Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 03:39 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times

Advertisements

I visited Venezuela in the mid 90's and loved it. I imagined returning several times to see more of the country. Alas, that never happened and now it is on my "not going" list.

As a counterpoint, I just returned from Croatia, a place that would have been foolish to visit in the mid 90's. So times and circumstances change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 09:01 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,795 times
Anywhere outside the continental USA.

Keeping my travel dollars at home.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Anywhere outside the continental USA.

Keeping my travel dollars at home.
Same here.

Some of the same uppity people who proclaim " boycott Walmart, buy only American" are constantly bragging about all the money they spent on foreign travel.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:33 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Same here.

Some of the same uppity people who proclaim " boycott Walmart, buy only American" are constantly bragging about all the money they spent on foreign travel.
I fail to see how buying American made goods is at odds at trying to broaden your mind culturally and have better outlook on life, gained by traveling abroad.

If you want to be frog in a well and not travel outside USA, fine. But let us spend our money at travel abroad while at the same time try and purchase American made goods ( if available). They are not mutually exclusionary.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Same here.

buy only America is simply an impossibility. Any American home is filled with Made in China cr*p, and I mean literally every single home.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I fail to see how buying American made goods is at odds at trying to broaden your mind culturally and have better outlook on life, gained by traveling abroad.

If you want to be frog in a well and not travel outside USA, fine. But let us spend our money at travel abroad while at the same time try and purchase American made goods ( if available). They are not mutually exclusionary.
and pretend "our 50 states are just like different countries". No, they are not.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Same here.

Uppity? Is Canada OK?

Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,306 times
No. I think that's pretty silly.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:26 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
buy only America is simply an impossibility. Any American home is filled with Made in China cr*p, and I mean literally every single home.
Indeed! People in Europe don't have TVs, cell phones, and computers made in Asia. None of their shoes come from China, they all wear wooden clogs made in Holland.

Sarcasm aside, China is by far the biggest source of imports to the European Union, clothes/furniture/toys/electronics you name it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
and pretend "our 50 states are just like different countries". No, they are not.
"Like" is subjective, but I submit the difference between Hawaii, South Dakota, and Louisiana are greater than between some neighboring countries in SE Asia or Europe.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:40 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Indeed! People in Europe don't have TVs, cell phones, and computers made in Asia. None of their shoes come from China, they all wear wooden clogs made in Holland.

Sarcasm aside, China is by far the biggest source of imports to the European Union, clothes/furniture/toys/electronics you name it.

"Like" is subjective, but I submit the difference between Hawaii, South Dakota, and Louisiana are greater than between some neighboring countries in SE Asia or Europe.
Scenery may be different but people, architecture and most food are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel