Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,780 times

Advertisements

[quote=Lindsey_Mcfarren;4247992]I don't think a 12 year old knows what she is getting into.
Its one thing for a teenager to have sex with someone their own age and of similar maturity but a child having sex with an adult is totally different. I don't buy for a moment that this 12 year old was looking for a roll in the hay.

She thought this guy would love and cherish her, maybe she wasn't getting it at home. He probably told her that the physical part was a wonderful confirmation of their so called love.

Has no one heard of babysitting software on computers now a days??[/quote]

Tech savvy kids can hack "net nanny" programs faster than you can say "What's DDR memory?"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:40 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Don't they have to know the program is there to hack it? What about key stroke programs and then you make the file invisible.

OR put the computers on a network and watch what they do from time to time.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Don't they have to know the program is there to hack it? What about key stroke programs and then you make the file invisible.

OR put the computers on a network and watch what they do from time to time.
Go to any public library and get on an Internet terminal, you'll know within a few minutes if the library has a " net nanny" program installed on their router, most do, it's the law in PA. The only way to check out what your children do on the Internet, is to monitor their activity, either live or through wireless internal router programs that monitor their IM and web surfing. I'm no techie geek, but I've successfully hacked library Internet monitoring programs, it's not all that difficult and many children have a tech knowledge that far exceeds mine!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Go to any public library and get on an Internet terminal, you'll know within a few minutes if the library has a " net nanny" program installed on their router, most do, it's the law in PA. The only way to check out what your children do on the Internet, is to monitor their activity, either live or through wireless internal router programs that monitor their IM and web surfing. I'm no techie geek, but I've successfully hacked library Internet monitoring programs, it's not all that difficult and many children have a tech knowledge that far exceeds mine!
Yeah, but all the parents really have to do to be a true Net Nanny, is to unplug the internet. You can easily use the firmware in a modem and/or router to password protect even Wired Connections. In fact, the cable company around here gives complete instruction on how to do it... and will even come out to do it for you (on a modem purchased from them, of course). Or, the parent can just go the easy route and take the modem and/or router with them as they leave the home. That way, a parent always has to be home for the child to use the internet.

Computers in a public room in the house with proper parenting will result in children who know better than to prance around in front of a webcam naked to impress some guy she met over the internet.

That is to say, I'm not blaming just the victim. The predator is a sick individual, the child should have known better, and the parents should be more aware of their child's activity.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Yeah, but all the parents really have to do to be a true Net Nanny, is to unplug the internet. You can easily use the firmware in a modem and/or router to password protect even Wired Connections. In fact, the cable company around here gives complete instruction on how to do it... and will even come out to do it for you (on a modem purchased from them, of course). Or, the parent can just go the easy route and take the modem and/or router with them as they leave the home. That way, a parent always has to be home for the child to use the internet.

Computers in a public room in the house with proper parenting will result in children who know better than to prance around in front of a webcam naked to impress some guy she met over the internet.

That is to say, I'm not blaming just the victim. The predator is a sick individual, the child should have known better, and the parents should be more aware of their child's activity.
That's a little extreme, but the other methodology you mentioned will certainly curb undesirable Internet activity.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Parents need to take the computers out of the kids room and need to monitor what they are doing, in todays world Parents need to step up in the protection of their children, once that child makes a mistake it could be their last.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:39 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

My girlfriend has a 13 year old daughter. She's only allowed on the PC when one of her parents are home and even then she has the content advisor thing on so she has to have a password to get on a lot of sites. She brought this program for like $20 that emails her a list of all websites visited within the last 24 just in case her daughter tries to get slick and erase her footprints. After a few months, her daughter got bored with it and went back to giggling on the phone.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,146 times
Hate to say this, but knowing kids these days, she probably knew what she was doing. When I was in my teens (a few years ago), every other girl I knew bragged and fantasized about doing it with a much older man (20s-30s) while condemning even the though of having a relationship, much less sex, with a boy around their age.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,845 times
Times, they are a changin'! Kids learn things so much faster now. I just had to have the first "talk" with my 8 year old son yesterday b/c he asked me what sex was. I hated it but I did it and was honest. Thankfully, the whole concept grossed him out but I know it won't be long before it becomes more than just a question. Parents need to be active in knowing what their children are doing. I know people work and are busy, but give me a break. I'm a mom first and foremost and my most important job is to raise my son to be a responsible, well adjusted man. Everything else is secondary. I wish others felt the same way! I truly hope this young girl is ok but it doesn't sound good, does it?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:30 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
I like the idea of the key stroke logger programs. That program can be hidden in the system so even if they are looking for something they won't see it. Then you can go back and see what they are doing and when they cross the line, you can shut the whole thing down on them.

I agree, children should not have a computer that has access to the internet in their room. I could understand putting on in there that can be used to type up papers and so forth and then print. If they need to do research, they could do it on a computer in a public part of the house, save their research to a jump drive and then go to their room and type it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime