Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:37 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
The reason I asked, is that my cousin was 16 and had decided she would "catch" an older man so she did not have to go to college or ever work. A very, very 1950s attitude which seemed odd in the 70s, but she married him 48 when she was 17, she is now 50 and his dead and she is rich and happy. Not my lifestyle, but he was not a pedophile, just an older man who had a young woman when they married. My mother in law was 17 when she married in 1949, and my father in law was 34. I guess there is a difference between May and December and pedophilia?
My niece always liked older men, much older! BTW, they are still married and live together, although the child is being raised by other family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 12:31 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
My niece always liked older men, much older! BTW, they are still married and live together, although the child is being raised by other family members.
So the question remains in some of these cases what is considered normal and what is considered out of bounds, Obviously these men were much older when they started dating 15 and 16 year old girls. I watched one of those datelines and there was an 18 year old who was being arrested for coming to see a 13 year old, and to me, although I would not want my daughter doing it, a few months earlier when he was 17, no one would have thought anything of it. They put the kid in jail for 6 months. I just think there is more to pedophile than simply age, there is a desire to harm children.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:26 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
So the question remains in some of these cases what is considered normal and what is considered out of bounds, Obviously these men were much older when they started dating 15 and 16 year old girls. I watched one of those datelines and there was an 18 year old who was being arrested for coming to see a 13 year old, and to me, although I would not want my daughter doing it, a few months earlier when he was 17, no one would have thought anything of it. They put the kid in jail for 6 months. I just think there is more to pedophile than simply age, there is a desire to harm children.
The age of consent varies from state to state, what is legal in one state is illegal in another state. Perhaps, if there were a uniform age of consent, like the drinking age, statutory rape and pedophilia cases would be viewed in a more consistent context. IMO, the age of consent should be set at 16 for a uniform application of statutory sex laws.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I, too, have a brother who has "done time". In fact he is currently doing time, for DUI, the 3 strikes rule (3 DUI's in 10 years, spread out but still)...

You are correct on how they are "untouchable" in prison.

He is taking his lumps, but he is disgusted with the revolving door HE sees for those convicted of sexual crimes against CHILDREN. He has seen them come in, be released, and come back, all during the time he has spent doing time for his DUI.

No one is saying he shouldn't be serving time for his crimes, but shouldn't baby rapers be serving a little bit LONGER sentences?? Shouldn't they be getting life with NO CHANCE for parole since it's been proven over and over that they cannot be rehabilitated? Can't we let loose some of the perpetrators of victimless crimes, the small time drug offenders, etc., to make room for these predators?

When you parole someone who was in on drug related crimes, (especially when they were using and their crimes are related to addiction vs. "just dealing"), you can pee test them and keep track. When you parole someone who was in for DUI, there are ways to keep them from driving. What about the child molesters? There's no "pee test" for that.

Too true! I wish more people would know that the 'pedophiles get theirs while in prison' no longer is true. Now they are in protective custody and are extremely catered to.

And that, ladies and gentlemen is where your tax dollars are being spent!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
This is why parents need to keep their kids off of sites like MySpace.
My kids are and were on MySpace and Facebook and AOL- which was the big bogeyman before those 2. The fact is that you'd be fighting a losing battle trying to keep kids off those places. All their friends are there and they want to be there too. So the best thing you can do is teach them that the internet comes with responsibility and drill into their heads to never give out any personal info to anybody that they do not know. Life was probably easier back in the good old days we lived in where your circle of friends generally consisted of the neghbourhood you lived in and the school you went to. But the internet has changed all that. Back when I was in high school, boys dated girls from the same school. Now boys and girls date people from different schools they meet on the internet. My kids have friends from all over North America now- and so far no problems. As computers get smaller and more accessible, just saying to them they cannot be on it is worthless. They always find a way. Just like we did.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
k350, these predators are grown men. You think they don't know how to talk to a 12-year-old, flattering her, making her feel like she's almost a woman, etc. etc.? These little girls never have a chance.

Now, if you want to talk about why they have unrestricted internet access, I can agree with that. Luckily, my kids grew up before My Space was so popular. Besides, we only had one computer and it was in the living room where I could see what they were doing online. I don't think it's appropriate for a 12- or 13-year-old to have a computer in their bedroom, for example. But that's just me.
You are right, Back then it was AOL where the same kind of stuff was going on. When computers were big and bulky and were not in every library and coffee shop, you could probably monitor a kid's usage. But in the age of laptops and even cell phone internet, it would become a 24/7 job to do so. At some age you have to teach a child some responsibility.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 PM

[quote=Steve Hazzard;4248021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't think a 12 year old knows what she is getting into.
Its one thing for a teenager to have sex with someone their own age and of similar maturity but a child having sex with an adult is totally different. I don't buy for a moment that this 12 year old was looking for a roll in the hay.

She thought this guy would love and cherish her, maybe she wasn't getting it at home. He probably told her that the physical part was a wonderful confirmation of their so called love.

Has no one heard of babysitting software on computers now a days??[/quote]

Tech savvy kids can hack "net nanny" programs faster than you can say "What's DDR memory?"!
That is true. Most such programs work by blocking websites such as MySpace but every kid knows how to hack around them or go to 3rd party web sites that then allow them access to the blocked site.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:11 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,296 times
[quote=KevK;4347168]
Quote:

That is true. Most such programs work by blocking websites such as MySpace but every kid knows how to hack around them or go to 3rd party web sites that then allow them access to the blocked site.
and they can use their cell phones

Old 07-05-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
That's a little extreme, but the other methodology you mentioned will certainly curb undesirable Internet activity.
Not really. Because if you unplug and take the modem with you, all the snot nosed kid will do is whip his wireless card out from its hiding place, plug it into the computer and start surfing on the neighbour's wireless router. You have to take the whole computer with you!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
My then 15 year old niece ran away to California with a 42 year old man who is now the father of her 7 year old child! And where did they meet? In a chat room, of course!
And the 42 year old is still breathing?? Where is the girl's dad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime