Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 AM

15,437 posts, read 25,840,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It was a rediculous statement to begin with, it says nothing about the car, it says volumes about the skill of the average driver on the road though.
It speaks volumes about the car! If this is the solution to the problem then the car is not safe. Sure, the driver needs certain skills. I have those skills, but in 27 years have never had a car where it was necessary to do that because of something wrong with the car. Do you drive cars that you have to stand on the brakes, jam it into neutral, and shut off the engine to get it stopped? How many cars have you owned that needed these skills to stop? How many have you owned where the manufacturer specifically recommended these steps? The car is not safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:43 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,015,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Do you drive cars that you have to stand on the brakes, jam it into neutral, and shut off the engine to get it stopped? How many cars have you owned that needed these skills to stop?
Had a 79 pontiac grand prix that was close
Ok, granted, it's out of the ordinary, but it shouldn't require practice for a driver to figure out what to do when the throttle sticks. Most drivers are unprepared to deal with anything out of the ordinary, they panic, and bad things happen.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,578,002 times
I don't see Ford pulling the vehicles which are being reported to having sudden acceleration problems or people on here jumping on Ford for ingoring their obvious problem. http://www.safetyforum.com/fordsua/

Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,669,155 times
Many years ago I had a 1972 Datsun 1200 that had a similar problem. We would be driving along and the motor would start racing, causing uncontrollable acceleration. Adjusting the manual choke or putting my foot under the accelerator didn't help.

Finally I was able to figure out how to deal with it, and I got so I could shift into neutral, turn the ignition off, turn it back on, and shift back into gear all without stopping.

Now that was a scary problem.

This? I'm not too scared.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,262,308 times
This unintended acceleration is definitely not something new. I do not know if anyone will remember this, but back when I was just a kid in the mid 1980's they had a big problem with this in the Audi 5000's. Still, I do not remember anyone ever getting killed because of it. The difference is the sheer power of these newer Toyota's IMO. When you have a car that does 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, and have an inexperienced driver who freaks out if the car accelerator sticks, you have a recipe for disaster. The Audi 5000 was an absolute dog so it was easy to just hit the brakes to overpower the engine and stop the car unlike these newer toyota's.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:27 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,393,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Of course, Ford couldn't have done it without Mazda...
Mazda is not the reason Ford's quality has improved. The improvement is mostly due to improved communications between management, product development, and engineers, and proactively looking for and fixing defects on the line before vehicles begin shipping.

Mazda is a small fraction within the entire global operations of Ford Motor Company. No one entity is the reason Ford's quality has improved across the board.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,181,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I don't see Ford pulling the vehicles which are being reported to having sudden acceleration problems or people on here jumping on Ford for ingoring their obvious problem. Ford: Sudden Unintended Acceleration and Stuck Throttles
might be because the link you posted is a 2002 article referencing cars from 1998.

you seem really determined to make any thread regarding this recall turn into a 'Toyota vs Ford' thing. if you really want to have a discussion about this, why not start a new thread?

Mike

Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
might be because the link you posted is a 2002 article referencing cars from 1998.

you seem really determined to make any thread regarding this recall turn into a 'Toyota vs Ford' thing. if you really want to have a discussion about this, why not start a new thread?

Mike
Not making it a Toyota vs. Ford, just pointing out that Toyotas aren't the only vehicles having problems with Sudden Acceleration. Many on here don't seem to grasp that.

And thats a good idea whiiteboy, new thread is started.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Sudden Acceleration - its not just Toyota.

Yes Toyota seems to have more than their share and they are the big news maker now, but did you know that almost every manufacturer is having problems with sudden acceleration? Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Analysis shows over 40 percent of sudden-acceleration complaints involve Toyotas

Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,262,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Many years ago I had a 1972 Datsun 1200 that had a similar problem. We would be driving along and the motor would start racing, causing uncontrollable acceleration. Adjusting the manual choke or putting my foot under the accelerator didn't help.

Finally I was able to figure out how to deal with it, and I got so I could shift into neutral, turn the ignition off, turn it back on, and shift back into gear all without stopping.

Now that was a scary problem.

This? I'm not too scared.
Are you kidding me? A 60 horsepower pile of sh$t is basically harmless if the accelerator sticks, especially with a manual transmission. The newer Toyota's with 270 horsepower and an automatic are MUCH more deadly with an inexperienced driver faced with unintended acceleration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion