Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 09:44 AM

72 posts, read 107,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I love how this lynch mob is portraying Martin(he's already dead but so what) as a drug running, gang banging, drug crazed, up to no good, looking for trouble, hoodlum, who initiated the confrontation....
Have you not seen any of his FB pictures?.. Or are you just seeing what the media wants you to see?

Whats the old sayin.. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is proof to me that racism still exists in this country. In some ways, the reaction bothers me more than what GZ did.
I agree... and we heard further proof of racism still existing in this country when the defense asked JTeal if she thought the word "cracker" was a racial slur and she smirked and said no.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 AM

72 posts, read 107,608 times
Quote:
This is proof to me that racism still exists in this country.
Could you imagine what the response would be if a white guy wore a shirt like this, but the shirt said "Pssy Az ******" and had a picture of a Black, I mean.. an African American guy on it?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I thought these had been outlawed and called cop killers...I guess after enough cops got shot with these police decided to level the playing field...
Hollowpoints? Oh my God where did you get that knowledge that they are illegal. They are not, in fact the lack of penetration makes them safer to use to avoid shooting through the bad guy or walls and hitting an innocent target. The stopping power makes them more lethal as a self defensive round (as opposed to a target shooting round).

Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I think those were black talons. To be honest, I'd have to Google that, but I'm pretty sure hollow point bullets are legal in Florida.
I am not sure what ammo he used but hollowpoints come in a variety of brand names and are standard self defense rounds. You get them at wallmart. Black Talons where a standard HP round in the 80's that happened to be used in a mass shooting at the time and fell victim to media hype, it was not armor piercing or particulary more lethal than any other hollow point, that was all just media hype. I think they were marketed by Winchester. They were never banned, winchester removed them from the market due to all the hysterical hype...sort of anyways, they simply changed the color and changed the name and put them back on the market. But those are 20 year old technology. Much better ammo is available today.

For my 9mm, which I carry behind my right hip, I load with either WInchester PDX 124 grain jacketed hollow points or or 147 grain silvertip hollowpoints. I know of no concealed carry owners that would load with FMJ rounds unless they are going to the range.

Nothing personal guys, but leave the firearms and ammo discussion to people that know what they are talking about.

Last edited by Dd714; 07-02-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
The reason this case has generated the number of posts that it has is that it is racially charged and it represents a "certain narrative" that is held by a large number of white males.

The narrative that many in this group believe goes something like this:

1. "Everyone knows that black people commit almost all the crime."

2. "Young black men are the most dangerous group:"

3. "Even those young black men who aren't committing crime are generally lazy and not contributing to society".

4. "We (White America) cannot count on the police to protect us from THEM. We have to do the job ourselves".

5. "If a few innocent black men get killed in this process, that's just the price that has to be paid to rid this country of crime"

6. "Anyone who tracks down a young black man with a gun and shoots him is justified in doing so for the reasons stated above."

I don't personally pretend to know whether GZ is guilty or innocent. That's a question I will leave for this jury. It does bother me that GZ insisted on tracking TM with a gun even after the police told him not to do it. It bothers me more that TM ended up being shot and killed.

However, what bothers me most of all are the number of posters here who cannot wait for the system to take its course. No, in their minds, the trial should never have occurred. GZ was a great guy who was somehow "protecting his community". If there is a not guilty verdict, not only will they exult over it, they will probably tell us that all his legal expenses should be refunded as well.

This is proof to me that racism still exists in this country. In some ways, the reaction bothers me more than what GZ did.
Two things;

1 - The police did not tell Zimmerman to do anything, the 911 operator did, in which there is no law stating someone must listen to 911. You are yet another poster among many bringing up things Zimmerman did that there is no law against, I do not know why people keep doing this.

2 - The only racist item in this situation is Martin calling Zimmerman a "cracker" over the phone to his girlfriend or who ever she was.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
The thing I don't get with all the arguments on Zimmerman's side, is that they make him out to be such a victim because he was getting punched or his head was getting hit against the ground. Why does that give him the right to shoot Martin, when he was pursuing Martin, and Martin was fighting back in his own self defense. So in Florida, if I were to chase someone with a gun, that person turns around and fights me to protect himself, I then can call that self defense and shoot the guy? That doesn't make any sense- and if that is how the law currently is in Florida, it needs to be changed ASAP!
Getting hit in the head is a justifiable reason to use deadly force for self defense, many people have been killed by even one strike to the head.

Martin knew Zimmerman was armed? When did this come out? Martin did not even mention a firearm when on the phone with his girl; where is your evidence Zimmerman was pursuing Martin showing his gun?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You just recognized the problem. Zimmerman should not be patrolling the neighborhood asking people 'What you doin' here?' That's engaging them.
There is nothing illegal about it, I just asked someone in my condo building last night who are they looking for as they were wondering around.

I do not know why people continue to bring up things Zimmerman did that are legal; poor judgment yes, but not illegal.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I was responding to the comment that "you don't know what Zimmerman's intent".... (firing the gun).

If Trayvon was on top of him then George put the gun directly in his chest. Thanks for confirming he shot with the intent to kill.
Zimmerman's intent is easy, neutralize the threat.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Getting hit in the head is a justifiable reason to use deadly force for self defense, many people have been killed by even one strike to the head.
That is your opinion. George Zimmerman's livelihood will depend on if those six women agree with you. Many people don't think getting punched in the head justifies lethal use of force. In most cases if you pull out a gun during a fist fight, you're going to jail.

Personally, I do think getting beat and punched is a reason to use lethal force, if you were attacked in an un-provoked situation. But if two men start arguing in a bar and each one escalates the situation and a fist fight begins, the one who starts losing the fight cannot pull out a gun. However if a bar patron was simply attacked by someone else and started taking a severe beating, he has the right to defend himself with lethal force.

In the same sense it appears here that Zimmerman was pursuing Trayvon in a negligent manner. The dispatch advised him not to follow, and the detectives when interrogating him said he should have let Trayvon know he was neighborhood watch. He had plenty of opportunties to do so. He claims that while he was taking the beating he told a witness "He's trying to kill me." He thus could have clearly told Trayvon "I'm neighborhood watch." It's clear that Trayvon felt threatened by Zimmerman's negligent pursuit, and reacted in defense, and Zimmerman still didn't use the proper measures to nullify that situation, thus not warranting Zimmerman to use lethal force in that situation.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,357,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist.1 View Post
Could you imagine what the response would be if a white guy wore a shirt like this, but the shirt said "Pssy Az ******" and had a picture of a Black, I mean.. an African American guy on it?

Not as profound as that but in Northeast PA I see plenty of folks with Confederate flags or in the South I see the same flags proclaiming the "South will rise again." It's nonsense on both sides. It seems from the testimony thus far that cooler heads didn't prevail and that GZ might be guilty of just poor judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.