Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:30 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
It may sound stupid but I like being in my own environment, in my own home, in my own town. I hate flying, even more so these days with the airlines being so unfriendly. I hate living out of a suitcase and despite so many people telling me I should take a cruise I'm afraid of getting seasick due to a few bouts of labrynthitis.
So you hate to travel, but like to read about the travel stories and experiences of others here in the Travel Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I live less than ten minutes from a perfectly lovely Gulf of Mexico beach where people pay thousands of dollars a week to go on vacation. No desire to spend a lot of money on a beach resort or tropical cruise experience elsewhere when $6 in bridge tolls gets me that in a staycation.
To each his (or her) own, I guess. I live in an oceanfront condo and just have to take an elevator ride downstairs to enjoy a beach staycation. Here's the view from my sofa (which I've posted before):

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-view-sofa.jpg

That said, living on Miami Beach hasn't dissuaded me in the least from visiting and vacationing in Hawaii, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Fiji, Cairns, Bali, Rio, Nice, and various Caribbean islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
To each his (or her) own, I guess. I live in an oceanfront condo and just have to take an elevator ride downstairs to enjoy a beach staycation. Here's the view from my sofa (which I've posted before):

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-view-sofa.jpg

That said, living on Miami Beach hasn't dissuaded me in the least from visiting and vacationing in Hawaii, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Fiji, Cairns, Bali, Rio, Nice, and various Caribbean islands.
I'm interested in Hawaii for the mountains, and the French Riviera for cultural reasons. Rio, maybe if the safety situation improves. (I like to wander, and am not interested in a place where it's not safe to get voluntarily lost in). But I've got limited travel funds, and it doesn't make sense to go halfway around the world for the primary reason of sitting at the beach.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I avoid:

1. Places involved with human trafficking and human rights abuses.
2. Places which celebrate or condone cruelty to animals.
3. Anyplace in a war zone
4. Deserts/dry climates--just too bizarre walking/driving around and not seeing trees/water/greenery all over. It's also scary as F if you get lost in a hot desert.

Have you been to Phoenix? TONS of trees and greenery all over the place. Sure, not as much water as a place like say, Miami, but there are lots of lakes and mountains as well. Not all desert climates are just sand dunes.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I wouldn't go to ANY country that kills endangered animals JUST for certain body parts that they are convinced will help with their sexual performance, which they are totally obsessed with.

Rhino horn, elephant tusks, bear gall bladder, tiger parts, throwing live sharks back in the water after cutting off their fins. You know who they are. No way. Whale-killing countries.

Also the ones notorious for sexual trafficking.
The highlighted part makes me really mad and sad at the same time. I consider the tiger as the most beautiful and majestic animal on land. They really want nothing from us except to be left alone so that they can hunt the bucks and gazelles and live their lives.

Yet we see old men in a country wanting to improve their virility, imagining that eating tiger bones and testicles will do that. The money they offer makes many a poor Indian risk their life trying to trap them and kill them for a few dollars. And like the mountain gorillas and sharks, these animals give up their life just for a few parts.

No wonder I stroppily support the decision of the Indian government to allow poacher to be killed by the game warden if they are caught in the act of poaching. At some point one has to say enough is enough to prevent these animals from becoming extinct.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:29 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There is definitely lots of natural beauty in the Southern and Midwestern
I lived in Southern and Midwestern states. Besides the Appalachian and Chicago, nothing else worth visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel