Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times

Advertisements

Glad I bought a Honda!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,446 times
Question Recent purchase of a Highlander!

Good Morning All,
Last week I purchased a 2006 Highlander from a state auction in Greensboro, NC. Paid cash and already have titile...what are your thoughts on trying to get out of this vehicle, trade-in at a dealership or should I just hold on to it and see what happens?? The only year they've annouced at this time is the 2010 model however, the investigation has just begun...undoubtably they will find more corruption with other vehicles.
Thanks,
Susan

Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy1019 View Post
Good Morning All,
Last week I purchased a 2006 Highlander from a state auction in Greensboro, NC. Paid cash and already have titile...what are your thoughts on trying to get out of this vehicle, trade-in at a dealership or should I just hold on to it and see what happens?? The only year they've annouced at this time is the 2010 model however, the investigation has just begun...undoubtably they will find more corruption with other vehicles.
Thanks,
Susan
What I would do:

1) Read the recall so you know what to do in case you actually have a failure.

2) Wait to see if your vehicle actually will fall under the recall. If it does, wait for Toyota to have a fix.

3) Hold on to the car. A lot of people will have a knee-jerk reaction to dump their Toyota. In fact, GM and Ford are banking on it by offering an additional $1K on Toyota trade-ins. But the same knee-jerk reaction that tells you to sell is also telling others not to buy. Let it all blow over. If, after some period of time you still want out, sell it then when America's ADD attention span has turned to some other popular issue.

Mike

Old 01-28-2010, 07:33 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellebrighi View Post
If I have a lease vehicle with toyota would I be able to void my contract because of the recall?
You actually may be able to. A friend of mine was able to return his Viper and get thousands of dollars, because it was sold to him with some engine issues that were not disclosed. Something like that isn't even as serious as a safety issue, so I think you have a good shot.

Of course the dealer won't just let you out of you ask, but if you get an attorney he/she may very well be able to release you from the contract.

In other news, Have you all noticed that Toyota stock down 9.3% since yesterday morning and Ford is up 6.4%. All I can say is Ford FTW, Toyota got pwn'ed!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Why should you get rid of it? I bet it has never given you any problems in the past, right? Just bring it to the dealer and get the recall done like I am going to do with mine. Problem solved.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Take the recall in stride. Local dealerships will fix the problem....If your auto encounters this problem while driving because you will feel your speed not reducing after you release the gas pedal then put the car in neutral "N".

When you apply the brakes and come to a stop turn the iginition off.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Just bring it to the dealer and get the recall done like I am going to do with mine. Problem solved.
When they have a solution, that is.

Mike

Old 01-28-2010, 09:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I drove my ford f150 with the trat of fire for sveral years then 6 months it took after the recall for ford to fis it. I drove a crown Vuic with teh unprotected gas take until it was traded in as it was never fixed except on police cars.There are plenty of problems out there o saftety that need fixing besides this.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
As much as I dislike Asian Cars, Don't worry about it. It's just a simple recall and every make has them from time to time. My wifes Tahoe had one for the Heated windshield wiper fluid, apparently they were causing fires. Trip to the dealership and problem solved.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 AM

404 posts, read 1,556,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Take the recall in stride. Local dealerships will fix the problem....If your auto encounters this problem while driving because you will feel your speed not reducing after you release the gas pedal then put the car in neutral "N".

When you apply the brakes and come to a stop turn the iginition off.
you see, but this doesn't sound safe to do in many situations, either

lets see....if the car starts going on its own, put the car in neutral and come to a stop. all while remembering to flash your hazards, checking traffic around you, and praying no one behind / around you goes slamming into you as your car rolls helplessly to a stop

how safe is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion