Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 5,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Honestly - if you spend 2-3 hours commuting back and forth to work either by PT or even car you have one person to blame for that and 1 only - yourself!!
Why are you so effin' judgmental? Some people can't afford to live in Toronto but that's where uni or your workplace is.

I came to Canada in August 2012 from Europe and had a very hard time making friends here. I mean real friends not good weather buddies. I love meeting new folks, I talk to people, I make them laugh, I ask them questions about their lives. Still, I have not even one person I could call a friend here. People here are obsessed with their work. A "friend" of mine never says yes to anything I propose. Be it a concert, a trip, a freakin' movie! He is always broke, or tired, or has to work and he is only 22.
I talk to people in one of my uni courses and we get along pretty well. However, not one has ever proposed to hang out after class or on weekends.
In high school I threw a party and invited the entire class. I was really good with people, everyone liked me because I was this "European outgoing straightforward funny" girl (or pretended to like me). So yeah, in the end those 15-20 people all bailed on me. It is my nature to smile at people, to say thank you for every tiny **** somebody does for me, sometimes even to flirt with people. Still, no real friendships have developed so far whereas in Europe it was so easy to meet new people and make friends. There was always at least one person to say Yes! to an invitation to do something. There is a concert next week which I will definitely attend but unfortunately all by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 05:34 PM

287 posts, read 306,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperAtTheGatesofDawn View Post
Why are you so effin' judgmental? Some people can't afford to live in Toronto but that's where uni or your workplace is.

I came to Canada in August 2012 from Europe and had a very hard time making friends here. I mean real friends not good weather buddies. I love meeting new folks, I talk to people, I make them laugh, I ask them questions about their lives. Still, I have not even one person I could call a friend here. People here are obsessed with their work. A "friend" of mine never says yes to anything I propose. Be it a concert, a trip, a freakin' movie! He is always broke, or tired, or has to work and he is only 22.
I talk to people in one of my uni courses and we get along pretty well. However, not one has ever proposed to hang out after class or on weekends.
In high school I threw a party and invited the entire class. I was really good with people, everyone liked me because I was this "European outgoing straightforward funny" girl (or pretended to like me). So yeah, in the end those 15-20 people all bailed on me. It is my nature to smile at people, to say thank you for every tiny **** somebody does for me, sometimes even to flirt with people. Still, no real friendships have developed so far whereas in Europe it was so easy to meet new people and make friends. There was always at least one person to say Yes! to an invitation to do something. There is a concert next week which I will definitely attend but unfortunately all by myself.
Thank you! I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this way....And I would love to meet you someday so we can spend some time bitching about this together

Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:

Are you ok - like seriously? I don't know anything that I wrote that would propel you to what you did in red ..

The experience you have is yours - certainly isn't mine... Anyway I even asked the guy who what he was interested in because i wanted to give him some ideas - he didn't respond to me.. Common theme i'm seeing with all the Toronto is hard to make friends thing is that there is quite a bit of anger within you guys.. If you try to engage in discussion or help the person they get all angry...Is this Toronto's fault or more probably that the individual is awkward and a social basket case.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-30-2015 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Is this Toronto's fault or more probably that the individual is awkward and a social basket case.
Always easy to insult people though the anonymity provided by the internet. Are you in your teenage years?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Always easy to insult people though the anonymity provided by the internet. Are you in your teenage years?
Well we're all on the internet here but if any of you want to meet for a coffee in REAL life lol send me a pvt message - i'm game... I doubt i'd have a chance to talk to people in the flesh about generalizing a city the size of T.O as hard to make friends though.. I'd imagine even though I would reach out to help them they would be too socially awkward to assist.

To answer the part highlighted in pink - HECK NO... I'm over those angst filled awkward years... I bet you ten dollars to a whole in the donut the VAST majority of kids complaining T.O is hard to make friends are either teens or tweens....... Don't worry - it'll get better as you move into adulthood and expand your horizons! Its hard being a young person I know.. I do know in College I was swinging around clubs getting thrown out of bars with my mates or drunk half the week at house parties - I dunno what's going on with kids these days if nobody parties anymore in College...

I see you and moveagain are friends now - see you just proved yourselves wrong - awwwwww....... Just remember, the guy won't even go out for a beer zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by fusion2; 01-30-2015 at 07:52 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 08:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsUk7OCbb74

Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Well we're all on the internet here but if any of you want to meet for a coffee in REAL life lol send me a pvt message
Uhm, no thanks.

Quote:
I'd imagine even though I would reach out to help them they would be too socially awkward to assist.
It's always them, right? Never you .

Quote:
Don't worry - it'll get better as you move into adulthood and expand your horizons! Its hard being a young person I know.
I do hope you're right. Being 23 is so difficult. I'm gonna listen to some My Chemical Romance or something like that.

Quote:
I see you and moveagain are friends now - see you just proved yourselves wrong - awwwwww....... Just remember, the guy won't even go out for a beer zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Maybe he'll change his mind

Oh, BTW: not meaning to insult you in turn now but I'm getting kind of a gay vibe from you. Am I right in my assumption if I may ask? And please try to be adult about this. I really don't wanna offend you or something. In fact, if I am right I might have to change my answer to your invitation for coffee :P

Last edited by PiperAtTheGatesofDawn; 01-30-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Oh, BTW: not meaning to insult you in turn now but I'm getting kind of a gay vibe from you. Am I right in my assumption if I may ask? And please try to be adult about this. I really don't wanna offend you or something. In fact, if I am right I might have to change my answer to your invitation for coffee :P
Of course i'm gay - its well known in the Canada forums about that lol - i'm gay and married to a Venezuelan... All i know is i've never had problems making friends from childhood well into adulthood including meeting my partner and getting married..

I really do think - and correct me if I'm wrong that the younger generation - i'm 39 btw are a bit more aloof these days.. They are growing up with social media and technology etc - they're just a bit different - always connected to something other than another human being..

As for the coffee thing - of course i was saying it in jest (i'm harmless and really just trying to show how silly it is generalizing a city with millions of millions of different people) but in all seriousness and look back in my posts - I asked your friend moveagain what his interests were to which I got NO response whatsoever - it wasn't because I wanted to meet him and jump his bones lol..

Believe it or not - i was engaging in a genuine dialogue and wanted to give the guy ideas to help him... The best way to meet friends is to connect with individuals with like interests you are passionate about. I can switch on the adult mode if i'm actually speaking to someone who can do likewise

Quote:

It's always them, right? Never you .
I'm not the one complaining about not having any friends in Toronto hun

Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Uhm, no thanks...
That's fine with me lol... Who's being friendly and who's not....

As for me always bitching - i'm trying to get you guys to see 'beyond'

Old 01-30-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
That's fine with me lol... Who's being friendly and who's not....
Why didn't you tell me before that you were gay? Now I totally want you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto