Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

I once worked at a women's treatment center, with women who had kids. One woman had a beautiful 11 yo daughter. This Mom was about 30, drug addict, looked pretty rough. Her transtion plan was to move in with a 25 year old guy, who she met at some sort of AA meeting, he had recently been released from prison. It completely blew my mind that this woman thought this was a good plan. (Note: I did end this "plan", with a pre-emptive call to CPS).

There are Mothers out there that all you can do is shake your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times
The sex offender registry, in general, is not always up to date - as a real estate broker, we were, at one time, asked to advise prospective buyers if there was a convicted offender in a specific area/ street and I was absolutely opposed to doing so and advised the commission that I strongly believed it was the wrong thing for us to do NOT because it was incorrect NOT to disclose but because I knew the registry was not completely accurate AND that, in my opinion, it would be more prudent to give any prospective purchaser the name / number of the local police department and/or state police barracks for them to find out. The local PD and/or state police would have the names of the offenders and/or those that would be placed on the registry way before they are uploaded.

I know, for example, that one of my friends had a young son who was sexually assaulted by knife point and it took just shy 2 years to get the offender's name on the registry.

I completely agree that there are some people on the offender list who probably should not be on it - i.e., the 17 -18 year old boy who is dating the almost 16 year old in high school and.... {smile] and the parents find out, don't like the boy and thus....

And, the 35 year old guy who has lured the 13 year old girl and assaulted her - of course - AND for those convicted like this one who does NOT register w/in the required time span [I think 10 days], well that is a violation of your conditions of release or your plea agreement, or your probation/parole, there is no negotiating or second chance, you simply go back to jail.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
I would never rely solely on a sex offender registry to determine my child's safety. I think it is very important to remember that sex offenders don't usually get caught the first time. By the time they hit the registry, they may have dozens of victims. I could never let my child roam free simply because I lived in an area with no registered sex offenders. There could still be sex offenders who have not been caught yet.

In the case of this family, where they lived in an area with so many sex offenders, I don't see how the mom based her decision on her father's (also a sex offender) seemingly offhand opinion that the guy was "okay." You have little girls, you err on the side of caution, even at the expense of being wrong and hurting someone's feelings. The guy really might have been a nice guy, but I sure would not risk the life of my child to find out if he's nice or not.

There are a lot of people on the registry for stupid stuff like teenage sexting or public urination. But if I didn't know FOR SURE what the circumstances were, and I mean not by asking a friend of the guy or hearing it second hand, but actually KNOWING, then I am going to assume that you are a registered sex offender for a reason, and my kid will be nowhere around you...ever. The mother in this case, I guess, knew the circumstances of her father's situation, and I guess felt he wouldn't do anything to her daughters. But any other man in that trailer park should have been off limits 100%. I just don't see how it's possible, in this day and age, to be so incredibly naive. Unless, it was selfishness and neglect instead of naivete.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
According to the news the girl had been molested previously. I hope someone takes a critical look at this woman, and her lack of judgement. I hope the other girls will get counseling, and perhaps placement in better environment. Not that I am impressed with foster care.

Maybe there are some responsible family members. Not the Grandmother, who defended this guy prior to his confession.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

There are Mothers out there that all you can do is shake your head.
So many cases we read about ... it's the mother's boyfriend or the child's stepfather ... and in some cases the father's girl friend or stepmother.

I did volunteer work at shelter for Abused & Battered women and the abuser would be a husband or a boyfriend ... and the majority would heal their injuries and return right back into the situation with their children in tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
The sex offender registry, in general, is not always up to date - as a real estate broker, we were, at one time, asked to advise prospective buyers if there was a convicted offender in a specific area/ street
Today, I would think most people with young children would personally check out an area before purchasing a home. Our county sheriff's office provides that info for people. In addition to crime stats for the areas.

The Souder woman apparently went in the trailer park aware of the offenders ... but Plumadore wasn't a sexual offender.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
So many cases we read about ... it's the mother's boyfriend or the child's stepfather ... and in some cases the father's girl friend or stepmother.

I did volunteer work at shelter for Abused & Battered women and the abuser would be a husband or a boyfriend ... and the majority would heal their injuries and return right back into the situation with their children in tow.
Sadly its common. Statistically a woman leaves an abuser 7-9 X before ending the relationship or marriage.

Then the children abuse or gravitate toward the same relationships and continue the family cycle of living with abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime