Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Actually, malice is a substantial part of defamation/libel lawsuits. Even then, this case has serious problems. First, Casey give the false information to law enforcement in what is usually a private conversation. Defamation lawsuits hinge on the false information being "published" to the general public and it was not Casey who did that. Second, the statute of limitations on defamation suits is two years and I'm fairly certain that it's been two years since those statements were made. If that's the case then this won't even be allowed to go to trial.
There is no expectation of privacy when you give information to the authorities, except in very specific cases involving sexual crimes and/or crimes involving children. Even the attorney client privilege and doctor patient privilege can be broken under certain very specific exigent circumstances.

The statute of limitations is two years to serve a summons and complaint. (and I'm not sure and don't have time to look, but it's possible you don't even have to serve the actual complaint, just notice that you intend to serve.) The trial can be held a decade later as long as the defendant was served within the required time frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:55 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Certainly John Morgan knows the statutes. Florida has sunshine laws which open up Casey's lies for publication and distribution.

I doubt Morgan would be compelling her to testify,unless he knew he could get something from this civil case. The other side filed a Motion to Quash but who knows what may happen.

The case itself is a sad commentary. I doubt I will be following it after the summer.
As Annerk said, this is probably more about publicity than it is about winning money. I've met John Morgan personally, and he is a good man and a very skilled lawyer but even he has to know that this is a tough case to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There is no expectation of privacy when you give information to the authorities, except in very specific cases involving sexual crimes and/or crimes involving children. Even the attorney client privilege and doctor patient privilege can be broken under certain very specific exigent circumstances.
This is true, but I still have serious doubts that her case would be successful based on the simple fact that it was not Casey who "published" this information.

Quote:
The statute of limitations is two years to serve a summons and complaint. (and I'm not sure and don't have time to look, but it's possible you don't even have to serve the actual complaint, just notice that you intend to serve.) The trial can be held a decade later as long as the defendant was served within the required time frame.
I was mistakenly under the impression that the case wasn't filed until this year. It looks like it was filed in 2008 and was just postponed during the criminal trial. In that case the SOL hasn't expired.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
The trial can take a decade later? Its a civil case. It would be settled or thrown out.

Its not a criminal trial, civil cases are rather boring. Other than audiences who watch Judge Judy all day I dont think it would garner much media interest.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Cheny Mason says that he is getting checks in the thousands for Casey.
I don't believe him.
He talks out of both sides of his mouth. Before joining the trial team he had nothing nice to say about Casey Anthony or the up coming trial.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Some things in life play out different than people had foreseen...this might be the case with Baez, Mason and Casey Anthony.
We can pray

Mason is disgusting. Needs to just retire on that 50 acre hole in Micanopy or whatever rural place he holes up at. classless and crude.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The trial can take a decade later? Its a civil case. It would be settled or thrown out.
I personally know of several that went on that long. I don't think this one will, but it's not unheard of.

Quote:
Its not a criminal trial, civil cases are rather boring. Other than audiences who watch Judge Judy all day I dont think it would garner much media interest.
Nancy Grace will be all over it. I don't think the media has tired of Casey yet.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM

I hope they win something but it will amount to zilch. Justice was not served for the victim here. I could care less about Baez or whoever writes books about it to feather their nest.

George Anthony Asks Casey ”Why Destroy Caylee Marie” | The Caylee Daily

Old 08-11-2011, 05:06 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
What will happen with this case...does anybody heard of anything new? I don't understand that Casey can leave the State while this case is till pending and the plaintiff's lawyer wants a deposition...

Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What will happen with this case...does anybody heard of anything new? I don't understand that Casey can leave the State while this case is till pending and the plaintiff's lawyer wants a deposition...
It's a civil case. She can basically do whatever she wants (including not showing up at all) and the worst that would likely happen is a default judgement entered against her.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I don't believe him.
He talks out of both sides of his mouth. Before joining the trial team he had nothing nice to say about Casey Anthony or the up coming trial.
Yeah and Scott Petersen doesn't receive two bag fulls of mail, every week, from very beautiful women, sending him money and marriage proposals. Along with naked pictures of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime