Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 10:01 PM

477 posts, read 803,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The tray won't be in your stomach unless you're obese. The distance between the tray and floor/lap stays the same. The tray moves independently of the seat.

You need to look at a protractor. Outside of business and first, there is no airline with a 30 degree reline. Even premium economy seats only go to 20 degrees.
I've been reading a lot of posts from "tall" people complaining about leg room and people bothering them when they recline. I've very tall for a woman. I am not overweight. I don't have these sort of problems. My knees aren't smoosh and neither is my stomach. I think it's a weight issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,249,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I've been reading a lot of posts from "tall" people complaining about leg room and people bothering them when they recline. I've very tall for a woman. I am not overweight. I don't have these sort of problems. My knees aren't smoosh and neither is my stomach. I think it's a weight issue.
I admire your failed attempt to apply your body and experience to everyone else out there, but the reality is that people have different length torsos and legs. Applying your body to everyone else is absurd, ridiculous and ignorant at best.

I have long legs, and am fit (I'm a competitive runner). A reclined coach seat will most certainly hit my knees. I don't even have the longest legs among runners.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:02 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,059,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Can you dunk a basketball? I can do so without even trying hard. Jump up a little bit and put the ball in the hoop. What's the big deal?

Frankly, if someone like you asked me if I play basketball professionally, I would reply, "No. Do you jockey horses?"

(I quit doing that for all but the special snowflakes. Even though I really get sick of the questions about my basketball prowess. I eventually came to realize this was just society's way of asking what it's like to be tall without actually coming out and asking, "What's it like to be tall?" They're taken aback when I tell them that it's horrible, awful, annoying, very painful, and bad for my longevity. (We don't live as long as shorter people.))

Old 09-05-2014, 01:13 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,059,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Airlines do not rent space, they sell seats between two points. Check their tariff, no where does it say they are renting space. You are stating your subjective opinion here which is not based on fact. If so, what are you basing it on other than your opinion? Anything?
I'm basing it on physical reality. When I am in my "space" that I have rented, absolutely NOTHING is going to impinge on that space because it is physically impossible. And for the second time in this thread, "Suck it up, Buttercup."

Because it is unreasonable for you to demand that I buy a first class ticket for $10K, or even two coach seats. I fit JUST FINE in my space, even though it eventually becomes quite painful for me. But you ain't reclining.

I do everything in my power to make sure that my flight does not interfere with your ability to recline. But on those handful of times where it might, the airline, the attendants and most of society see it my way. I'm just trying to get from point A to point B. Whamming your seat back in a futile and puerile manner is not going to have any positive outcome. The last time I hit the attendant button, the person in front of me was given the choice between "knock it off" and "handcuffs."

Old 09-05-2014, 01:31 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
That is to say, have you ever forcibly stopped and individual in front of you from fully reclining their seat by exerting force against the back to make them think the seat has hit its maximum recline position?

I have.

I plan on doing it again.
Perhaps why I do not fly unless first class.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Can you dunk a basketball? I can do so without even trying hard. Jump up a little bit and put the ball in the hoop. What's the big deal?

Frankly, if someone like you asked me if I play basketball professionally, I would reply, "No. Do you jockey horses?"

(I quit doing that for all but the special snowflakes. Even though I really get sick of the questions about my basketball prowess. I eventually came to realize this was just society's way of asking what it's like to be tall without actually coming out and asking, "What's it like to be tall?" They're taken aback when I tell them that it's horrible, awful, annoying, very painful, and bad for my longevity. (We don't live as long as shorter people.))
Unless you're seven feet tall, I wouldn't be impressed. I know what's like to be tall and my husband is extremely tall. Over six feet, but I don't like to give specifics online. As I said, as a tall person I don't experience these things. It's probably more of a weight issues, especially if someone is hitting your lap and stomach.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:14 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,361,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I admire your failed attempt to apply your body and experience to everyone else out there, but the reality is that people have different length torsos and legs. Applying your body to everyone else is absurd, ridiculous and ignorant at best.

I have long legs, and am fit (I'm a competitive runner). A reclined coach seat will most certainly hit my knees. I don't even have the longest legs among runners.
EXACTLY! My daughter is quite tall, but she's all torso so has no issues.
While my husband has very long legs (they are actually close to the same height), and he has many issues.

There is no "one size fits all" solution here with reclining seats.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:17 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'm basing it on physical reality. When I am in my "space" that I have rented, absolutely NOTHING is going to impinge on that space because it is physically impossible. And for the second time in this thread, "Suck it up, Buttercup."

Because it is unreasonable for you to demand that I buy a first class ticket for $10K, or even two coach seats. I fit JUST FINE in my space, even though it eventually becomes quite painful for me. But you ain't reclining.

I do everything in my power to make sure that my flight does not interfere with your ability to recline. But on those handful of times where it might, the airline, the attendants and most of society see it my way. I'm just trying to get from point A to point B. Whamming your seat back in a futile and puerile manner is not going to have any positive outcome. The last time I hit the attendant button, the person in front of me was given the choice between "knock it off" and "handcuffs."
Because I'm tall, I aways turn around and check with the person behind me before reclining my seat as a courtesy so you can get off your high horse there, Buttercup.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Because I'm tall, I aways turn around and check with the person behind me before reclining my seat as a courtesy so you can get off your high horse there, Buttercup.
I wonder where he's from, or going to, that he's getting all this interest for being tall. Where I live (in NJ), no is gawking at you or asking weird questions unless you're literally 7 feet tall. It's not uncommon to see men who are 6'3-6'5 which is pretty tall.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,610,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The tray won't be in your stomach unless you're obese. The distance between the tray and floor/lap stays the same. The tray moves independently of the seat.

You need to look at a protractor. Outside of business and first, there is no airline with a 30 degree reline. Even premium economy seats only go to 20 degrees.
Exactly. All these twits need to do is recline their seat also - then the distance you have is exactly the same as when the two seats weren't reclined.

Unless everyone on the flight is an ascetic monk requiring uncomfortable bolt upright seating position, and a horse hair seat cover perhaps, non-reclining on any reasonable long flight will never take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel