Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Rent a vehicle.

I second this! With a vehicle you have more control, and ultimately end up paying less because you can set your own course, without having to pay tips,food, etc, while waiting, delays, lost luggage, etc etc.

Do make sure to ask about the one-way rental surcharge. Get a van or vehicle with a large trunk so you can store your stuff, that saves on shipping costs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 02:54 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
Dear god, don't ride the Greyhound bus! Rent a car!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:00 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times
Mod cut.

OP, if you are making such a move, surely you must have some type of friend or relative at either your destination or at least someone where you live now that would be willing to drive for you in their vehicle for a reasonable fee?

Please don't risk your life and the lives of others driving this distance, especially in an unfamiliar vehicle or a cargo van!

I echo another posters sentiment, sell or dump almost all of your stuff and take a flight in a single seat. It may be uncomfortable, but it's a heck of a lot faster than the road.

Assuming these are regular commercial airports, a taxi will have no problem taking you to and from there.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-25-2017 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:09 AM

29 posts, read 28,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I second this! With a vehicle you have more control, and ultimately end up paying less because you can set your own course, without having to pay tips,food, etc, while waiting, delays, lost luggage, etc etc.

Do make sure to ask about the one-way rental surcharge. Get a van or vehicle with a large trunk so you can store your stuff, that saves on shipping costs, etc.
Thanks SO much! I'm glad you see where I'm coming from, even though it seems like Greyhound IS the cheapest. I guess, for a reason! Last year, my luggage didn't show up for like nearly a week. & I've heard HORROR stories of people losing their luggage & stuff. In the past, I've been sexually assaulted in my sleep, riding the Greyhound, also. MORE than once.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Rent a car....as long as you can return it easily. You'll be able to pack it full, and greyhound might not have that much room for your things. You can make that drive in 1 day if you start in the early am. Have a safe trip

Old 05-24-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Rent a car....as long as you can return it easily. You'll be able to pack it full, and greyhound might not have that much room for your things. You can make that drive in 1 day if you start in the early am. Have a safe trip
Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,467 times
How are you renting a car if you don't have a credit credit?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
How are you renting a car if you don't have a credit credit?
With Enterprise, since I'm a current local resident, I can use my debit card. I've rented a car earlier this year, using my debit card, & everything went smoothly. There was a $200 security deposit hold, in addition to my rental charges, & then the $200 got refunded.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:50 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
[snip]

OP, if you are making such a move, surely you must have some type of friend or relative at either your destination or at least someone where you live now that would be willing to drive for you in their vehicle for a reasonable fee?

Please don't risk your life and the lives of others driving this distance, especially in an unfamiliar vehicle or a cargo van!

I echo another posters sentiment, sell or dump almost all of your stuff and take a flight in a single seat. It may be uncomfortable, but it's a heck of a lot faster than the road.

Assuming these are regular commercial airports, a taxi will have no problem taking you to and from there.

You will do FINE in a rental car. Judging from people on the road, you are probably a more cautious driver than most. Just take your time.

If the bed is an issue, leave it...seriously. When you arrive at your new place, buy an inflatable bed as a temporary solution...they have become pretty comfortable.

Don't take the bus!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-25-2017 at 07:45 PM..

Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
When I worked for the the South Carolina Department of Corrections my senior year in college, the primary way we moved inmates throughout the states was by Greyhound. The SCDoC still does that. Inmates will be your bus mates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel