Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:21 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times

Advertisements

When I've gone abroad (briefly) as a minor, and accompanied by parents, I let them handle that matter.

On the three solo trips I've taken to Canada as a legal adult, I have indeed carried around my passport, and not left it in the hotel room or something like that. The legalities, to the extent they may have existed, weren't even an afterthought. The passport did come in handy on at least one occasion that I remember--because handing over my New Jersey driver's license to buy booze proved quite cumbersome on more than one occasion, as the need became apparent on multiple separate occasions to flip through a voluminous book to vet the DL and demonstrate that it's not a fugazi. To prove I really was a 19/20 year old American attempting to buy booze in Canada.

On a deeper level, the passport is nice little trope. Like wearing a small American flag lapel pin. It's a token reminder of your Americanism, of which you would naturally be particularly cognizant in a foreign land. Even if that foreign land is really a quite proximate one, in some ways, such as Canada is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 07:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
In the EU walking around and using local public transportation, I have a color photocopy of my passport in my wallet, a picture of it on my iPhone, and my passport card in my wallet. I'm a 60-year-old 6'2" white guy dressed American. Nobody is going to do an ID check. I generally need a passport checking into a hotel, renting a car, and I always have my passport with me if I'm driving. Once in a blue moon, I have to do some banking and the bank wants to see it.

I'm far more concerned about pickpockets in Europe than getting a spot ID check. I keep my passport, a spare credit card, and spare ATM card at the hotel.

Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan are the same. Ditto Israel. Ditto Australia/New Zealand. I'm the obvious American business man.

In Canada, I've never needed anything but a US drivers license. I show my passport at the airport in Canada coming & going. Driving over the border, I just make sure my passport card is in my wallet. I'm not in an enhanced driver's license state (Vermont, New York, Michigan, Washington state, a couple others) or I'd just use that drivers license when I'm driving into Canada.

In China, I always carry it. Same for Singapore where I've been stopped a few times walking around late at night with jet lag.

My travel pattern is pretty much 100% first world or the prosperous parts of Asia.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
On a deeper level, the passport is nice little trope. Like wearing a small American flag lapel pin. It's a token reminder of your Americanism, of which you would naturally be particularly cognizant in a foreign land. Even if that foreign land is really a quite proximate one, in some ways, such as Canada is.

Jeez. My sister travels on her Canadian passport. I'd do the same if I had one.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:28 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No. But I have picture of it in my phone (previously had copy in my wallet).

That's what we did! Good solution, although when I travel in third world countries I still carry the actual passport most of the time.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:53 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
The Best advice is:

• lock your passport in a safe if you have access to one, or if you are required to keep it with you, ensure its location is not visible.
  • make two photocopies of your passport – leave one with friends or family and take the second with you, or store an electronic copy securely; where permitted, use your photocopy as alternative ID, for example when going out at night.
  • for certain countries your passport must be valid for 6 months after the date you travel – check the entry requirements before you go
  • ensure you fill in the emergency details / next of kin page before you go.
Be passport aware and avoid being hustled on holiday - Gov.UK

Old 12-29-2018, 09:34 AM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times
I feel safer with it on my person than in a hotel room.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:41 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
I carry it ONLY when there isn't an inroom safe. I'm not living it in a hotel room or Airbnb without locking it up.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:19 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Countries which specify that travellers should carry their passports at all time , include Russia, China, North Korea, Japan, most of the Middle East ae well as third world countries or countries that are at war or not democracies, they may demand documentation.

In terms of most democratic countries such as Italy, France Spain, a photocopy of your passport information page, will usually surfice in terms of an ID stop, and they will be more understanding as why you have left your passport behind the hotel desk or in a hotel safe.

In Japan, the government advises travellers to carry their passports with them for inspection by an authorised officer because a foreigner's passport will describe the limits of his or her activities in Japan. Travellers are told to keep a photocopy of their passport in their hotel in case the original gets stolen or lost.

In China, you will need your passport if you are purchasing or picking up a train ticket at a train station. In South Africa, you will need your passport to change money.

Finally in most countries, you will need your passport if you are buying a SIM card. Unless you are travelling within the Schengen Area of Europe, it is essential to have your passport on hand if you are crossing a national border.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:54 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In the EU walking around and using local public transportation, I have a color photocopy of my passport in my wallet, a picture of it on my iPhone, and my passport card in my wallet. I'm a 60-year-old 6'2" white guy dressed American. Nobody is going to do an ID check. I generally need a passport checking into a hotel, renting a car, and I always have my passport with me if I'm driving. Once in a blue moon, I have to do some banking and the bank wants to see it.

I'm far more concerned about pickpockets in Europe than getting a spot ID check. I keep my passport, a spare credit card, and spare ATM card at the hotel.

My travel pattern is pretty much 100% first world.
This how we do it too. Hotel safe. Or here in our home country, all this is in the safe, and copies in our wallet. Originals for travel, hotel and bank.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:24 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
I only carry mine when I don't feel good about the in room hotel safe.Especially in older hotels that only have a main safe no room safes.

As mentioned carrying a photo of your PP makes the most sense to me.

I keep a low profile in foreign countries so it's extremely rare I need access to it right away anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel