Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

Lay aside safety/crime issues, what are some rather peculiar/quirky reasons you won't travel somewhere, that your friends might exclaim: Are you plum crazy? You wouldn't travel there because of this or that? You're weirder than weird!!!

Being a desert rat for too long, even if you offered me an all-expense paid trip to Bali, at a 5-star hotel, I wouldn't go! Spend 80-90% of my time in an air-conditioned hotel room? Heat/Humidity would send me crashing to the sidewalk!

I was rudely awakened one morning, about 5am, in Delhi and had no idea what the wailing noise was or came from. I learned: a mosque nearby! So, to avoid traveling somewhere where I'd have to deal with 5 calls to prayer everyday, and being so sensitive to noise, No Way!

I only smoke a half pack of cig's a day now, but after Bloomberg banned smoking in NYC parks, Central Park, and even office plaza's, I thought: Where else then? I must walk to the East or Hudson River to smoke?
So no more NYC!

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 12:48 AM

212 posts, read 156,565 times
I couldn't travel to countries throughout the world where dogs are eaten and if you are walking by the street or whatever, you see dead dog meat being sold or about to be butchered dogs in cages. I know people may take offense to this so I'm sorry for that.

I won't stay in bed and breakfasts. I don't like when people see me coming and going.

I won't travel to places that have a really high stray dog population. I looked into some cheap countries around the world to travel to and many poor countries have an extremely high homeless dog population just wandering.

I won't go back to Austin, TX. I've been there 4x and each time something really bad happened. 1x got my heart broken, 2nd time was on a trip from Hell with a friend (no longer my friend...) 3rd time spent all this money there hoping to get a job offer (I didn't), 4th time I tried to reconnect with the guy who broke my heart...He wasn't interested. I also got a speeding ticket within 5 minutes of me getting my rental car when I arrived at the airport.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:49 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
I won't go to Russia. Been there, done that. The food sacked. Only time I've been on vacation and LOST weight.

If on a cruise, I don't bother getting off at the following stops anymore: Ensenada, Nassau, Acapulco, Civitavecchia (except maybe to get a meal), Ocho Rios, and Ketchican.

All are either dirty, pointless, or touristy. Staying on the ship is very nice when everybody else is off playing tourist.

OP - boy, you've eliminated a lot of the world from your travel list. I've made multiple trips to countries that eat dog. I've NEVER seen them at the meat shops or live in cages in front of the butcher. Ive seen Snakes, bunnies (in France, btw), rats, turtles, ostrich, Guinea pig various and sundry bugs, scorpion, various game meats, etc.

I've eaten (and enjoyed) snake, ostrich (delicios!), Guinea pig and a few game meats. I did NOT enjoy the scorpion.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 06-02-2017 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 09:01 AM

212 posts, read 156,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I won't go to Russia. Been there, done that. The food sacked. Only time I've been on vacation and LOST weight.

If on a cruise, I don't bother getting off at the following stops anymore: Ensenada, Nassau, Acapulco, Civitavecchia (except maybe to get a meal), Ocho Rios, and Ketchican.

All are either dirty, pointless, or touristy. Staying on the ship is very nice when everybody else is off playing tourist.

OP - boy, you've eliminated a lot of the world from your travel list. I've made multiple trips to countries that eat dog. I've NEVER seen them at the meat shops or live in cages in front of the butcher. Ive seen Snakes, bunnies (in France, btw), rats, turtles, ostrich, Guinea pig various and sundry bugs, scorpion, various game meats, etc.

I've eaten (and enjoyed) snake, ostrich (delicios!), Guinea pig and a few game meats. I did NOT enjoy the scorpion.
I'm not the OP. Yes I know that eliminates several countries. I think some of the countries that consume the most dog are North and South Korea, China, Vietnam, and Cambodia. Never had a huge desire to go there. I've been told that there is a rural community in Switzerland that also eats dogs. One of my friend's is Mexican and said that many poor Mexicans kill and eat stray dogs. I think though that happens pretty much worldwide if someone is poor and hungry. I also wouldn't go to Nepal because they have a holiday that occurs where they kill a ton of dogs. There was some organization designed to save some of those dogs and rescue them throughout the world.

I was a vegan for a number of years. While I am not anymore, I just try to do what I can to avoid eating animals. I also don't buy wool, leather or suede. Before someone mentions it, yes I know cows, chickens, fish, turkeys and more animals get killed for meat.

Anyway I agree with you on some of your cruise stops. Ocho Rios was a dump and aside from doing some inner tubing which was boring, if taking a cruise again I would stay on the ship. Same with Nassau unless I was doing the sting ray snorkeling thing. Ensendad I would only skip if I didn't need to stock up on mediation.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:07 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,593 times
For me it's food. Don't care how beautiful the landscape, how many priceless historical sites, yada, yada, yada. If the food's bland, forget it.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:23 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,154,014 times
I won't stay in an Airbnb even if it's cheaper. I'd rather overpay for the hotel. I could probably do Airbnb in the states, but overseas? Forget it, too risky for me to do it.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:05 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I won't stay in an Airbnb even if it's cheaper. I'd rather overpay for the hotel. I could probably do Airbnb in the states, but overseas? Forget it, too risky for me to do it.
That's too bad, I have had fantastic luck booking in Europe.

After a bad time in Morocco, I would hesitate to visit anywhere near there (northern Africa) or the Middle East

Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
At 67, fearing I wouldn't even live to see 60, I made sure all my foreign travel was done before that time, including one Around-The-World Air Pass in 1991, 12 trips to Central/South America, and elsewhere, so now I can afford to be picky-picky!

I've lived 24 years in the desert now, 21 in ultra-dry Las Vegas (4 inches of precip. a year) which denotes no terrorists, such as mosquito's, gnats, woodticks, or even flies. And having not been bitten by a mosquito in 24 years, I'm more limited by travel choices than ever. Also, incomprehensible to so many, the longer you live in the desert, the more sensitive your body become to humidity. SO! Ain't goin' nowhere in summer, at least, where I'll collide with humidity and insects, which still leaves lots of choices.

"Are you coming to the family reunion July 4? In Minnesota??? Where on July 4 it could be in the 70's or the 90's!!! With unbearable humidity!!"

Me: Why can't we have the family reunion on January 4th? Where there won't be any insects! Or heat and humidity!

"Oh for Pete's Sake, it wouldn't hurt you to Man Up for a few days!"

Old 06-02-2017, 10:16 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,154,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
That's too bad, I have had fantastic luck booking in Europe.

After a bad time in Morocco, I would hesitate to visit anywhere near there (northern Africa) or the Middle East
I want to do it, but I get anxious and start thinking about worse case scenarios, i.e. owner of the home comes in and steals our passports while we're away.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:50 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I want to do it, but I get anxious and start thinking about worse case scenarios, i.e. owner of the home comes in and steals our passports while we're away.
We do the entire home rentals (although had a great experience renting a private room) but that thought has never crossed my mind. You usually never see them except at check in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel