Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 11:08 PM

67 posts, read 41,308 times

Advertisements

So much depends on why One needs to make that decision and the weighting of many different properties of each sphere. Museums - Chicago seems to have a good selection over SF but in the SF bay area there seem to be more art galleries. Housing - In SF - rents are high & buying is nearly impossible to qualify. I do not know Chi-town's availability on housing but a friend moved back there from CA to work & live sincce his dollar went farther. Music - Chi - town has had the Blues & a good symphony. SF has small venues with some music & a Symphony & Opera. Food - I think it about even now. Sports : Chicago has it all. 2 baseball teams. Da Bears. Hockey - BlackHawks. the Bulls SF has the Giants & the As are in Oakland. the 49ers. the Sharks are in San Jose. The View - its all San Francisco - for walking & just seeing everything. Working - there are fewer jobs now in SF & it is very very competitive. The entire state of CA is in meltdown. If you wish to visit SF is the place. Or if money is no object then SF. If you need to work to live, Chicago seems like a much better bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 03:51 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
I've gotten to travel quite a bit in my life. I will start by saying that there is not one single place I have ever been that I wouldn't go back to. But with limited time and money, there are a few that stand out as much less appealing.

-Hawaii. I just don't get it. Sure it's pretty, but "pretty" doesn't make it a worthwhile destination. I can't for the life of me understand why my fellow Americans are so obsessed with this place. You buy an expensive ticket and travel for hours and hours and when you arrive you haven't even gone anywhere--you're in the same d*mn country you were in when you started!

-Cancun. The city has no heart, it's just a bunch of resorts. The whole experience from the moment you arrive in the airport seems designed to allow Americans to say they have "been to Mexico" while almost pathologically avoiding anything remotely Mexican. Hell, many of the shops wouldn't even take their own country's money! They required US dollars for payment. Considering an all inclusive resort trip to Cancun? Don't! Save yourself a few thousand dollars and get wasted on cheap tequila in your own home. The experience will be just as "Mexican" as what you would find in Cancun.

-Disney. It was a fun place to go as a kid (well, Epcot anyway), but I don't see why people would go multiple times or why adults would be interested. I also find it almost horrifying how much planning some people put into their visits and how that sort of thing has become almost necessary since the last time I was there 15 years ago. I have friends who took their honeymoon to Disney, and they planned out exactly what attractions they were going to visit at what exact times each day and exactly where they would eat at exactly what times MONTHS in advance. If it's not a Michelin starred restaurant there is no way I am interested in making reservations months ahead of time.

I've never been to Vegas, but if I had I bet it would be on my list as well. The people watching would surely be fun, but beyond that it doesn't seem to have much of anything to offer that would interest me.
I enjoyed your post. I did find Hawaii nice but I had a relative that lived there so I saw more of the non touristy stuff and realized why most people that live there are poor. I guess that made it more interesting to me but found it beautiful. I agree about the flight though. WOW. I was shocked how long it took to get there.

Haven't been to Cancun and figured it was exactly what you described which is why it hasn't interested me. Thanks for confirming.

Disney, I have been 3 times. First time as a kid and to be honest I was disappointed. I thought it would be more of an amusement park. Back then it was just Magic Kingdom and it seemed like my mother was more interested in going through all the shops vs anything else. It was a bore to me as a child. The last two times is when my son was little. Each time was insanely expensive and it is the only vacation destination I really focused on a budget so we didn't run out of money before the trip was up.I always warn anyone that goes to expect to spend way more on food that you imagined. I am also surprised by the planning that goes into it now. I have several friends that have young children and they post their wrist bands months before they go. Wrist bands? I was asked by one friend how early I had planned my Disney trips. Honestly, both were booked a month or two before we left. We stayed at Disney resorts each time. We also just randomly ran into characters at the park and got great photos. I guess things have changed. I don't expect to ever go back.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:37 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
-Hawaii. I just don't get it. Sure it's pretty, but "pretty" doesn't make it a worthwhile destination. I can't for the life of me understand why my fellow Americans are so obsessed with this place. You buy an expensive ticket and travel for hours and hours and when you arrive you haven't even gone anywhere--you're in the same d*mn country you were in when you started!
I don't understand why a place being defined by a certain geopolitical label is such a deal breaker for you. Would Hawaii be that much more enjoyable if it was called the country of HawaiiLandia instead of part of the United States?

One of the main things that makes a place enjoyable is that it is different so you can a chance to experience things you wouldn't have otherwise. There is nowhere in the United States that looks like Hawaii, or has the same cultural and culinary quirks. Sure it's expensive, but people also travel to places like Paris and London that are far from cheap.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:15 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't understand why a place being defined by a certain geopolitical label is such a deal breaker for you. Would Hawaii be that much more enjoyable if it was called the country of HawaiiLandia instead of part of the United States?

One of the main things that makes a place enjoyable is that it is different so you can a chance to experience things you wouldn't have otherwise. There is nowhere in the United States that looks like Hawaii, or has the same cultural and culinary quirks. Sure it's expensive, but people also travel to places like Paris and London that are far from cheap.
I'm in no way a rabid anti-Hawaii crusader. I've been there. I had a lovely time. It was very pretty.

I still think it's intensely overrated.

When I travel, I choose to spend my limited time away from work pursuing new experiences, with an emphasis on cultural exchange. Somewhere with the same strip malls and Walmart stores and hotel chains as my home city is going to be pretty far down on my hit list. It's not a bad place. If I could drive there in a few hours I would probably spend a long weekend there every now and then. If I won the lottery and could travel full time I would probably visit for a bit. But with the travel time and expense it takes to get to Hawaii I could list hundreds of destinations with more to offer. It's not about being too expensive. It's about being a poor ratio of cost to value.

I think that is pretty much the definition of overrated: fine, but not worth the hype.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:15 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
I'm in no way a rabid anti-Hawaii crusader. I've been there. I had a lovely time. It was very pretty.

When I travel, I choose to spend my limited time away from work pursuing new experiences, with an emphasis on cultural exchange. Somewhere with the same strip malls and Walmart stores and hotel chains as my home city is going to be pretty far down on my hit list. It's not a bad place. If I could drive there in a few hours I would probably spend a long weekend there every now and then. If I won the lottery and could travel full time I would probably visit for a bit. But with the travel time and expense it takes to get to Hawaii I could list hundreds of destinations with more to offer. It's not about being too expensive. It's about being a poor ratio of cost to value.

I think that is pretty much the definition of overrated: fine, but not worth the hype.
Many people have a much different opinion about Hawaii than you and their opinion is just as valid. There is no right or wrong with this issue. Your definition of cost to value is totally meaningless to anybody but you. I understand that you are not a big fan of Hawaii and that is fine but don't denigrate others that think differently. We all have our own preferences equally valid.

Our 2 favorite places to visit are New York City ( Manhattan ) and Hawaii ( Waikiki ). We travel a lot and there are many places we like and some we don't but those 2 are the ones we go back to.

Regarding Disneyland, I have a very good friend that goes there 3 - 4 times a year and loves it. I don't get it because I have never been a fan of Disneyland nor Disneyworld. I have been to them both. I know others that also love them. Who am I to judge their choice. They like it and that is all that counts.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Many people have a much different opinion about Hawaii than you and their opinion is just as valid. There is no right or wrong with this issue. Your definition of cost to value is totally meaningless to anybody but you. I understand that you are not a big fan of Hawaii and that is fine but don't denigrate others that think differently. We all have our own preferences equally valid.

Our 2 favorite places to visit are New York City ( Manhattan ) and Hawaii ( Waikiki ). We travel a lot and there are many places we like and some we don't but those 2 are the ones we go back to.

Regarding Disneyland, I have a very good friend that goes there 3 - 4 times a year and loves it. I don't get it because I have never been a fan of Disneyland nor Disneyworld. I have been to them both. I know others that also love them. Who am I to judge their choice. They like it and that is all that counts.
No need to get offended. The entire purpose of this thread is to discuss places that we feel are overrated. Obviously not everyone is going to agree; if nobody particularly cared for Hawaii it wouldn't be possible for it to be overrated in the first place. Tons of people go absolutely gaga for it--you are certainly not alone in your opinion.

And again, I don't bear any ill will toward Hawaii. It's quite pretty. But I, personally, don't see why so many people make such a big deal about it. IMO Honolulu is basically Tampa but three times as far away and twice as expensive.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:38 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Liking/disliking/rating is all subjective and as other poster pointed out there is no right or wrong.

What I didn't get was you saying traveling all that way and being in the same place. That makes no sense to me since very few people in the United States have anything remotely similar to Hawaii beaches, landscapes, weather, etc. at home and that is the main reason they go to Hawaii. Someone from Iowa or Texas that is sitting on a beach in Maui is not in the same place, regardless of whether it is the same country.

I"m not trying to defend Hawaii (I find it not worth the cost same as you do) but for your average American who wants a tropical vacation with some cultural differences... I get it. They get to see people dancing hula, singing Polynesian songs, try poi/lau lau/whatever, take little van rides to swim under waterfalls, take surfing lessons, see cliff diving at Waimea, go up Haleakala, etc. whatever cheesy stuff tourists do in Hawaii. All without getting out of their comfort zone.

The only way Tampa reminds me of Honolulu is proximity to body of water, you aren't leaving your hotel and walking 50 meters to the beach in Tampa, and even if you did drive across the Gandy to go to beaches they would look nothing like the blue water and waves of Hawaii.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:40 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
No need to get offended. The entire purpose of this thread is to discuss places that we feel are overrated. Obviously not everyone is going to agree; if nobody particularly cared for Hawaii it wouldn't be possible for it to be overrated in the first place. Tons of people go absolutely gaga for it--you are certainly not alone in your opinion.

And again, I don't bear any ill will toward Hawaii. It's quite pretty. But I, personally, don't see why so many people make such a big deal about it. IMO Honolulu is basically Tampa but three times as far away and twice as expensive.
I am not at all offended. Trust me, there is nothing you can do that will offend me

I find your comparison of Tampa and Honolulu pretty amusing. I lived in Florida for 8 years and have been in Tampa many times. Cost is not an issue to me. Honolulu is closer for us West Coasters .

Old 11-22-2016, 01:36 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
From my experience:
Most of Florida
Las Vegas, NV
Cuzco, Peru
Opinions vary.
I loved Peru in general and especially Cuzco.
I like San Francisco and places close by.

I like a few quiet spots in Florida but not the cities... especially avoid Orlando.

Branson is the overrated place poster child... but there might be worse places..
Disney was/is a one time deal - why would anyone go twice? Hence the cost?
San Antonio was a huge yawn... the Alamo and Riverwalk is pretty much it.
I enjoyed New Orleans and Santa Fe much more twenty years (or more) ago than
more recently.

On reflection, I have a hard time trying to find something to like about Florence, Italy. Tourist prices and tourist food was awful. Once you get to see David and the Duomo, head for the train station. There are only so many Madonna e Bambino paintings you can process.

Last edited by SunGrins; 11-22-2016 at 01:55 AM..

Old 11-22-2016, 02:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Disney. I guess someone likes it but it's an epic waste of money and time in my opinion. ....
I had family that worked at Disney, so the invitations to visit were frequent. If you have kids...OK, but otherwise it would have never been on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel