Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM

202 posts, read 864,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
tell me one thing i said which was "untrue"
#13, #24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
You missed my point.. The reason why I said the 4-banger will be at 3000-4k is due to lack of sufficient torque at those rpm ranges to keep the car moving at 60mph.. Hence it needs to be revved higher which means more gas waste..
I did not miss your point. If you really believe a 4cyl Camry can't cruise in 6th gear at 60mph the you have a few more screws loose than I thought or you are just blinded by love. It takes very little power/torque to maintain 60mph and any passenger vehicle will maintain that speed in its tallest gear unless you are going up a hill or passing, at which time most vehicles will downshift including your beloved V6.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,720,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Wrong wheel drive? If you live in Colorado or anywhere that gets regular snow, a rear wheel drive sports car is out of consideration, unless if it's a second car and not a daily driver. Of course, AWD or 4WD is best. Closest thing there is to a Camry but with AWD is the Subaru Legacy.
I was talking about as a performance vehicle, the Camry is wrong-wheel drive. As a regular sedan, FWD is just fine but usually in a performance vehicle, it's much better to have a RWD or AWD vehicle. You lose a lot of power and potential by having FWD instead of RWD in a 0-60 time. If the Camry would have the same motor but be a RWD vehicle, you'd likely see at least a marginal improvement to mid 5s instead of upper 5s.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,240,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay87 View Post
I did not miss your point. If you really believe a 4cyl Camry can't cruise in 6th gear at 60mph the you have a few more screws loose than I thought or you are just blinded by love. It takes very little power/torque to maintain 60mph and any passenger vehicle will maintain that speed in its tallest gear unless you are going up a hill or passing, at which time most vehicles will downshift including your beloved V6.
Well for one, your 4cyl Camry won't be on 6th gear at 60mph..

But with that said, the 4cyl Camry isn't a very small engine, with a 2.5L displacement it is more than adequate for driving..

Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Well for one, your 4cyl Camry won't be on 6th gear at 60mph..

But with that said, the 4cyl Camry isn't a very small engine, with a 2.5L displacement it is more than adequate for driving..
Have you driven a 4cyl camry? It most certainly will be in 6th gear at 60. The modern transmission is controled to get to top gear as quickly as possible for fuel efficiency.

You don't need to concede by saying the 4cyl is adequate. I don't own a camry and don't plan to. I have driven both and I don't think the 4cyl is any better or worse than the V6. People will want each for different reasons. You need to get your facts straight about the 4cyl v. V6 or just admit that you like the V6.

Get what you want, no need to validate your decision with untrue facts about the 4cyl. In no world will the V6 beat the 4cyl in MPGs under the same conditions.

Just for reference, if I were in the market for a midsize sedan I would probably buy a V6 for the power, and accept the fact that I will spend a few hundred extra dollars on gas instead of trying to convince myself of some silly theory.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,240,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay87 View Post
Have you driven a 4cyl camry? It most certainly will be in 6th gear at 60. The modern transmission is controled to get to top gear as quickly as possible for fuel efficiency.

You don't need to concede by saying the 4cyl is adequate. I don't own a camry and don't plan to. I have driven both and I don't think the 4cyl is any better or worse than the V6. People will want each for different reasons. You need to get your facts straight about the 4cyl v. V6 or just admit that you like the V6.

Get what you want, no need to validate your decision with untrue facts about the 4cyl. In no world will the V6 beat the 4cyl in MPGs under the same conditions.

Just for reference, if I were in the market for a midsize sedan I would probably buy a V6 for the power, and accept the fact that I will spend a few hundred extra dollars on gas instead of trying to convince myself of some silly theory.
I haven't driven the 4cyl Camry but I've driven many I-4's.. Example, Homda Accord, Ford focus & Hyundai sonata 2.0 (turbocharged) and they're all sluggish and 'gutless' compared to the V6 Camry.. They don't have that effortless cruise, you always have to keep revving them pretty hard (especially tje 2.0t sonata) to get moving and you will never achieve that tremendous burst of power you get with V6 Camry at WOT..

Speaking of mpg, I'm certain the V6 Camry achieved better mileage in hwy driving compared to the 4cyl..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,506,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Maybe a lame race horse being dragged to the glue factory... The hybrid is a low 7 second car, the V6 a high 5 second car. The hybrid is about half a tick faster than the non-hybrid 4 pot, however. It's got the same roughly $3,000 premium over the 4 pot. Honestly, if I mostly did city driving or lived in stop-go traffic hell, I'd get the hybrid over the 4 cylinder. Break-even time is about 6 years with the hybrid, the hybrid holds its value a bit better, and hybrids off the line are pretty fun. But I mostly do highway driving on open roads where the hybrid doesn't have much of an advantage. Point me at a diesel, please.
Wth are you talking about?. The hybrid is rated at 38-39 mpg on highway and I regularly get 39-43mpg. The v6 is rated at 30, I regularly see 28, MAYBE 29.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,506,506 times
Quote:
I haven't driven the 4cyl Camry but I've driven many I-4's.. Example, Homda Accord, Ford focus & Hyundai sonata 2.0 (turbocharged) and they're all sluggish and 'gutless' compared to the V6 Camry.. They don't have that effortless cruise, you always have to keep revving them pretty hard (especially tje 2.0t sonata) to get moving and you will never achieve that tremendous burst of power you get with V6 Camry at WOT..

Speaking of mpg, I'm certain the V6 Camry achieved better mileage in hwy driving compared to the 4cyl..
Your wrong about that.. Ive driven the whole 2012 camry line, thousands of miles.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,577,173 times
Toyota Camry SE V6 Road Test – Review – Car and Driver

This is a review of the 2012 Toyota Camry SE V6

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.1 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 6.1 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 3.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.3 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 128 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 173 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g

It's a very quick straight line sedan but it's suspension is still set up for comfort so hard cornering is not in performance car level. Straight line times are respectable for an affordable family sedan with appliance styling. What would be nice is if Toyota could drop this V6 and 6 speed transmission into a light weight coupe like the Toyobaru they're releasing as a Scion.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Good job changing trying change the subject with your opinion. I don't care if you think those cars are sluggish, that is not what we are discussing and that is an opinion not a fact, you say sluggish, an other may say peppy, so I'm not going to debate your opinion.

The one fact you did try to claim, again, for the umpteenth time, is still wrong! The V6 is not going to ever get better gas mileage than the 4cyl under the same driving circumstances, never ever forever. It is not possible to be driving these cars side by side and any given speed under any given condition and have the 4cyl use more gasoline.

Please, if you are certain the V6 achieved better MPG, offer something other than your opinion that this is so. You tried to claim the 4cyl would be reving at 3-4k rpm, wrong. You tried to say the car won't hold 6th gear at 60mph, wrong. And now you just compare the performance aspects of the two which is not what is my concern, I know the V6 is faster. So what do you have, fact not opinion, that the car won't hold 6th gear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion