Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 09:38 AM

678 posts, read 698,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I've never used airbnb (the one time I had signed up for the service, the owner canceled on me at the last minute, which left a bad impression), but this is mainly because I almost always find better rates at a hotel/serviced apartment.

Dude airbnb is always cheaper a GOOD hotel is no less than $100 I've stayed at places cheaper than $100 with twice the quality. and free wifi?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I like them too, or just independent B&B websites. Hotels are very impersonal and I can't stand the ugly decor. Plus I don't want to even think about how many people have slept on those sheets I'm sleeping on, and I'm not usually a germophobe. At a B&B, you also usually get a lot more space and privacy for the same amount of $$$, but I don't stay at the B&Bs as much as individual apartments or cottages where the owner is not on-site. I'm not fond of having to pay a "cleaning fee" though. Why should I pay for them to clean their own house? That's part of being a rental home owner, IMO. It's a turn-off, but the B&B advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Well because most of them use 3rd party cleaners/services they usually don't clean it themselves and the cleaning fees have never been like a HUGE price maybe $60-$70

Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I like them too, or just independent B&B websites. Hotels are very impersonal and I can't stand the ugly decor. Plus I don't want to even think about how many people have slept on those sheets I'm sleeping on, and I'm not usually a germophobe. At a B&B, you also usually get a lot more space and privacy for the same amount of $$$, but I don't stay at the B&Bs as much as individual apartments or cottages where the owner is not on-site. I'm not fond of having to pay a "cleaning fee" though. Why should I pay for them to clean their own house? That's part of being a rental home owner, IMO. It's a turn-off, but the B&B advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
Hahah - and you're sleeping on "virgin" sheets through airbnb?

Old 12-13-2015, 11:54 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Dude airbnb is always cheaper a GOOD hotel is no less than $100 I've stayed at places cheaper than $100 with twice the quality. and free wifi?!?!
Nope. We have had different experiences, I see. I've just about always found better rates at nice hotels or serviced apartments vs. airbnb. This comes into play whether I'm using Priceline's Express Deals or just searching on Hotels.com. Note, all I need is a nice place to put my head down for the night. I'm going to Washington, D.C. around New Years. Hotels.com has rates at the Washington Westin and the Westin Crystal City for $80 a night (I've seen as low as $65 per night for those hotels on that site). Sure, airbnb has some great rates around the same time, but I can still find cheaper via other means. This isn't to knock others' use of airbnb. Indeed, if you like it, great. For me, however, I haven't found it worthwhile most of the time when compared to other deals I've found. Note, some of the things that turn people off from traditional hotels also turn me off from airbnb.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:12 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
hahah - and you're sleeping on "virgin" sheets through airbnb?
Exactly! At least I can see staff putting regularly cleaned sheets on the bed at hotels. Not to mention you can always ask for more.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I am quite content with $10 / night Worldwide (has been great for 25+ yrs of extensive travel (pre-AirB&B)).
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Old 12-13-2015, 05:02 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Is a site like Airbnb good to use if one wants to stay in a city for a month or two, or is it better for shorter lengths?

Old 12-13-2015, 05:51 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
What on earth are you talking about? In most of SE Asia you start getting what I consider good hotels at right around $40/night, Taiwan and Singapore being notable exceptions.

Example = we've been staying mostly budget places but recently treated ourselves in Bali, staying at All Seasons in Legian. It is a five minute walk to the beach, had a great pool, spa, all rooms had furnished balconies, fridge, and a daybed by the window that can be used as as sitting area or for 3rd person to sleep.

Here are their current prices from Agoda:

Mod cut: copyrighted material deleted.

We've been traveling for a long time, and have always considered all types of lodging. Sometimes you can get an airbnb deal that is better, sometimes you can't. We'll be in Bangkok soon and booked a nice 1BR apartment on booking.com for a week, it was actually cheaper than most of the airbnb offerings in same area unless you start going by airbnb monthly rates.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-06-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 12-13-2015, 05:52 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Is a site like Airbnb good to use if one wants to stay in a city for a month or two, or is it better for shorter lengths?
Airbnb does often have lower rates by the week and month, which isn't as common with hotel type booking sites.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Nope. We have had different experiences, I see. I've just about always found better rates at nice hotels or serviced apartments vs. airbnb. This comes into play whether I'm using Priceline's Express Deals or just searching on Hotels.com. Note, all I need is a nice place to put my head down for the night. I'm going to Washington, D.C. around New Years. Hotels.com has rates at the Washington Westin and the Westin Crystal City for $80 a night (I've seen as low as $65 per night for those hotels on that site). Sure, airbnb has some great rates around the same time, but I can still find cheaper via other means. This isn't to knock others' use of airbnb. Indeed, if you like it, great. For me, however, I haven't found it worthwhile most of the time when compared to other deals I've found. Note, some of the things that turn people off from traditional hotels also turn me off from airbnb.

I understand! I work at a hotel so maybe that's why its not my first travel destination. And usually I guess airbnb would be if your going away for a while like more than 3 weeks somewhere abroad. But if your just going for a weekend quickie then definitely use hotels. AGAIN airbnb offers half the price for twice the space and I like my space!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel