Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:29 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,313,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im very sorry,i guess i dont consider CAPS to be yelling.. (I use caps so the words stand out more)
Typing in caps is the internet equivalent of yelling. It only takes one push to turn it off! So many are annoyed by this, that there is even a FB group dedicated to it!

STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS. You are shouting at me. | Facebook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,440,001 times
Great. I think I will just put a big black veil over my face and body, and state it is against my Muslim religion. No one will touch me...great....Just check out all of those radical Christians.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,594,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Great. I think I will just put a big black veil over my face and body, and state it is against my Muslim religion. No one will touch me...great....Just check out all of those radical Christians.
You mean like Timothy McVeigh?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,316,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Domestic Cargo is screened, international cargo is not. DHS has a timeline to have foreign cargo screened 100% by 2014 - until then it is hit and miss. Who is more likely to send a bomb on a plane? Someone from Topeka, KS or someone from Saudi Arabia?

The right that is being violated is the 4th amendment, unreasonable search and seizure. Why do I have to be searched as if I am a criminal before I am allowed to fly?

Also the line you can travel by alternate means just doesn't cut it - the TSA has taken their security theatre to the highways in Georgia, to Amtrak and to buses and subways. Their willingness to violate the constitution and yours and my rights knows no bounds.
I agree with you but then what is the alternative to searches? The only alternative is to make sure everybody on the plane is watching everybody else and if anyone makes a move to light their shoe on fire you hope someone can jump him before he sets it off.

Quote:
You mean like Timothy McVeigh?
Once AGAIN, McVeigh was not a Christian. He was agnostic. He said "Science is my religion".

Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,516,561 times
Quote:
Domestic Cargo is screened, international cargo is not. DHS has a timeline to have foreign cargo screened 100% by 2014 - until then it is hit and miss. Who is more likely to send a bomb on a plane? Someone from Topeka, KS or someone from Saudi Arabia?

The right that is being violated is the 4th amendment, unreasonable search and seizure. Why do I have to be searched as if I am a criminal before I am allowed to fly?

Also the line you can travel by alternate means just doesn't cut it - the TSA has taken their security theatre to the highways in Georgia, to Amtrak and to buses and subways. Their willingness to violate the constitution and yours and my rights knows no bounds.
International cargo is screened on passenger aircraft, something like 80-85% and increasing.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I agree with you but then what is the alternative to searches? The only alternative is to make sure everybody on the plane is watching everybody else and if anyone makes a move to light their shoe on fire you hope someone can jump him before he sets it off.
I am not against screening, I am against the virtual strip search searches and the sexual assault manual pat downs that occur. The virtual strip searches would NOT have caught the underwear bomber. They cannot see below roles of fat nor can they see into body cavities.

If we want truly effective searches for explosives bring back the puffers, you know the machines that actually detect explosive materials.

The nude o scope machines are all theatre and do scant little to actually increase the security of passengers.

Another step would be to screen all persons who enter the secure area (using WTMD and puffers). This includes the TSA screening clerks who do not have to go through it because it is too time-consuming and the many folks who work the ramps etc. who are exempt.

Effective security will only be in place if ALL persons are screened properly, not just some people and definitely not using machines that are more for appearance than security.

Quote:
Once AGAIN, McVeigh was not a Christian. He was agnostic. He said "Science is my religion".
My apologies but that does not diminish the fact that Christian terrorist individuals exist. How about those who murder abortion doctors? What about the KKK - killing in the name of white supremacy and Christianity?

Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
International cargo is screened on passenger aircraft, something like 80-85% and increasing.
Funny John Pistole the head of the TSA says that only 65% of foreign cargo is screened and even with that number, they can't be certain how accurate it is.

Details of an interview with him can be found here

Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,460,585 times
I actually laughed when I read how some of you say..go ahead..pat away! Guess you have not experienced the "new" proceedures. Let me tell you, first hand, that it is EXTREMELY invasive. I had the unfortunate experience in the past week of having to be molested..yes, MOLESTED..by the TSA when going to work.

I have metal screws in my left shoulder (a result, by the way, of lifting a heavy passenger's bag, but that is a story for another day). So every single day I go to work, I have to be screened. It was bad enough to be wanded. Oh, how I wish I could go back to that system.

Now, I have my choice of being radiated (I am pretty sure that in the coming year or so, they will admit that these machines leak radiation) or I can be groped. The groping is very, very thorough. They their hands right on up in there, both front and back. I have had doctor appointments that were less invasive. It is simply unacceptable to me to be subjected to some uniformed stranger putting their hands up into my crotch.

So, you who think its just fine and dandy....just wait til you get to live the dream.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,441,549 times
Having declined the body scanner, as I don't trust the constant radiation or the pervy TSA employees not to save/send images, I have been "patted down." This is a full-on touch your crotch and the crack of your behind kind of pat down. Not for the easily offended. However, let's just say in the frequent traveler world those scanners are being called d**k measuring machines because, really? Have you seen the images it produces??

There is a "national opt-out day" being called for among travelers on November 24 (day before T-giving). My fear of that is it will slow down the TSA lines considerably for holiday travelers. http://www.optoutday.com/

Old 11-10-2010, 02:03 PM

363 posts, read 1,045,482 times
I flew yesterday - the machines are brand new and the dosimeter I carried, barely budged! SO for the naysayers out there - you'll get more radiation at the dentist's office than you will at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel