Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 07:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
In general, the NSX was regarded as the highest quality Japanese car for many years. My particular model had some minor issues, Water pump, thermostat, clutch, O2 sensors...adding up to around $3000 over the years. While this isn't perfect, it's not bad for a sports car either. There are many NSX's out there with 300k+ miles and running strong.

I think you missed my point though. Having had both an NSX and Z06, the Chevy has been the much more reliable car, which not many people (including myself) would have guessed beforehand. It just goes to show how some people mistakenly have the assumption that the comparative Japanese car will almost always be of higher quality.
Sure, and how many miles does your ZO6 have on it? I presume you're not using it as a daily driver. And isn't your ZO6 several model years newer than the NSX?

Also, I seem to recall you citing the Elise having a Toyota engine as one of its major selling points...

Last edited by Drover; 01-31-2010 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not an argument, just an opinion based on observation and patterns of quality control.
FWIW, you were saying the issue was the "Made in America" Toyotas; my point is that it's not, since they're recalling Toyotas in Europe too, which uses the Denso pedal (made in Japan).

Quote:
So long as it's the accountants dicatating which materials will be used in the manufacturing of a vehicle and not the engineers, I doubt much will change.
In other words, don't buy a Toyota, since cutting costs by 30% is an accountant move, not an engineering one.

REPORT: Toyota cutting supplier expenses by 30%, probably means using cheaper parts — Autoblog

Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
News, Problems at Toyota, JAL taint Japan Inc.'s image.

TOKYO (AP) - Toyota is the latest Japanese corporate icon making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

News of the automaker's massive vehicle recalls over faulty gas pedals in the U.S. came just days after Japan Airlines, a once proud flag carrier, filed for bankruptcy, saddled with billions in debt.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
How Toyota's President Lied To Matt Lauer

This morning on The Today Show, Toyota president Jim Lentz lied twice to Matt Lauer about Toyota's 2.3-million-vehicle accelerator pedal recall.

In the one-on-one exclusive interview with Matt Lauer, Toyota's Jim Lentz faced questions about the massive recall while simultaneously attempting to reassure customers.

But, as you can see in the video below, Lauer initially asks Lentz when the company knew about issues with "unwanted acceleration." The response? Let's charitably call it misleading:

LAUER: When did your company know, when did you personally know and other officials at your company know you had a serious problem with unwanted acceleration or slow response from acceleration?
LENTZ: In the case of the slow response, this most recent one, the first technical report that we had that we could duplicate the issue was in late October of last year.
Yeah, that's just wrong. According to the Defect Information Report filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on January 21, 2010 (it can be seen in the gallery below), Toyota received complaints about this issue as far back as March 2007 and were able to duplicate a pedal "slow to return to the idle position" as far back as June 2008, which caused them to change the material they used to make the equipment. However, for some reason, Toyota didn't see this as a safety issue but just a "drivability issue."

Where the big lie occurs is in Lentz's response to Lauer about this very issue. Lauer referenced the Tundra problem above and asked whether or not the original 2007 problem was related to sticking pedals:

LAUER: So in the letter you wrote, or your company wrote, to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration saying that they knew as of 2007 that there were some issues with Tundra trucks, was that the entrapment issue or was that unwanted acceleration because of a sticking pedal.
LENTZ: That was not sticking pedals, the initial concerns were over entrapment and we concentrated on mats and now we have reshaped the pedals on those vehicles to reduce the risk of that happening.
Uh, yeah. Then what the hell is this:

Toyota Defect Information Report; January 21, 2010
Starting in March 2007, Toyota received field technical information regarding reports of accelerator pedals demonstrating symptoms such as rough operation or being slow to return to the idle position. These reports were limited to one model (Tundra), and the accelerator pedal assemblies in those vehicles contained a friction lever made of the PA46 material. Toyota's investigation found that the PA46 material was susceptible to humidity, which could cause the friction lever to absorb moisture and swell. Environmental testing was conducted in order to understand the full impact of the swelling of the friction lever due to humidity. In February 2008, the material of the friction arm was changed to PPS while investigations continued. In June 2008, Toyota concluded that while accelerator pedal feeling could change under certain conditions, Toyota considered it to be a drivability issue unrelated to safety.

While the Tundra is also included in the floor mat recall, Toyota's own records indicate there was concern about the accelerator pedal in 2008 as well and to say otherwise is either an admission that he, too, is confused by what's really at fault here or he's attempting to mince words to make it appear this is a sudden issue for them and not something they've been investigating since 2007.
link: http://jalopnik.com/...d-to-matt-lauer

Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
... and now Apple's co-founder, Steve Wozniak, is calling out software issues in the new Prius.

Apple Co-Founder Claims Toyota Prius Has "Scary" Software Problem He Can Dupilcate - Toyota - Jalopnik

Old 02-02-2010, 04:13 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
Isn't this interesting
Quote:
In addition, Toyota will install a new brake system on models affected by that recall, including the Prius hybrid, that will stop the vehicle if the accelerator and the brake are both engaged.
Reuters.com

So, blame the pedal manufacturer and quietly reflash the ROM to disengage the accelerator when the brake is pressed. What is Toyota going to do when this same problem shows up on cars without the CTS pedal. My guess is they are going to come out with a statement similar to

"Because Toyota is commited to quality they are asking all Toyota and Lexus owners to bring in their car for a free inspection".

Then all cars will get the new ROM.

I do not think they are going to get away with it though.

Last edited by DowntownVentura; 02-02-2010 at 04:29 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
In other words, don't buy a Toyota, since cutting costs by 30% is an accountant move, not an engineering one.

REPORT: Toyota cutting supplier expenses by 30%, probably means using cheaper parts — Autoblog
Like I said in my original post, they have been slipping in the last ten years, riding on their reputation that was built in the 70's, 80's and 90's while the big three were screwing the American consumer for decades. I have no dog in this fight, I do not own a Toyota, but I would still trust a Toyota over a Dodge any day!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Heres an interesting link people. Seems the original accident that started this whole fiasco WAS the floor mat and NOT the pedal..

http://www.safetyresearch.net/Librar...ee_Inspect.pdf

Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM

521 posts, read 870,583 times
Thumbs down Toyota lies

our local news reporter said that toyota is refabing the gas pedal
but is quietly tweeking the computer also, and they really dont want to talk about that, hhmmm i knew it was the computer all the time.They have and will always lie to the public.cutting the bottom edge of the pedal is a damage control coverup for their denial and slow response for a stupid fix about the floor mats causing the problem.I hopes this teaches toyota a lesseon.If you think about it,if it was something as simple as mechanical hinged gas pedal it would be easy to find where it was binding right?I think it was the computer telling the TPS to go rougue.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
How many freaking threads do we need on this subject?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion