Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,721,010 times

Advertisements

so Zimmerman 2, prosecution 0?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM

16,074 posts, read 28,656,070 times
http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06...-self-defense/

Innocence—Aggressors Need Not Apply

The principle of Innocence refers to the notion that a person who initiates a conflict should not later be permitted to justify his use of force as self defense.

It is this principle that is captured in Florida statute 776.041. It is, however, possible for the initial aggressor of a conflict to regain his “innocence” under certain circumstances., and thereby regain his right to justifiably use force in self defense

What I expect we will see at trial with regard to the principle of Innocence is the State arguing that Zimmerman engaged in conduct of a nature sufficient to qualify as “aggression”. The defense will respond that nothing Zimmerman did could reasonably qualify as an act of “aggression,” and at the same time that even if he did engage in such conduct he nevertheless “regained his innocence” afterwards.

Florida has a number of specific statutes relevant to self defense (not all states do, relying instead on case law), the most central of which for this trial will be:
776.013. Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.

Also, FL 782.02. Justifiable use of deadly force
It seems likely that given the facts of the case the prosecution will also try to apply Florida’s aggressor statute:

776.041. Use of force by aggressor.
Finally, I expect we’ll also see the defense raise Florida’s immunity statute at trial:

776.032. Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM

313 posts, read 402,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Why is this guy droning on and on and on?
That Dr. Nakasone was about as useful as LaToilette in the Arias case. All I can think of is that he's setting things up for prosecution to call TM's parents to testify it was their son's voice. Pretty weak though b/c GZ's parents can do the same, and it cancels them out.

I thought once again defense scored w/ establishing the "listener's bias.

I feel for this jury & admire them for not finding reasons to stay off the jury. The pressure they must feel in light of the politicization of this case is something else.
I can't even imagine being sequestered and keeping my sanity. Although it would have fallen on deaf ears, I would have pleaded for them to have court on the weekends, and stay long past 5 p.m. so we can get done fast. Seems unfair their lives have been put on hold but everything else continues on a regular schedule.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,721,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
so Zimmerman 2, prosecution 0?
More like 22-0. I haven't been counting the witnesses, but some of those who might have helped the prosecution have been more or less proven to be kinda nutty. Like the silly Olympics lady who says she once worked in some kind of mental institution, but after her testimony and half truths, I'm wondering if she was a resident, not a worker. Seems she once ran an Orlando marathon, and claims she qualified for the boycotted Olympics, but the Olympics records don't seem to show any evidence of her.

This lady on the stand now, the cop who took his statement....verifies what I've been saying all along. The Trayvonistas are going nuts over how George referred to Trayvon as "suspect" in his written statement. Oh,,,,,,,,,,,they say,,,,,,,,, that proves intent. Intent of what, I'm not sure, and I don't suppose they are, either. What was he supposed to call him? He didn't know his name. And I'm sure somewhere during the non-emergency calls, someone called the shadowy figure a "suspect". It hardly shows George set out to kill him, but the Traybots would have you believe this proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that George did something.......in their minds.....

Oh, and the crazy Olympics lady also said she thinks the voice was Trayvon's because she once taught school and knows what the voice of a person in his late teens sounds like. Never having met or seen either George or Trayvon in her entire life, she knows that. OK, then. She came on looking good and just got crazy, right there for all to see. She should be embarrassed.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcatnip View Post
That Dr. Nakasone was about as useful as LaToilette in the Arias case. All I can think of is that he's setting things up for prosecution to call TM's parents to testify it was their son's voice. Pretty weak though b/c GZ's parents can do the same, and it cancels them out.

I thought once again defense scored w/ establishing the "listener's bias.

I feel for this jury & admire them for not finding reasons to stay off the jury. The pressure they must feel in light of the politicization of this case is something else.
I can't even imagine being sequestered and keeping my sanity. Although it would have fallen on deaf ears, I would have pleaded for them to have court on the weekends, and stay long past 5 p.m. so we can get done fast. Seems unfair their lives have been put on hold but everything else continues on a regular schedule.
Originally, Tracy Martin said the voice was NOT Trayvon's.

0-0.

George said the voice didn't sound like his voice, but few people recognize their own voices when they hear a recording of themselves speaking (or screaming, lol).

Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM

313 posts, read 402,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Originally, Tracy Martin said the voice was NOT Trayvon's.
I know. But suddenly Tracy realized it did sound like his son's voice. I hope the defense is allowed to bring this up. If so, probably only his mom will testify.

I don't know why they're bothering when each parent is just going to say it's their son's voice. Another time waster for the poor jury who will be lucky to get out by the end of July.

I agree w/ what you said about the batty Olympics lady. I think the Manalo couple seemed the most emotionally stable and credible. The husband used the words "defended myself" to quote GZ, and really helped the defense IMO.

I haven't had a chance to watch the police officer on the stand today. What are your thoughts so far?

Definitely so far to me anyway every witness pretty much has ended up bolstering the defense. Reasonable doubt big time.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM

The female officer, Singleton I think is her name, a prosecution witness, completely, 100% bolstered the defense's case and even added some good little tidbits, like, "George had a trickle of blood coming out of his ear."

Serino is on now, and they're playing a hideous tape. I can't really understand much of it and am not paying a lot of attention.

As far as I'm concerned, it's over. But my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt because I'm a 110% 2nd Amendment, self defense kind of person. I'm glad I live in a Make My Day state. I have zero patience for weinies, criminals, and gun grabbers.

I thought Jenna and John were the best witnesses. And...they were right there! Looking right at the thing as it happened.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:45 PM

14,489 posts, read 14,467,327 times
Quote:
The female officer, Singleton I think is her name, a prosecution witness, completely, 100% bolstered the defense's case and even added some good little tidbits, like, "George had a trickle of blood coming out of his ear."

Serino is on now, and they're playing a hideous tape. I can't really understand much of it and am not paying a lot of attention.

As far as I'm concerned, it's over. But my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt because I'm a 110% 2nd Amendment, self defense kind of person. I'm glad I live in a Make My Day state. I have zero patience for weinies, criminals, and gun grabbers.

I thought Jenna and John were the best witnesses. And...they were right there! Looking right at the thing as it happened.
This and the fact I am not racist is probably why I see this case differently from a few here.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 PM

18,774 posts, read 18,279,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This and the fact I am not racist is probably why I see this case differently from a few here.
The prosecution also took a major hit with their lead investigator. He had told GZ that Trayvon had cut a video on his phone of the whole event (which he knew was not true). GZ had immediately responded that he was hoping that somebody videoed the event. In the mind of the lead investigator that meant that GZ was telling the truth - which he just testified to in court.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM

16,074 posts, read 28,656,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
You can't say that! You or we have no idea what his intent was that night. I'd bet he had no intentions of killing anyone that night. If anything, man2 should be all he gets. Unintended death of another. I think that's what man2 is.
I didn't say he premeditated. Zimmerman shot the boy at close range in the chest....

He's unskilled or shot to kill Trayvon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime