Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:49 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times

Advertisements

Take the bus or pay someone to drive you there. With your lack of experience behind the wheel, the interstate highways are no place to be getting reacquainted with the roads. It can be very dangerous out there, and some quick thinking and some experience will go a long ways in getting you there safely, you can't be timid and be poking along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 03:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
You will do FINE in a rental car. Judging from people on the road, you are probably a more cautious driver than most. Just take your time.

If the bed is an issue, leave it...seriously. When you arrive at your new place, buy an inflatable bed as a temporary solution...they have become pretty comfortable.

Don't take the bus!
When I moved across country, I bought an inflatable bed at my destination. I actually slept on it for almost 3 months! It is the size of a mattress with box spring on the floor and very comfortable. It was about $130.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:24 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandC825 View Post
In New Orleans, the Greyhound & Amtrak are both at the same station.
In Greenville, they are not. but they're not horribly far apart. Both are on West Washington. I'd look towards train for any trips that you're not moving items, if there are any. It's going to cost you $125, more or less. Don't know what direction you're coming from, but based on your description, I think you're probably closer to the Amtrak station than you are to the Bus Station. Bus Station is up by Main.. Amtrak you have to go down to 'the end' of Washington.

I haven't been to the train station in years.. It was kinda dumpy the last time I was there, but looks far better now.. I'll actually be there tomorrow as I am bringing someone in via Amtrak. That whole area of Greenville has gotten better since the ballpark.

All in all.. From a cost standpoint, i'd say it depends on the amount of time you're staying in NO on each trip. I'd say your rate with Enterprise, adding in the insurance and all.. You're probably looking at close to $75/day. You get about 3 days before train is more economical.

The downside of the train is that it leaves at 5am. It's still a 15 hour ride, but train is a relatively fun ride. Trains don't often arrive on schedule, either. The past 4 days.. It's been pretty good so far as on time leaving Greenville, but arriving in NO has been 57 minutes, 2 hours 28 minutes, 1 hour 40 minutes late, and today is running 1 hour 33 minutes late. All those tracks are Norfolk Southern tracks, so Amtrak gets low priority, and gets delayed to avoid interfering with cargo.

And.. You generally don't have to worry about weight.. there's usually plenty of free seats on the train and the seats are much larger than an airline seat.

Quote:
With Enterprise, since I'm a current local resident, I can use my debit card. I've rented a car earlier this year, using my debit card, & everything went smoothly. There was a $200 security deposit hold, in addition to my rental charges, & then the $200 got refunded.
You know the pitfalls.. Most people don't realize about that hold. They likely do a credit pull on you, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
When I worked for the the South Carolina Department of Corrections my senior year in college, the primary way we moved inmates throughout the states was by Greyhound. The SCDoC still does that. Inmates will be your bus mates.
So do the Feds, so does every other prison system in the US. You get released from Federal Prison you get money for a bus ticket back home and a few bucks for food along the way. At least on a train, you can get up and move cars. On a bus.. You're stuck there if someone starts bothering you.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 PM

29 posts, read 28,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
In Greenville, they are not. but they're not horribly far apart. Both are on West Washington. I'd look towards train for any trips that you're not moving items, if there are any. It's going to cost you $125, more or less. Don't know what direction you're coming from, but based on your description, I think you're probably closer to the Amtrak station than you are to the Bus Station. Bus Station is up by Main.. Amtrak you have to go down to 'the end' of Washington.

I haven't been to the train station in years.. It was kinda dumpy the last time I was there, but looks far better now.. I'll actually be there tomorrow as I am bringing someone in via Amtrak. That whole area of Greenville has gotten better since the ballpark.

All in all.. From a cost standpoint, i'd say it depends on the amount of time you're staying in NO on each trip. I'd say your rate with Enterprise, adding in the insurance and all.. You're probably looking at close to $75/day. You get about 3 days before train is more economical.

The downside of the train is that it leaves at 5am. It's still a 15 hour ride, but train is a relatively fun ride. Trains don't often arrive on schedule, either. The past 4 days.. It's been pretty good so far as on time leaving Greenville, but arriving in NO has been 57 minutes, 2 hours 28 minutes, 1 hour 40 minutes late, and today is running 1 hour 33 minutes late. All those tracks are Norfolk Southern tracks, so Amtrak gets low priority, and gets delayed to avoid interfering with cargo.

And.. You generally don't have to worry about weight.. there's usually plenty of free seats on the train and the seats are much larger than an airline seat.

You know the pitfalls.. Most people don't realize about that hold. They likely do a credit pull on you, too.

So do the Feds, so does every other prison system in the US. You get released from Federal Prison you get money for a bus ticket back home and a few bucks for food along the way. At least on a train, you can get up and move cars. On a bus.. You're stuck there if someone starts bothering you.

The Greyhound bus station is no longer downtown. It's WAY on Woodruff Rd., where the transit buses don't go.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
When I moved across country, I bought an inflatable bed at my destination. I actually slept on it for almost 3 months! It is the size of a mattress with box spring on the floor and very comfortable. It was about $130.
I may have to leave my bed behind & look into the inflatable mattress. That way, I probably may not need to rent anything. How would I need to go about shipping my important papers, extra clothes, & other valuables that couldn't fit with the buses or trains? With all my stuff, the amount I would pay for shipping through Greyhound or any other shipping company, I may as well rent a vehicle? I may have to rent a big car or an SUV.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Take the bus or pay someone to drive you there. With your lack of experience behind the wheel, the interstate highways are no place to be getting reacquainted with the roads. It can be very dangerous out there, and some quick thinking and some experience will go a long ways in getting you there safely, you can't be timid and be poking along.
As many HORRIBLE drivers there are on the road, I can't believe how many people trying to make like I don't have the mentality to drive. You don't even know me! & I don't have "lack of" experience. SMH! How do you expect someone to GAIN experience?

Old 05-25-2017, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 549 times
Well I think it all depends on your finances, but I took a bus ride only once and it was a bad time. It was smelly and I thought the people around me were rude. It all goes down to can you afford to rent a car. If you can, I would. I'm sure you'd be more comfortable and you wouldn't have to wait at the terminal, that alone can be a real experience.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girly girl 59 View Post
Well I think it all depends on your finances, but I took a bus ride only once and it was a bad time. It was smelly and I thought the people around me were rude. It all goes down to can you afford to rent a car. If you can, I would. I'm sure you'd be more comfortable and you wouldn't have to wait at the terminal, that alone can be a real experience.
Thanks for the help.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:14 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
The problem is, I'm afraid I'm too overweight to fly, & fear having to pay for 2 seats, which I can't afford.
FYI, on Southwest you can get a refund after the flight for the cost of the second seat. Details can be found here: https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...R-CUSTOMER-COS

So you don't have to completely rule out flying!

Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
Do this:

Rent a car. Take your time driving. You are probably a safer driver than most people.

Buy an inflatable mattress for your bed when you arrive...from Walmart, Target, etc.

Ship your lighter stuff (clothing, papers) via the U.S. Mail if you want, but I would think most would fit in the car.

You know, you could rent a mini-van...very comfortable, lots of room for your stuff, you can pull into rest stops for a nap. We rented a Dodge Caravan on a trip once. We didn't plan that, the rental car company didn't have what we reserved, so they upgraded us. It was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel