Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2016, 02:30 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times

Advertisements

The only places low on my list to go are anywhere that, at the time, the mere fact of being an American puts my life in danger. Obviously, right now, that is Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria but if the safety aspect changed in those locations, I'd go in a heartbeat. I've been to Central America, Mexico/Caribbean (even the poorer countries), Southeast Asia, China, the Middle East, Egypt, all over North America, and all over Western and Eastern Europe. LOVED all of them for a variety of reasons. Generally speaking, we felt the safest in the Muslim countries even when compared to Europe and North American countries. The people were very friendly in all of the countries, with the Germans being the most unfriendly and stand-offish until one trip when we had a German friend with us. That changed their attitudes toward us.

I'm VERY open minded when it comes to travel and other cultures, and I embrace the differences in each place I go. I also see the tourist attractions (Great Wall, Burj Khalifa, pyramids, etc), of course, but we always venture out on our own (preferably with a rental car but if not, then public transportation) to see how the real people live. We have yet to be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 03:32 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
^ +1

Old 12-23-2016, 04:21 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Big cities anywhere.
Places that are badly polluted.
Anywhere that poses personal danger, whether from political/social upheaval or from predatory people.
Anywhere that not being able to fluently speak the local language is a problem. (If the residents are OK with tourists mangling pronunciation or grammar from translation guides, I'm OK with that. Ya gotta start somehow.)

Old 12-23-2016, 04:22 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I'm never going on a cruise ship. Does that count as a place?
Same for me!

Old 12-24-2016, 12:07 AM

783 posts, read 576,905 times
Chicago.

I have a hard enough time trying to not get show where I live.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:14 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
North Korea. Syria. Afghanistan. Saudi Arabia. Libya. Iraq. There might be a time when I feel like I can go to Egypt, Turkey, Lebanon but I don't expect those other places to be very welcoming in my lifetime. Some places I just don't know enough about to make a choice.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
The only places low on my list to go are anywhere that, at the time, the mere fact of being an American puts my life in danger. Obviously, right now, that is Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria but if the safety aspect changed in those locations, I'd go in a heartbeat. I've been to Central America, Mexico/Caribbean (even the poorer countries), Southeast Asia, China, the Middle East, Egypt, all over North America, and all over Western and Eastern Europe. LOVED all of them for a variety of reasons. Generally speaking, we felt the safest in the Muslim countries even when compared to Europe and North American countries. The people were very friendly in all of the countries, with the Germans being the most unfriendly and stand-offish until one trip when we had a German friend with us. That changed their attitudes toward us.

I'm VERY open minded when it comes to travel and other cultures, and I embrace the differences in each place I go. I also see the tourist attractions (Great Wall, Burj Khalifa, pyramids, etc), of course, but we always venture out on our own (preferably with a rental car but if not, then public transportation) to see how the real people live. We have yet to be disappointed.
Just came back from Jordan and I can testify how Jordanians are friendly, kind and always helpful. It is the kind of friendliness I have never experienced in any of the 20 western countries I have been to. I mean people guenuinely welcome you with open arms and big smiles, including children.

Jordan is amazing and I highly recommend to anyone.

For those who worry about safety out of ignorance, just be assured that Jordan is probaly safer than the US in general. The capital Amman for examples is as safe as Toronto, Canada and way safer than NYC, San Fran not to mention Chicago etc.

Best part, most people spead good English. They don't even have much a foreign accent. I don't know why.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:43 AM

244 posts, read 235,761 times
Junction City, Kansas tops my list.

When I was going into Junior High School my parents moved me from Southern California to Overland Park, Kansas. I have no desire to visit any place as politically backward as Kansas. I was born in Topeka, KS. My home town recently legalized domestic violence because of a dispute with Shawnee County. That is just the tip of the iceberg i.e. Hillsboro Babtist Church.

My adult daughter lives in the KC area, so I guess I will be forced to visit at some point (upcoming wedding). I prefer to pay for my daughter and her fiancé's plane tickets to visit me in Oregon, or anywhere other than the Midwest (Kauai comes to mind).

Old 12-24-2016, 10:42 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I'm never going on a cruise ship. Does that count as a place?
Why not? Maybe I'll find out because I am going on a NYE cruise. I'm doing it because I'm alone and there's a singles group on the cruise. Also, I hate traveling alone, so this feels like a compromise. Lastly, it gives me an opportunity to try to get more comfortable socializing with a bunch of strangers in a somewhat confined (although the ship is enormous) environment. We'll see how I feel about it when I get back.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:13 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
^ why not? Because they're not for everybody, just some. Nothing wrong with liking cruises, just like nothing wrong with liking all inclusive resort vacations. They're just not for me. When I vacation, I explore. I don't party. I don't do nightlife. (I get up early) I don't do fine dining. Small local restaurants are more interesting to me. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel