Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:52 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times

Advertisements

Jeesh, in Ohio and Indiana, the school districts are always pressuring the parents to approve taxes for more money.
My daughter said in one class, one teacher actually told them she had to choose between paying the rent and eating, which is a joke, since if you drive through the parking lot, you see Lexuses, SUVs, etc...and they make a good buck as a teacher where we lived.
I thought it was inappropriate for someone to voice their problems with their pay to the students. She should go to her boss, like anyone in any job.
But really it's not about the amount of money, it is how it is used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 04:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Jeesh, in Ohio and Indiana, the school districts are always pressuring the parents to approve taxes for more money.
My daughter said in one class, one teacher actually told them she had to choose between paying the rent and eating, which is a joke, since if you drive through the parking lot, you see Lexuses, SUVs, etc...and they make a good buck as a teacher where we lived.
I thought it was inappropriate for someone to voice their problems with their pay to the students. She should go to her boss, like anyone in any job.
But really it's not about the amount of money, it is how it is used.
Teachers here are not paid well at all and you generally get what you pay for. See my post here: //www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...locate-az.html

Old 08-19-2007, 07:22 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Very valid point, Twixcookie

Nowadays, many employers require all employees subscribe to direct deposit and then they mail the stub directly to their homes in an attempt to eliminate, or at least reduce, on duty pay discussions.

Makes sense to me.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:53 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
Where I live, teachers make more than nurses and other health pros, so go figure. I think they should be well compensated, but they have to stop the pay whining. I have a cousin who is a teacher, and she whines incessantly about her pay too. She owns a home, has a pension for retirement, which is a lot more than most of us have.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 AM

683 posts, read 2,651,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow, you'd say TUSD is even worse than Sunnyside...?!
I don't know much about Sunnyside. It doesn't have a good reputation though, does it?

TUSD is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. We've had very good experiences with Blenman Elementary and my daughter received a good education when she was in the GATE (gifted) program at Tully Elementary. However, my son was not in GATE and he went to Tully one year and had a teacher that wasn't very good. They had some problems with discipline.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
I don't know much about Sunnyside. It doesn't have a good reputation though, does it?

TUSD is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. We've had very good experiences with Blenman Elementary and my daughter received a good education when she was in the GATE (gifted) program at Tully Elementary. However, my son was not in GATE and he went to Tully one year and had a teacher that wasn't very good. They had some problems with discipline.
Sunnyside is not even questionable... all it takes is to see the overlap between the school district boundaries and the TPD crime map, foreclosure pockets, etc...

You're right, TUSD probably is like a box of chocolates with the more expensive areas (you mentioned Blenman) getting better schools, just as I suspected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson