Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:35 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,389,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Lots of people can't afford business or first class. I do agree with the comments on the local cuisine. Kids that misbehave and parents who don't control them are a major problem. I don't like that either.
I can't, too, and wearing 35" long jeans I do have problems in economy. Flew business just a few times. But it's my problem, not a travel atrocity, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 06:44 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,389,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The child might have four grandparents and dozens of aunts and uncles and cousins, and the parents can take the baby to visit them, or charter an airliner for the family and go to see the baby. People are funny about babies.

I can think of a lot of other self indulgent people who can stay home if they can't stand for a few xanax-free hours the emotional trauma of associating with strangers who have lives of their own .
Are you saying that 200+ suffering passengers should care about screaming beast's grandparents? I bet they curse them because they didn't explain to their child what parents' responsibilities are.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:19 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,222,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Are you saying that 200+ suffering passengers should care about screaming beast's grandparents? I bet they curse them because they didn't explain to their child what parents' responsibilities are.
Yup, that's what I.m saying.

First of all, Ive flown through 24 airports on six continents in the past few years, and I have not yet heard a baby cry for more than about 30 seconds, on a plane nor in the terminal.. Luckily, I was not on any of your Hell-flights, where crying babies seem to be a standard feature as well as lord knows what other atrocities..

Second, flying is an unusual experience for most children, who have not yet become accustomed to the trials of the experience, such as being in a confined space surrounded by strangers in a noisy uncomfortable environment, unusual routine scheduling, pre-occupied parents, and inner ear pressurization, to name a few. That babies sometimes cry no longer surprises me.

But public transportation is exactly that, a means for all members of the public, without renting, buying or chartering their own private conveyance. Ride a bus in Guatemala sometime, with a fellow passenger's goat in your lap, and you will begin to get a sense of the human condition outside your own sheltered and well-mannered experience. There are all kinds of people out here, and we all find a way to deal with each other.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:34 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,271,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
So, I just got back from a long trip. And I can think of a few things that annoy me about traveling: cramped airline seats, awful plane food, etc..

What are some of the that annoy you about traveling??
I used to hate those cramped seats . One time I had to set in a twisted position because my shoulders were so wide and the kind people on either side of me didn’t appreciate my shoulders touching their own. My upper back still hurts from that!

I also grew to dislike the rudeness of people who couldn’t find it within themselves to must more than a hello during a 4 hour flight. WTH is wrong with people that they aren’t capable of having a nice conversation?

Larger airports have the motorized walkway and there was always some jerk complaining about the first time fliers who thought it was ok to stop on the moving belt instead of continuing to walk on it. I saw this in Atlanta numerous times. What does it matter if you have to wait a few more seconds to be able to go around them? They’ve having a blast with it, why not loosen up for a change?

I won’t even go into the security stuff. My BP can’t handle it at the moment.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,884,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I also grew to dislike the rudeness of people who couldn’t find it within themselves to must more than a hello during a 4 hour flight. WTH is wrong with people that they aren’t capable of having a nice conversation?

Larger airports have the motorized walkway and there was always some jerk complaining about the first time fliers who thought it was ok to stop on the moving belt instead of continuing to walk on it. I saw this in Atlanta numerous times. What does it matter if you have to wait a few more seconds to be able to go around them? They’ve having a blast with it, why not loosen up for a change?
2 of my last 3 trips by air have involved a dead relative and me feeling without energy and starting to come down with what turned out to be influenza on the return leg. Sometimes other people just want to pop the headphones on or ear buds in and interact with the rest of the world as little as possible.

As for the moving walkways, many of them are painted with 'Stand Right. Walk Left' for the simple reason that many people end up with tight connections, whether planned or unplanned, and a two minute difference can mean the difference on whether someone has the time to stop in the restroom on the way to the next gate or whether they make a connection at all.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:09 PM

16,428 posts, read 12,555,016 times
Quote:
Because some people are in a hurry to catch a connecting flight. The standard and appropriate practice is to stand on the right and walk on the left.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:21 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,599,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Americans...

You know as soon as you have arrived back in the USA... because everyone is yelling into their cell phone!

While international... if someone is complaining or making a BIG issue.... (or delaying a queue. / tour activity...) it is often an American. Not always, but often.
God this is such BS, you obviously have some chip on your shoulder the size of Neptune.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:22 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,257,309 times
Quote:
It's not necessarily rudeness. E.g. for me a 5-hour flight is a rare opportunity to watch 2 full length movies that I've downloaded on my iPad. I always say hello though and try to ask a casual question to see if the neighbors would like to talk. If I end up next to someone too chatty I just politely let them know I really want to see a movie and offer them a magazine in case they have no entertainment.

However, lately I've seen some passengers that just shut you off completely. Like not even a hello or "sorry, I just want to be left alone". Literally "hi, how are you?" and... crickets. Don't even acknowledge your existence. So weird.

Can't say that it's a major annoyance for me though. That got to be the stinky food and stinky people. Someone should make it illegal to sell onions in any form at the terminal.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,332,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Cranky travelers.

That may sound like a flippant response, but very honestly, the vast majority of my travel annoyances come from how uptight and b**chy other people can be. I don't love the cramped seats, but I'm used to them. I don't care for the food, but I can plan ahead and figure out something that I would prefer. Weather and maintenance delays are frustrating, but I'm grateful for arriving at my destination safely.

I completely agree with you.

I have flown somewhere in the ballpark of 500,000 miles, nearly all in coach and my experience has been:

No lost bags although one went missing for an hour.
Relatively few long delays due to weather although my home airports have been DTW, ORD, MDW, and CLE.
Very few unfriendly airport employees.

The ONLY airline that had constantly disappointed me with delays - always mechanical problems - was Northwest. I quit flying Northwest.

The ONLY airline that had some rude gate agents was TWA. I moved my business to America West and Southwest

And I do not fly United.

Would I like to go back to the time before regulation? NO. I could not afford to fly back then, I can fly PHX-CLE for half in ACTUAL dollars that it used to cost me to fly STL-CLE twenty five years ago.

When I fly, I make sure that I have had a great meal before getting to the airport. I get there very early. I bring my computer and a lot of reading material and view it as a nice day off. It sure beats driving 1000-2000 miles.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:12 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,116,619 times
vague laws and lumpy jailhouse gruel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel