Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:08 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,216,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

You have anything you want to use to refute this "only goes well in a straight line" car? The first linked article even mentions how people with old preconceptions would be surprised.
I don't do battle of the weblinks. You don't have to agree with my opinion on the matter but I believe you just proved the point I made in my last post. As they say, case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 PM

73 posts, read 164,811 times
I've noticed in the past few years that Toyota quality has appeared to take a "nose dive." After talking to a good friend of mine that does body work for a living, he confirmed much of my concerns. He said they were able to pull the radiator mounts off of a Yaris by hand, a sure indicator of excellent quality

As a side note, quality and reliability are not the same thing!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,961 times
My mother's 99 Camry was the biggest piece of crap she ever owned.. (shrugs)

I'd never buy a Toyota either. I 've saved a bundle over my lifetime purchasing cars off of Consumer Report's "used cars to avoid" list

Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM

415 posts, read 1,779,990 times
I have massive respect for what the imports have accomplished, especially Toyota and Honda.

Even now, Toyota has introduced some truly innovative, even stunning new vehicles. The Prius has inspired a level of devotion and loyalty which is truly remarkable. Their attempt to introduce hybrids into the SUV and even sport luxury segments is laudable.

But they've also churned out a bunch of crap based upon survey marketing towards a supposedly hip demographic 18-35: college students and newly minted yuppies. The Scion and Yaris were/are truly embarrassing. And beginning with the 1997 toyota camry, their blatant attempts at cost cutting yielded, I think for the first time, a truly non Toyota-esque Toyota.

Their problem is that they are trying to become the biggest car and truck company in the world, not by producing the very best products, but by trying to make something for everyone. Ask GM if this strategy worked.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I don't do battle of the weblinks. You don't have to agree with my opinion on the matter but I believe you just proved the point I made in my last post. As they say, case closed.
Absolutely. I have sited 3 different magazines that have test driven the car vs. competition and all of them pretty much agreed with my points.

The only valid point you made was that the interior suffered in comparison to cars costing much more.

I agree that you were incorrect that this was a straightline horsepower vehicle. IF you care to refute this, please post support.

Really, I have been wrong MANY times on this forum and been man enough when faced with updated information I was unaware of....admitted my error. Your choice.

Honestly, not even Jesus was perferct.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Honestly, not even Jesus was perferct.
Neither is your spelling.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:28 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,895 times
Default Here's why!

Ford Fusion=MADE IN MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lincoln MKZ=MADE IN MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mercury Milan=MADE IN MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Toyota Camry=MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Toyota Corolla=MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Toyota Avalon=MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!
Toyota Tundra=MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many Toyota chassis/transmission/driveline parts=MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 01:25 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I have massive respect for what the imports have accomplished, especially Toyota and Honda.

Even now, Toyota has introduced some truly innovative, even stunning new vehicles. The Prius has inspired a level of devotion and loyalty which is truly remarkable. Their attempt to introduce hybrids into the SUV and even sport luxury segments is laudable.

But they've also churned out a bunch of crap based upon survey marketing towards a supposedly hip demographic 18-35: college students and newly minted yuppies. The Scion and Yaris were/are truly embarrassing. And beginning with the 1997 toyota camry, their blatant attempts at cost cutting yielded, I think for the first time, a truly non Toyota-esque Toyota.

Their problem is that they are trying to become the biggest car and truck company in the world, not by producing the very best products, but by trying to make something for everyone. Ask GM if this strategy worked.

This GM strategy worked for decades. It was after the idiot bean counters that wanted to cut cost took over that GM fell down. It was the cost cutting stupidity that has bought them down, not the be the largest in the world with something for everyone idea.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
R&T is a grocery store rag. I don't consider it proof. You said that your vehicle is better than vehicles unless you spend 2x as much and that IMO simply isn't true. Yes I am talking about the Z06 and yes I have ridden in one. I don't fault the Z06 for what it is, but it isn't a destroyer of other cars in this price range or anywhere up to 2x this range.

I am responding to this comparison to other vehicles in this price range which I have ridden in as well and there simply isn't any comparison between the two. I've also seen the manufacturing operation of this vehicle and other than the space frame and drive train, it's sent down the same line as the regular versions of this vehicle with the same level of competence and quality of manufacturing.

The truth is the Corvette is the very best performance vehicle you can but for the money x3. I've driven them all, from Ferrari to base Corvette, and I'd much rather have the Vette 99 percent of the time. Only in an extreme corner is the electrical controled suspension of the high end Ferrari slightly better than the Zo6. nd the Corvette will out run them in to the corner, and power away from them coming out of the corner.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
If I owned a Toyota and it was recalled for that purpose, I wouldn't even bother to take it in for repair. Think about it. It would take me a half a day to go into the shop and have the repair done. the average Toyota owner has about 30,000 half-days remaining in his life. One person in, let's say, 3-million will have their life shortened 30,000 half-days by a runaway Toyota. The payoff is 1/100 of the risk. It's like buying a lottery ticket that pays $30,000, but you know that they are selling 3-million tickets. Why waste your dollar? Why waste your half-a-day, on something so unlikely to affect you?

Every time you eat a doughnut, you are increasing your statistical chances of death more than if you continue to drive a potentially defective Toyota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion