Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 03:14 PM

690 posts, read 964,323 times

Advertisements

Its been 5 yrs since my friend has been rotting in prison. There is a strong possibility he didn't do it and seems like he just got convicted because of word of mouth. The little girl pointed at him, but no other evidence, as far as we know. Is it possible or it has to be some other circumstances I am not aware of that could cause him to be convicted?

Old 06-23-2013, 12:29 AM

362 posts, read 794,748 times
happens all the time, all someone has to do is accuse you and normally you are found guilty

Old 06-23-2013, 01:30 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
Its been 5 yrs since my friend has been rotting in prison. There is a strong possibility he didn't do it and seems like he just got convicted because of word of mouth. The little girl pointed at him, but no other evidence, as far as we know. Is it possible or it has to be some other circumstances I am not aware of that could cause him to be convicted?
Did the case go to trial? Was he found guilty by a jury? I find it extremely hard to believe that the only evidence the prosecution had was "a little girl pointing at him." There's WAY too much information missing here for anyone to hazard a guess as to what really happened in his case.

Has he tried to appeal his sentence? He needs to talk to a lawyer about his options...nobody on the internet is going to be able to fix this, if it was in fact a wrongful conviction.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
happens all the time, all someone has to do is accuse you and normally you are found guilty
well thats crazy, anyone can accuse anyone for personal reasons and just have em do time? doesnt sound legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Did the case go to trial? Was he found guilty by a jury? I find it extremely hard to believe that the only evidence the prosecution had was "a little girl pointing at him." There's WAY too much information missing here for anyone to hazard a guess as to what really happened in his case.

Has he tried to appeal his sentence? He needs to talk to a lawyer about his options...nobody on the internet is going to be able to fix this, if it was in fact a wrongful conviction.
yea, it went to trial and jury found him guilty, details dont matter, the main thing is what i said altready, there was no direct evidence, nothing, only assumptions

Old 06-23-2013, 09:19 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Quote:

yea, it went to trial and jury found him guilty, details dont matter, the main thing is what i said altready, there was no direct evidence, nothing, only assumptions

I find it odd this poster doesn't want to give us details of the case. Why does he wanna be aware of the reasons people get convicted? I think the word choice and the lack of detail are not adding up.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 06-23-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Sexual crimes against children may lack overwhelming physical evidence ... plus, depending on the age and vocabulary of the child, may lack a detailed description of what actually happened. Perhaps this is one reason that small children are so frequently victimized by pedophiles who escape detection for years. If you examine the public DOC inmate records (available online in most states), you will likely be appalled, as I am, at how many inmates have records of sex crimes against children younger than 12.

The courts are reluctant to further victimize an innocent child in open court ... (similar to what often happens to rape victims). Thus, most of the real investigation is conducted and evidence collected - outside of the courtroom; often by trained child psychologists, who solidly verify the truth of the allegation and meet court-approved evidence guidelines.

Is this a perfect, foolproof system? What system is perfect? But, how else is our society to protect innocent children from adult predators? Further, this is not the type of crime that perpetrators readily admit ... particularly in a prison setting where child molesters and rapists are considered the 'lowest of the low.' You say that your friend has been "rotting in jail for 5-years ... because a child pointed at him." That may be what your friend says, but, we both know that people don't get sent to prison for 5+ years ... because 'children point at them!' --- Is your commitment to his innocence really so unshakable that you would ask him to babysit your small child after his release?

Last edited by jghorton; 06-23-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sexual crimes against children may lack overwhelming physical evidence ... plus, depending on the age and vocabulary of the child, may lack a detailed description of what actually happened. Perhaps this is one reason that small children are so frequently victimized by pedophiles who escape detection for years. If you examine the public DOC inmate records (available online in most states), you will likely be appalled, as I am, at how many inmates have records of sex crimes against children younger than 12.

The courts are reluctant to further victimize an innocent child in open court ... (similar to what often happens to rape victims). Thus, most of the real investigation is conducted and evidence collected - outside of the courtroom; often by trained child psychologists, who solidly verify the truth of the allegation and meet court-approved evidence guidelines.

Is this a perfect, foolproof system? What system is perfect? But, how else is our society to protect innocent children from adult predators? Further, this is not the type of crime that perpetrators readily admit ... particularly in a prison setting where child molesters and rapists are considered the 'lowest of the low.' You say that your friend has been "rotting in jail for 5-years ... because a child pointed at him." That may be what your friend says, but, we both know that people don't get sent to prison for 5+ years ... because 'children point at them!' --- Is your commitment to his innocence really so unshakable that you would ask him to babysit your small child after his release?
no, im not sayin he is innocent, im jus saying i didnt hear any evidence that he is guilty, i was in the court for one day and my friends were there for the rest of them and nobody heard anything solid, only assumptions and indirect circumstantial evidence like he was with her at certain times and the fact she said its him
i dont know, maybe they didnt tell everything during the open court hearings, but that's weird to me, i mean how else is jury gon decide if they dont hear everything, he got sentenced to more than 30 yrs btw for multiple counts of sex abuse, i would think that kinda sentence would have to be based on more than hearsay
is there a way to get ahold of court docs and see if we missed anything or only lawyers can do that?

Last edited by Stechkin; 06-23-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Even if found not guilty, and there is actually no evidence at all; a person will still have the stigma of being accused, everyone will treat the person different and have less trust of the person.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:52 AM

934 posts, read 1,128,895 times
Quote:

I think testimony can be enough.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I think testimony can be enough.
isnt that crazy tho? given that, u can jus make it all up and get innocent people locked up or even if its a child testimony, he could be coached by his relatives for personal immoral reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime