, beliefs, and customs. Americans are the least of our concern.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 PM

10 posts, read 46,006 times
The downtown radical element, Queen West, rag sheets like "Eye" and "Now" are anti-American for sure. Canadians like to think themselves sophisticated and urbane, but can be very provincial too. A more passive anti-Americanism has always existed here, a reaction to being in the shadow of the U.S. As a Canadian I have had great experiences travelling in the U.S. over the years, but unfortunately Americans are stereotyped as loud, militaristic and uninterested in the world outside their borders. People generalize. Not every Canadian is "nice" either, not every French citizen is arrogant etc.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,249 times
there are subtle differences in the Canadian culture but the differences are not as different as just a little more refined. It's basically a refined American culture with an international flavor. I would say just be on your best behavior and you will fine. Examples; remove your shoes at the door while visiting someones home, cover your mouth when you cough, quiet down a little when others seem quiet. People in Canada don't like arrogant, ignorant disrespectful people. If you happen to be one of these types and they find out you are American then you are in trouble.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:20 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturtle View Post
some of these comments are just ridiculous. Despite what you might have heard, all canadians don't just simply hate the u.s. For the sake of hating them. Like robynator said, you won't be treated too kindly if you're loud and arrogant. If you decide to wear a "usa #1" shirt, a nascar cap and a neon fanny pack and constantly remind us how america is better than canada in every little way, then you might encounter a little hostility.

We don't hate america, we just hated your former president and everything he stood for. Now that you have a competent leader, all is forgiven.
+1lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto