Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 12:52 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times

Advertisements

Is the Prius truly a very liberal car?

Who cares. It's a sellout our Nation car. We have other vehicles that are safer, 10 times better looking and from the US companies made in the US. I say it's an idiot's car regardless of political leanings. And a guaranteed traffic jam causer. Need proof? Why is everyone of them the first vehicle in a slow line of traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 04:28 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
So if the Prius is primarly a car built for low energy/oil use and that somehow makes it a liberal car, am I to believe that being concerned about low energy use and by assumption the environment is a liberal thing?
And if being concerned about the environment and low energy/oil use is a liberal thing and they wouldn't be caught dead driving a Prius then it follows that conservatives do not care about the environment.
Maybe on your trip you can swing by the Gulf and go for a long swim.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Just last week I negotiated a renting a V6 Mustang for $20/day (not a typo) from Budget on a vacation to Florida. You and your friends will have much more fun too.
That's assuming it's the 2011 V6 and not the 2010, which can't get out of it's own way.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Well the so called experts are callin for gas prices to be between 5 & 10$'s a gallon by 2012, a lot of us will be driving smaller fuel efficient cars before it's all said and done.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Well the so called experts are callin for gas prices to be between 5 & 10$'s a gallon by 2012, a lot of us will be driving smaller fuel efficient cars before it's all said and done.
Experts? I think they must be sippin' on the bottle a bit. Fuel prices will remain in the $3 range for many years to come.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Hey, my friends and I are renting a Prius for a 2 week cross country trip, going from Baltimore to Los Angeles and then back again. We decided on the a Prius because we reckon it might same us some money on gas because of the fuel efficiency, and because since its a rental we won't be responsible for maintenance or whatever.

Its suddenly crossed my mind however about the Prius's very liberal reputation, that its a car driven mostly by typical East Coast yuppies and liberal Democrats, especially those into trends and fads (fads like Obama, etc). We're nothing like that, and we'll be going through a lot of Middle America and the southern states. Are we going to be mistakened for the typical arrogant, pretentious East Coast liberal? I hope not because I'm nowhere near that kind of person. I am a patriotic conservative American from a blue collar family who voted for George Bush twice and also for McCain. I despise liberals actually since my grandfather escaped from communist China. My dream car, once I finish grad school and have the money will be either a large SUV like the Expedition, a Hummer, and/or a large Chevy pickup truck.

Maybe we should see if there are any McCain-Palin bumper stickers to be bought on Amazon, or maybe a Christian or Confederate bumper sticker...hmmm....

Anyways is it true that most people see the Prius as a very liberal car that people buy to show their political motivations such as tree huggers, showing oppostion to the war, etc.

LMAO! What a dweeb.

Lessee, you're worried about being perceived as some kind of liberal while driving across the central portion of the U.S. in a Prius. Can you at all understand how stupid that sounds to someone who lives there? If you drove past me I would see an Asian driving a Prius with a McCain sticker on the bumper.

The most noticeable thing I'd see? The sticker.

Your perception of our part of the country is backwards, ignorant, and insulting, and it shows a cultural bias that is astounding.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:03 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's assuming it's the 2011 V6 and not the 2010, which can't get out of it's own way.

Yes, it was a 2011 with 307hp.

However, the year model is pretty irrelevant when comparing it to a Prius. Just to give you an idea, the 2011 can pull off a 5.1 sec 0-60 and the '10 a 6.9. It will take the 2010 Prius 10.2 seconds to crawl to 60 and pretty much after that it starts to fall flat on it's face. Comparing any '10 or '11 Mustang to a Prius is like comparing an F1 car to a Schwinn.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Is the Prius truly a very liberal car?..Why is everyone of them the first vehicle in a slow line of traffic?
I don't know, but the Prius drivers often take liberty when 'gesturing' me, possibly due to my bumper sticker.

"50 mpg since 1976, Where have you been? No Dinosaurs or OPEC required!" No Toxic Batteries either. I can run 100% w/o battery (with manual fuel shut-off) Very ez to 'bump start'... I used one (Rabbit) for 3 yrs that didn't have a functional starter.

They get even more raucous when I tell them I got my current 'Rabbit' for $35.00 after I found it in my neighbor's brier patch.

For that price I do keep plenty of spares around. But for air bag safety, I have to pull out my '96 & '97 Passat TDI's. They get 52 mpg and have 25 gal tanks. 1200 miles between fuel stops.

When I travel in my VW with the fleet of Prius' from the university, I wait for them for a LONG-time at our cross state destinations and then inquire "where have you been?" whoops They usually stop at least twice for fuel, in each direction, and I do the round trip on a 1/2 tank of environmentally friendly Bio-diesel (from WVO). I can hardly wait for Algae based feedstock.

BTW, Bio-D makes a great cleaning agent for oil spills.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Experts? I think they must be sippin' on the bottle a bit. Fuel prices will remain in the $3 range for many years to come.
Dream on, it's about to get ugly read the oil barrel.com and see what well are truely going to be coming on line in the next few years and which are running dry. Peak oil has already happened more 50+mpg cars will be coming to a dealer to you and will be selling well. Hope gm gets it this time.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Dream on, it's about to get ugly read the oil barrel.com and see what well are truely going to be coming on line in the next few years and which are running dry. Peak oil has already happened more 50+mpg cars will be coming to a dealer to you and will be selling well. Hope gm gets it this time.
They've debunked the peak oil theory many years ago, you can google it and find tons of information on why it is simply not correct.

Secondly, most wells are not running dry. We have more oil in Alaska that is untapped than we could use in our lifetime, eventually we'll tap it but we aren't going to see $5/ gallon oil anytime in the near future.

Many Americans like myself will never buy an economy car and how many vehicles right now get actual 50+ mpg? Lets try a big, fat ZERO. I'll always be driving a truck or SUV, I don't like to cram myself into even a midsized vehicle anytime, it simply isn't comfortable.

If you truly believe we are going to see $10/ gallon fuel prices by 2012, I'd be stocking up on weapons and ammo because the economy of the world would simply crash and burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion