Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 03:41 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Portugal for many years, but as I am not a citizen I always carry a copy of my passport out of habit. And it is often easier to pull out of my wallet than my driving license. But there has been a change in the law that strikes me as odd. I was told at the post office that I can not longer use a copy of my passport as ID, it must be the document itself. Ok.

But yesterday I bought morphine at the pharmacy, and ID was required and I flipped out my passport copy and then stopped...thinking, no this won't be legal. I began to fish for my license, and the clerk reached out and took my passport copy. I asked if it was legal as ID for a narcotics purchase. I got a rather puzzled affirmative...and then he wanted to know why I would ask. I told him about the post office, and he just shook his head no, no, no a copy is fine for narcotics.

OK, but still this strikes as a peculiar difference. I cannot claim a package at the P.O. with a passport copy, but I can buy thirty morphine tablets with a copy at the pharmacy.

Based on this, I wouldn't know what to tell someone about carrying their passport here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 03:44 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Leaving Passport in Hotel is not always safe. Many times baggage left by visitors have been burglarised and Passports stolen. There is a Hotel notice that dont leave valuables in room, Hotel is not responsible etc.

Not every Room has a Safe, hefty fine is there for losing the key of the Safe.
When I traveled to Barcelona several times I had to ask for a room with a safe, and I do leave my passport in the room safe when I travel. There was a charge for a lost key in Barcelona, and it was not small but it was not horrible either.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:49 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I have lived in Portugal for many years, but as I am not a citizen I always carry a copy of my passport out of habit. And it is often easier to pull out of my wallet than my driving license. But there has been a change in the law that strikes me as odd. I was told at the post office that I can not longer use a copy of my passport as ID, it must be the document itself. Ok.

But yesterday I bought morphine at the pharmacy, and ID was required and I flipped out my passport copy and then stopped...thinking, no this won't be legal. I began to fish for my license, and the clerk reached out and took my passport copy. I asked if it was legal as ID for a narcotics purchase. I got a rather puzzled affirmative...and then he wanted to know why I would ask. I told him about the post office, and he just shook his head no, no, no a copy is fine for narcotics.

OK, but still this strikes as a peculiar difference. I cannot claim a package at the P.O. with a passport copy, but I can buy thirty morphine tablets with a copy at the pharmacy.

Based on this, I wouldn't know what to tell someone about carrying their passport here.
Interesting. Sometimes, in places like Post Office, I have used Foreign ID. I have used American Driving License to collect Packet in Post Office in Europe and other country ID in USA.. Driving License is issued to Foreigners living in the country but it is a perfect ID unless airports & foreign trip where passport or visa are required before boarding flight. Any money places like money gram or Western Union or even currency exchange are unpredictable - license or passport or your address God knows what they can ask.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
In Israel, it is required by law for Israeli citizens and residents to carry state issued ID at all times. Therefore I assume that tourists must also carry their passport or a government issued ID as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel