Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 01:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Indeed! People in Europe don't have TVs, cell phones, and computers made in Asia. None of their shoes come from China, they all wear wooden clogs made in Holland.

Sarcasm aside, China is by far the biggest source of imports to the European Union, clothes/furniture/toys/electronics you name it.
when did I even imply Europe is different? Not sure where your sarcasm comes from.

last month I went all the way to Chamonix/Mont Blanc, bought a hat because it was cold and it was made in China. The keyboard I am typing on is made in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Scenery may be different but people, architecture and most food are the same.
people, architecture, language, what they watch on TV, what they listen to, lifestyle, and yes food, to a large extent.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:16 PM

117 posts, read 175,854 times
fargo, nd

Old 01-23-2017, 04:15 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
Default yes but soon to be made in USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
when did I even imply Europe is different? Not sure where your sarcasm comes from.

last month I went all the way to Chamonix/Mont Blanc, bought a hat because it was cold and it was made in China. The keyboard I am typing on is made in China.

I know, I know, it would be an offence tp the sacrosanct NWO

Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 PM

146 posts, read 394,005 times
Europe, India, North Africa, Missouri, plus anywhere with war or wanting war including Capitol Hill.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:20 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I have a list, some because they just don't interest me, others the state of their politics, or safety factors, lastly flight is too dam long.

China
Most countries in the Middle East
Most countries in Africa
Any of the off shoots of the USSR that have Stan in their name, Russia itself would love to visit.

There is more, just have to think about it.

Why is Caribbean on your list?
You shouldn't discount all the 'stans' like that. I went to Uzbekistan recently and it was amazing. They reacted extremely positively when I told them I was American too.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
You shouldn't discount all the 'stans' like that. I went to Uzbekistan recently and it was amazing. They reacted extremely positively when I told them I was American too.
It is very easy to dismiss other countries completely like that when you know absolutely nothing about them, can't even spell their names, isn't it?

Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is very easy to dismiss other countries completely like that when you know absolutely nothing about them, can't even spell their names, isn't it?
As I might have said earlier, except for countries where active war or guerilla warfare is going on, there is no country that I do not want to visit. Recently saw a program on BBC about the Silk road that goes through a couple of Stans. The scenery is stunning. Iran is a place I would absolutely love to visit.

The perception of which countries to not visit because of safety and poverty reasons also depends on one's ethnicity. A white farmer who has lived all his life in Kansas is less likely to go into India due to poverty or Egypt due to safety. But an Indian or Chinese has less issues in traveling to countries where poverty exists for all to see or where safety could be a problem because of standing out easily from a local crowd.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
As I might have said earlier, except for countries where active war or guerilla warfare is going on, there is no country that I do not want to visit. Recently saw a program on BBC about the Silk road that goes through a couple of Stans. The scenery is stunning. Iran is a place I would absolutely love to visit.

The perception of which countries to not visit because of safety and poverty reasons also depends on one's ethnicity. A white farmer who has lived all his life in Kansas is less likely to go into India due to poverty or Egypt due to safety. But an Indian or Chinese has less issues in traveling to countries where poverty exists for all to see or where safety could be a problem because of standing out easily from a local crowd.
Iran is probably 100 times more interesting than those Caribbean islands. It has one of the richest cultures in the world and the people are one of the kindest. plus, it is actually quite safe for tourists as long as you obey local laws and not pretend western law is superior and should prevail in a foreign country.

I am not sure if an India or a Chinese would be more comfortable traveling to poorer countries. I am Chinese and I hate to travel to see chaotic and underdeveloped countries because I had seen enought of it - the mess on the streets, bicycles, noisy street venders, dirty markets etc etc, and a lot of western travellers do love to see them because it is new experience for them. I remember Bangkok has one of famous market place by a river where tons of western tourists go to see very early in the morning. I am like, why the hell should I get up before sunrise to see people selling fish and fruits, I used to see that every day. There was a time I wanted to visit Vietnam, until I checked some videos and gave up. The street messy kind of vibrancy that is associated with developing countries that interest many western tourists is basically exactly what China had 20 years ago and wanted to grow out of, and I have zero interest to experience all that again.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Curious = if you don't want to go to China that is all well and good plenty of other places to vacation but what exactly are you guys so frightened of?

China gets almost 100 million tourists per year, I'm pretty sure it is the number one tourist destination in the world. All these people from all over the world families with kids etc. go to China on holiday and there are a couple of people saying it is rational to be fearful to go because not a democracy, this doesn't make much sense to me. My parents went a few years ago and they are in their 70s, they had a great time on the Great Wall, seeing the Terra Cotta Warriors, etc.

Are you thinking that out of all those millions you'll be picked up and interrogated or something?
Quite honestly for me, its that I don't want to go back to China. I visited for the 2008 summer games. I had a good enough time, but prefer destinations with a greater number of English speakers. Having written that: if I went to China with friends/family, perhaps I'd be up to going again. I definitely wouldn't go alone again, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel