Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is not the hostel experience, per se, that makes it a creative or adventurous option, it is the increased chance of discovering something unexpected to see or do because you are forced to interact with people. People who usually have fewer inhibitions about their travel experiences and thus have gotten off the beaten track and can share their discoveries with their hostel-mates.
Can't say that forced interaction is something I look for in a vacation.

Although I do talk to other people while traveling (you don't have to share a room with a stranger to talk to them) and have found plenty of interesting things to see and do. While waiting for the shuttle at Glacier (I know, I know... Why didn't we just go back the way we came, and hike another 10 miles through the mountains to get back to our car?!) we talked to a group of ladies in front of us about the things we had done over the past few days. They gave us some ideas on things we should do, and they got some ideas from us. I don't think I have ever asked a hotel concierge what I should do on vacation. Now a days, we have this thing called the internet that allows people to share their travel experiences and discoveries. So much better then having to stay in a hostel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 04:08 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it's also important to remember that everyone has a different "bar" in terms of what is boring vs. what is exciting.

Some people might say that if you don't participate in extreme sports, you lead a boring life. Why on earth would anyone stay on the ground when you can strap a parachute to your back and jump out of a plane? Well, skydiving may be enjoyable for some people, but I have no desire to spend two minutes even considering jumping out of a plane.

Not everyone is looking for bigger, better, more exciting in order to have a fulfilled life. Everyone lives by their own standard. You may not be impressed by someone else's standard, but then again, you don't have to be.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:29 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Can't say that forced interaction is something I look for in a vacation.

Although I do talk to other people while traveling (you don't have to share a room with a stranger to talk to them) and have found plenty of interesting things to see and do. While waiting for the shuttle at Glacier (I know, I know... Why didn't we just go back the way we came, and hike another 10 miles through the mountains to get back to our car?!) we talked to a group of ladies in front of us about the things we had done over the past few days. They gave us some ideas on things we should do, and they got some ideas from us. I don't think I have ever asked a hotel concierge what I should do on vacation. Now a days, we have this thing called the internet that allows people to share their travel experiences and discoveries. So much better then having to stay in a hostel.
Forced interaction? Ha. I'd be really lost if I didn't stay in a hostel.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:25 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post

A vacation that is outside the box would be building an itinerary based on quirky things on Roadside America (I'm determined to see the Gas Station Jesus outside of Dubuque).
http://www.roadsideamerica.com

Probably the most famous example is Wall Drug.

South Dakota Road Trip Stop

I recall that there was a book or two that listed quirky attractions.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 08-21-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
all inclusive and cruises tend to be cheaper without much need for planning.

Most people only have time to get away for 1 week or can't afford to be away for 2-3 weeks and need the best bang for their buck.

I wouldn't mind taking another cruise, the last one was 3 years ago.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:38 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Higher chance of being a victim of terrorism once you leave the CONUS.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:06 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Since it's been a while since I was in grade school, I thought I'd take a look at the actual definition of "travel".

Simple Definition of travel
: to go on a trip or journey : to go to a place and especially one that is far away
: to go through or over (a place) during a trip or journey
: to move from one place to another

Travel | Definition of Travel by Merriam-Webster

I suppose there could be some difference of opinion as to what constitutes "far away", but I'd say that otherwise, the definition of travel is pretty cut and dry, and does not necessarily include any of the things that you mentioned.
I'll keep that in mind in case I want to travel in the dictionary.

None of those definitions reference anything like that which is looked for on a vacation OR by a person who considers themselves a traveler; they are definitions of the verb 'travel'. If you count walking from your bathroom to your living room as 'Travel', more power to you.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:03 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
I think the moral of the story is "boring" in the eye of the beholder.

Some people think a great way to vacation is to visit a city, foreign or domestic, and spend countless hours in museums or touring historic places or the must see landmarks. A trip to Paris visiting the Louvre or a trip to Italy touring cathedrals and ancient ruins. For some, soaking in the history of a place is fascinating and fun. Hustling around from place to place. Me? I'd be bored to tears.

I'd rather "waste" my vacation on a beach, soaking up the sun, tasting interesting foods, drinking interesting drinks, catching up on my reading and naps. My only attire is a swimsuit, flip flops, and sunglasses. No real schedule, everything in slow motion. Maybe live music and a bar on the beach in the evening as the sun sinks into the sea; drinking a drink from a coconut with an umbrella is a nice bonus. THAT is fun and exciting to me.

You do what you enjoy, I'll do what I enjoy.

/end thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Higher chance of being a victim of terrorism once you leave the CONUS.
Got some data to back that up? While you're at it, define terrorism. Does random gun violence, or death at the hands of the authorities count as terrorism?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:11 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I think the moral of the story is "boring" in the eye of the beholder.

Some people think a great way to vacation is to visit a city, foreign or domestic, and spend countless hours in museums or touring historic places or the must see landmarks. A trip to Paris visiting the Louvre or a trip to Italy touring cathedrals and ancient ruins. For some, soaking in the history of a place is fascinating and fun. Hustling around from place to place. Me? I'd be bored to tears.

I'd rather "waste" my vacation on a beach, soaking up the sun, tasting interesting foods, drinking interesting drinks, catching up on my reading and naps. My only attire is a swimsuit, flip flops, and sunglasses. No real schedule, everything in slow motion. Maybe live music and a bar on the beach in the evening as the sun sinks into the sea; drinking a drink from a coconut with an umbrella is a nice bonus. THAT is fun and exciting to me.

You do what you enjoy, I'll do what I enjoy.

/end thread

A mix of your examples would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel