Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,012,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I wonder where he's from, or going to, that he's getting all this interest for being tall. Where I live (in NJ), no is gawking at you or asking weird questions unless you're literally 7 feet tall. It's not uncommon to see men who are 6'3-6'5 which is pretty tall.
I'm quite tired of people gawking and asking questions. I'm also tired of the locals wanting to get pictures with me when I go on vacation. This happens EVERYWHERE I go. The only reason I am in this insipid conversation is that I have first-hand experience dealing with a seat-whammer.

People who have read the last 10 pages or so (rather than just reading the original post and then commenting on it, so as to keep putting out the same tired arguments over and over) have learned:

1) That I am tall enough that the airlines simply waive all the premium fees. I have never been asked to pay a fee. And I almost always sit in one of the "good" coach seats -- the kind where there's nobody in front of me. I insure this because I book almost all of my travel months in advance. "Avoidance of pain" is a powerful motivator. When I sit in a premium seat, there's nothing really premium about it. In order to get a little idea what it's like for me, take the worst pitched seat you've ever been in, and remove another four inches. Then sit there for five hours and get back to me.

2) In the very, very rare occasion that I am stuck, folded up like origami, behind a special snowflake seat-whammer, the flight attendant has given the whammer a choice: "knock it off" and "handcuffs."

3) And even in the case of #2, the attendants usually just invite me to hang out with them in the galley for long stretches. The "loitering by the restrooms/exit doors/galley" rules, are generally bent for me.

So, the point I'm making is that seat-whamming is always annoying. But in some occasions, it's also "assault and battery."

And it's not like this information has not already been presented in a crystal clear method, AND with appropriate pictures. There is absolutely nothing I can further add to this discussion, so I'll avoid the screen door as I let myself out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,852,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Airlines do not rent space, they sell seats between two points. Check their tariff, no where does it say they are renting space. You are stating your subjective opinion here which is not based on fact. If so, what are you basing it on other than your opinion? Anything?
They are not selling the seat space, you cannot take it with you, you are using it for a specific period of time, that is in fact rent. I have no idea why you are even hung up on the terminology, hardly addresses the issue of the airlines selling, renting, what ever you want to call it, the same space twice, and not addressing the issues that arise out of this.

It is not opinion, it is fact that people purchase a ticket, for a specific flight at a specific time to a specific place, that can be for a specific seat, the website states the specific seat pitch, and the airline in turn sells part of the same space to someone else.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I've been reading a lot of posts from "tall" people complaining about leg room and people bothering them when they recline. I've very tall for a woman. I am not overweight. I don't have these sort of problems. My knees aren't smoosh and neither is my stomach. I think it's a weight issue.
How often do you fly? What is "tall for a woman" suppose to be, how tall are you?

It is obvious you have hardly read any posts in this thread, if you would have, you would know that different airlines and aircraft have different seat pitches, and even at that, the type of seat also varies where two of the same seat pitch can in fact have different amount of physical legroom.

A person's knees against the seat in front of them has nothing to do with their weight (other than tall people weigh more), I have no idea where you get that from.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Unless you're seven feet tall, I wouldn't be impressed. I know what's like to be tall and my husband is extremely tall. Over six feet, but I don't like to give specifics online. As I said, as a tall person I don't experience these things. It's probably more of a weight issues, especially if someone is hitting your lap and stomach.
You obviously are not understanding; the complaints are about a person's KNEES already being nudged up against the seat in front of them, thus making it impossible on many aircraft for the person in front to recline. Has absolutely nothing to do with someone being fat.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Exactly. All these twits need to do is recline their seat also - then the distance you have is exactly the same as when the two seats weren't reclined.

Unless everyone on the flight is an ascetic monk requiring uncomfortable bolt upright seating position, and a horse hair seat cover perhaps, non-reclining on any reasonable long flight will never take off.
No, a person reclining their seat is not going to change the legroom space; the issue being brought up are tall people's, who are not even all that tall, knees being nudged against the seat in front of them, which makes it impossible on some aircraft for the person to recline their seat. Reclining does not change this space.

This was not even an issue ten years ago, the airlines have created these conditions by taking away space, but not changing the seats. The seats were designed for a certain space in mind. New seats have been designed, and are being installed to alleviate this issue, but it will take time. The new seats have the reclining function at a different height level, avoiding the knee issue all together, and are made of thinner cushioning making the physical space bigger.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Unless you're seven feet tall, I wouldn't be impressed. I know what's like to be tall and my husband is extremely tall. Over six feet, but I don't like to give specifics online. As I said, as a tall person I don't experience these things. It's probably more of a weight issues, especially if someone is hitting your lap and stomach.
I admire your failed attempt to apply your body and experience to everyone else out there, but the reality is that people have different length torsos and legs. Applying your body to everyone else is absurd, ridiculous and ignorant at best.

I have long legs, and am fit (I'm a competitive runner). A reclined coach seat will most certainly hit my knees. I don't even have the longest legs among runners.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:32 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,749,358 times
There's another serious issue caused by the decrease in pitch/airlines squeezing in more rows of seat.

Less overhead bin space per passenger.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
There's another serious issue caused by the decrease in pitch/airlines squeezing in more rows of seat.

Less overhead bin space per passenger.
Most airlines allow you to check baggage.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 AM

22,382 posts, read 29,502,255 times
No. they paid for their seat and I paid for mine. We have the right to do whatever we want. I'm flying tomorrow and if someone pulls that shyt on me, I'm scrapping.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 AM

254 posts, read 434,326 times
Lol.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lg9hmv7eb...74926.jpg?dl=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel