Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 04:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
You might be pleasantly surprised by Colombia.
Agree.

Two of my friends just visited Colombia and all they had was good things about the country.

It is amazing how often people make uninformed decision based on highly biased information on the internet, or worse, pure personal prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:15 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times
I would love to visit Colombia personally, so much culture and history in that country. Yes there is a problem with crime, but its nothing new if you live in the United States. Bogota has a murder rate lower than Washington DC, Medellin is lower than Chicago, Cali is about the same as St. Louis (and going down every year). There is a lot to miss out on

Old 01-06-2017, 08:43 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,404 times
Syria, Libya and Lebanon for now. I understand that all of these countries actually have plenty of tourist attractions. It is too bad that they are in such terrible conditions with people killing each other instead of enjoying life in beautiful setting...

Old 01-06-2017, 08:40 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,583,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
provided you don't insult their "king"
They don't mess around in Thailand either.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 AM

605 posts, read 670,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Colombia, Pakistan, and North Korea.
Colombia is actually pretty nice, plus the country is much safer to visit nowadays than compared with the 80's-90's.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Yemen. I'm never going to go to Yemen.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 8,897 times
canada

Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,669,340 times
When I go to visit a foreign country I leave my personal politics at the door. As long as the country is reasonably safe for a tourist and I can get decent vegetarian food and bottled water I am ready to go. I love architecture and nature and will go to any place that has either or both.

I don't care about Putin but Russia was simply amazing. Those palaces and cathedrals are breath taking. Nothing like that exists in US. Turkey was a fabulous country. Australian citis are nothing to write home about but the outback is stunning.

Because of having a young daughter and wife, family safety is important. I might have taken a chance when I was single and gone to Egypt but not willing to do it now. The main places off my list are Pakistan, Syria, Iraq, Somalia, Yemen, Congo and Saudi Arabia. If / when the situation improves I would like to visit Yemen and Iraq.

I have no problems visiting Jordan, Iran, Vietnam, Cambodia. The latter two are high on my do to list.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,669,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I would love to visit Colombia personally, so much culture and history in that country. Yes there is a problem with crime, but its nothing new if you live in the United States. Bogota has a murder rate lower than Washington DC, Medellin is lower than Chicago, Cali is about the same as St. Louis (and going down every year). There is a lot to miss out on
This is probably true but the peoblwm is that I know the unsafe areas of Chicago, NYC and St. Louis being a resident of USA and can avoid it and yet a have a good time in those cities. When I arrive in Bogota, Cali and Medellin I have no such info and taking the advice of my hotel staff does not really help me since I am unfamiliar with different parts of the city. Walking the city with a big dslr might make me an easy target.

Having said that Medellin and Cali are places I will see sometime in the future, probably sooner than later.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
When I go to visit a foreign country I leave my personal politics at the door. As long as the country is reasonably safe for a tourist and I can get decent vegetarian food and bottled water I am ready to go. I love architecture and nature and will go to any place that has either or both.

I don't care about Putin but Russia was simply amazing. Those palaces and cathedrals are breath taking. Nothing like that exists in US. Turkey was a fabulous country. Australian citis are nothing to write home about but the outback is stunning.

Because of having a young daughter and wife, family safety is important. I might have taken a chance when I was single and gone to Egypt but not willing to do it now. The main places off my list are Pakistan, Syria, Iraq, Somalia, Yemen, Congo and Saudi Arabia. If / when the situation improves I would like to visit Yemen and Iraq.

I have no problems visiting Jordan, Iran, Vietnam, Cambodia. The latter two are high on my do to list.
great post.

I don't think you can visit Saudi Arabia even if you want you, unless you are a Muslim. The country doesn't issue tourist visa. They don't want tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel