Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 07:46 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times

Advertisements

can't stand COLD environments! Aside from one dream of seeing the Aurora Borealis in the Scandinavian area, I really want nothing to do with COLD climates. You can keep the snow capped mountains and ski resorts. My friends enjoy skiing. I'm the one sitting in the lodge sipping warm cider or listening to soft music.

Also anything that has me on the supper plate for the animal kingdom! No safari's or amazon trips .
Guess that falls under safety....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 10:16 PM

692 posts, read 1,005,180 times
When getting there is a huge hassle. I like being other places. I just loathe the getting there part so any destination that requires a dozen different modes of transportation stretched out over several days just to get there is a no for me. Been there done that. Over it. If I am going to be in said place for long period of time, say a month, maybe but otherwise I don't want to take 4 flights, 2 trains 3 buses and a regional mode of transportation endemic to that area over the course of 3 days just to get somewhere and then have to turn around and do it again to get home.

Quote:
can't stand COLD environments!
Ditto. I will never climb Everest or go anywhere near it and I am fine with that.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
I live less than ten minutes from a perfectly lovely Gulf of Mexico beach where people pay thousands of dollars a week to go on vacation. No desire to spend a lot of money on a beach resort or tropical cruise experience elsewhere when $6 in bridge tolls gets me that in a staycation.

Our vacations typically end up being a mix of mountains/canyons and big cities in the name of getting something very different than home. When we road trip elsewhere in Florida, it's usually for more diverse shopping, museums, and such.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:13 AM

981 posts, read 900,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsinSnow View Post
I couldn't travel to countries throughout the world where dogs are eaten and if you are walking by the street or whatever, you see dead dog meat being sold or about to be butchered dogs in cages. I know people may take offense to this so I'm sorry for that.

I won't stay in bed and breakfasts. I don't like when people see me coming and going.

I won't travel to places that have a really high stray dog population. I looked into some cheap countries around the world to travel to and many poor countries have an extremely high homeless dog population just wandering.

I won't go back to Austin, TX. I've been there 4x and each time something really bad happened. 1x got my heart broken, 2nd time was on a trip from Hell with a friend (no longer my friend...) 3rd time spent all this money there hoping to get a job offer (I didn't), 4th time I tried to reconnect with the guy who broke my heart...He wasn't interested. I also got a speeding ticket within 5 minutes of me getting my rental car when I arrived at the airport.
Cats, makes me so sad to read this, but it is so true. I wont go to many places for the exact same reason. It just breaks my heart.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:24 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
One of the biggest deal breakers for me is squat toilets. The idea of that is so disgusting.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:53 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I wouldn't go to ANY country that kills endangered animals JUST for certain body parts that they are convinced will help with their sexual performance, which they are totally obsessed with.

Rhino horn, elephant tusks, bear gall bladder, tiger parts, throwing live sharks back in the water after cutting off their fins. You know who they are. No way. Whale-killing countries.

Also the ones notorious for sexual trafficking.
I get what you are saying - truly, I do. But one could make the argument that you should also ban countries where consumers buy those products. Of the demand wasn't there, no one would be supplying those horrific products.

And, sadly, that demand includes buyers in the US.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:04 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Too many bears everywhere in Sequoia. I'm afraid of them.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:44 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
I hate flying. But that's OK because I love driving and there's a lot of the US I want to explore.

I hate crowds so I don't like traditional touristy events or places. I have done a couple and survived but I would never plan a trip around that every time.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:44 PM

409 posts, read 293,441 times
Ditto on the animal and human rights abuses, big cities, touristy areas, cruises, and heat and humidity. I would like to see the Grand Canyon and more national parks, but some are so crowded with all the tour buses that it ruins the experience.

I also have no desire to go to places where petty crimes like pickpocketing are prevalent, or where you have to pay bribes, or where you risk being swindled.

Also off the list are places that involve extremely long flights. I loved Australia, but the flight there from the middle of the U.S. was interminable and I'm never doing that again. In fact, flying in general has become so unpleasant that we've ruled out places we might otherwise have gone.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:14 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
It may sound stupid but I like being in my own environment, in my own home, in my own town. I hate flying, even more so these days with the airlines being so unfriendly. I hate living out of a suitcase and despite so many people telling me I should take a cruise I'm afraid of getting seasick due to a few bouts of labrynthitis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel