Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 01:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times

Advertisements

$5 per day, I tip every day.

$35 is not going to break me or my budget on a 7 night stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 02:07 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I traveled for 30 years. At least 4 nights a week in a hote. All high end properties.

Our vacations were also at high end hotels and resorts.

I only tipped when someone went out of their way for me. Did something special, etc.

TIPS To Insure Proper Service
Lah di dah. So, you can afford high end hotels and resorts. Minimum tip nowadays for servers is at least 10%-20%. If the service is extraordinary, you tip more. You could at least leave $5 for maid who cleans up after you; more if they did a little extra. The $13.50 an hour my sister earns affords her a subsistence living. If it wasn't for my mom sending her a bit extra each month, she would be hurting. Btw, she makes to much, but just barely too much, to qualify for SNAP. We are comfortably middle class but tip our maids. It may make all the difference.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:16 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
We leave our tip every day as well. We put it on the pillow; that way, she knows it is for her.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:23 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
I tip when I am fairly certain that the maid service is a legal.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:32 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We, too, tip everyday. After one experience where the maid refused to take the tip---even though it was in a obvious place, I now take a piece of paper and write "thank you!" on it and put the money underneath the note. Most maids don't respond to the note. Occasionally, someone will write "thank you".

Last year, we stayed in a hotel and had the same housekeeper everyday. We believe the housekeeper was a male as the name on the notes written was "Tony". Everyday, we returned to a nice note thanking us and wishing us a great day! We plan to stay in that hotel again at some point. Of course, we don't know who will be cleaning the room but all the staff we've talked to at this hotel have been very nice
Yup, I would always leave a note that said "for housekeeping", after having the tip left a few times. I've never rec'd a thank you though.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:44 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We, too, tip everyday. After one experience where the maid refused to take the tip---even though it was in a obvious place, I now take a piece of paper and write "thank you!" on it and put the money underneath the note. Most maids don't respond to the note. Occasionally, someone will write "thank you".
We also leave Thank You notes with the tip, daily.

For standard hotels in the US (Hilton, DoubleTree) and standard rooms, we tip $5 a day, more if it's a nicer hotel (Conrad, Waldorf-Astoria, etc), a suite, or if the kids made a particularly bad mess. Sometimes we tip less when traveling internationally, particularly in countries where COL is much lower.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:50 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
I always tip. Cleaning up after people is no fun if an extra $5 makes someones day a little better then I see no reason not to.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
I tip them a couple bucks a day and always get it back in chocolates, bottled water, fruit, etc.
I get my sheets changed daily, extra towels etc.
One time, evening turn down we were in the room getting ready to go to the theater.
My husband joking around said a chocolate would sure be good right then. She gave him a whole box!
We had been there several days so she knew she was getting tips from us.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:10 PM

6,595 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I tip when I am fairly certain that the maid service is a legal.
what does her immigration status have to do with anything?

Old 06-24-2017, 06:03 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I usually tip each day since the cleaning staff may change & inadvertently the person coming on the day I leave may not have been the one cleaning my room the rest of the week.
Good observation.

And yes, cleaning staff SHOULD be tipped. Hard drudge work and not a huge income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel