Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 09:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,190,820 times

Advertisements

USA airlines and travelers really need access to the "Quick Test',
Hopefully readily available very soon. (Unless curtailed by politics, not science) That's Highly likely at the moment. (some people do not want to KNOW the actual numbers of exposed and contagious transmitters)

This one very simple tool (find the viral load), would be a huge benefit to commerce, businesses, education.

Some countries STARTED their Covid controls doing this 6 months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 11:54 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,277,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier1962 View Post
I think the people who are afraid to fly right now because of the virus are the same ones you see driving down the street in their car with their windows rolled up and fully masked. Like the virus is out there hanging in the open air.
When it comes to COVID risk avoidance, I ask myself two questions: Based on what I know from sources I consider to be credible, how much will this reduce my risk? And- does the degree of risk reduction justify whatever hassle, deprivation or change is involved?

Masking in closed public areas and riding my bicycle instead of going to the gym: no-brainers. Same for reducing shopping trips.

I just did a week-long road trip to SC to visit Dad in LTC since I don't know if he OR I will live long enough for the places to open up to visitors. Hotel overnight each way, a couple of takeout dinners, a few family gatherings of 10 people or under with people whose level of caution is similar. Staying home would undoubtedly have been safer but it was time. Dad is failing.

Flying: well, I can live pretty well without getting on a plane for awhile, and the plane trip from Des Moines to Chicago that I'd planned with my granddaughters (ages 3 and 6) for May has not been re-scheduled. I'd love to but now we're bringing 2 small children and my beloved some and DIL into the equation. It may be awhile.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:01 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,554,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
USA airlines and travelers really need access to the "Quick Test',
Hopefully readily available very soon. (Unless curtailed by politics, not science) That's Highly likely at the moment. (some people do not want to KNOW the actual numbers of exposed and contagious transmitters)

This one very simple tool (find the viral load), would be a huge benefit to commerce, businesses, education.

Some countries STARTED their Covid controls doing this 6 months ago.
I've invested in 5-6 "Quick Test" companies. So far, I am only maybe $2000 loss on $6k investments, penny stocks and dime stocks. I've exited (liquidated) last week and now have only token amounts.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,190,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I've invested in 5-6 "Quick Test" companies. So far, I am only maybe $2000 loss on $6k investments, penny stocks and dime stocks. I've exited (liquidated) last week and now have only token amounts.
Exiting positions is a sure sign they are about to Break Out (At least that is my luck)

There will be no $$ in these until they start producing, and the Barrier to entry is very low for Quick Tests (OTC supplies)

Old 08-22-2020, 02:34 PM

14,365 posts, read 11,758,960 times
Our 18-year-old nephew flew from CA to Germany at the beginning of July, and back at the beginning of August. I picked him up at the airport, which was almost empty. He reported that the plane was so empty that although everyone had been assigned a seat, the crew told everyone to go ahead and sit in any row they liked. There were enough for everyone. Our nephew had three seats to himself in the coach section and was basically able to lie down.

No Covid appeared, coming or going.

My only worries about plane travel are whether there will still be airlines in business and flights available for places I'd like to go.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:12 PM

6,167 posts, read 3,388,775 times
Since Covid started, I’ve flown a decent amount, some even internationally. I’m not flying as much as normal for my job, because some countries still aren’t open fully, though.

But so far, I have not caught Covid from the plane. I flew on a packed 4+ hour flight from Phoenix to Charlotte, nothing happened. I flew through Heathrow earlier in the pandemic, nothing happened. Plus other shorter domestic flights, some planes full, some less than half full.

I’ve basically had enough with the lockdown and have started eating out and dining in whenever possible. Nothing has happened to me yet.

It’s time for all of us to live our life to the fullest again. Life isn’t guaranteed, anything can happen, life can be cut short in an instant. So live people!

Old 08-22-2020, 07:33 PM

6,400 posts, read 5,037,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Right now, your odds of being infected (day to day) are about 1 in 2000.
Is there a source on this?

As of today the daily rate of new cases in the US is 47,000, or about 1 in every 7,000 US citizens catching it each day. But that's just a statistical average, and includes all those people going to parties and hanging out in bars with no masks, and high school students catching it and going home and infecting their parents. You can lower your personal risk of getting it by quite a lot. Whereas the 1 in 4,300 or 1 in 7,700 chance of catching it each time you fly is assuming that all the proper precautions are taken by you, the other travelers, and the flight crew.

Old 08-22-2020, 07:42 PM

37,157 posts, read 41,357,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier1962 View Post
I think the people who are afraid to fly right now because of the virus are the same ones you see driving down the street in their car with their windows rolled up and fully masked. Like the virus is out there hanging in the open air.
I drive with the windows rolled up and the air conditioning on because it is hot and humid out there.

I put my mask on when I start my errands and do not take it off until I am finished and get home. I remove the mask and wash my hands. It is the proper way to use a mask.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:46 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,554,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Exiting positions is a sure sign they are about to Break Out (At least that is my luck)

There will be no $$ in these until they start producing, and the Barrier to entry is very low for Quick Tests (OTC supplies)
maybe I'll buy into a correction of -10%; maybe a move from 26 to 23.5 (cents) and pickup more shares than I sold
Lets wait until Monday

Last edited by leastprime; 08-22-2020 at 08:55 PM..

Old 08-22-2020, 09:26 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,889,869 times
As of today the daily rate of new cases in the US is 47,000,

That's the average of confirmed cases. The number of deaths - and using the CDC's latest guess at death rate (0.65%) says the infection rate is closer to 150K daily - and that's how we arrive at 1 in 2000 or so, instead of 1 in 7000.

Either way - it's lonnnng odds to catch it, one on one.

As you pointed out - it's just a statistical average - almost certainly it's more like 1 in 200 in some places, and 1 in 20,000 in most others. There's not a great way to know, in any particular community - because the deaths lag the infections by 3 weeks or so (18 days avg). But any way you do it - using the broadest range of numbers you can find - the odds of you - one person- catching it today - are really, really low.

And the odds of a random person you see having it - ALSO very low, probably about 1 in 300.

SO - the 1 in 300 person has to get a near someone, has to be not wearing his mask, the other person has to not wear their mask, and be susceptible, (not immune or already infected, and have to share the same air-space for at least a few moments...and still, 150K a day are catching it. This just goes to show - it is such a slowww rate of spread rate now, and such a few few folks not taking care of themselves...that stopping it entirely is just really unlikely. We've already stopped 99.5% of it. What you're seeing now on the news every day is the half of percent that just won't go away, until it chooses to. It's the 1/2% that will NEVER wear a mask, will never social distance, will never admit this is real. Good luck fixing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel