Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readdict View Post
My husband got the snake into a tub and took it away from the house to release it.
I always think that we have invaded their world not vice versa and try to be respectful of the wildlife here.
Major kudos to you and yours. THATS what I like to hear. Most people are so ignorant when it comes to snakes and scorpions that they immediately (and stupidly) feel the need to kill everything they see. Rattlesnakes arent dangerous, its mankind that is. WE'RE the world's worst predators, not them. Thanks for having a heart and releasing it, you did the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 AM

10 posts, read 38,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Second that.

While I totally agree growth doesn't have to be ugly, IMO the ugliness is not the developers' fault for the most part, with some exceptions. The guidelines about the styles and the indescribably ugly colors come from the city. I don't believe that only because we happen to live in the desert we have to turn into lizards and blend with the environment so much. My personal preference would be white and other lighter colors, which actually make a lot more sense in the heat. OK, forget me... but Tucson has strong Mexican heritage. At least some subdivisions can use bright, cheerful colors as opposed to the various shades of poop. What's wrong with La Placita - http://www.go-arizona.com/AZ/images/...-LaPlacita.jpg ? It lifts my spirits every time I see it. And I'm sure there must've been years-long battles before it was painted like that. I can't say that's my favorite style, but it's still a lot better than the rest of the sea of boredom and ugliness.
La Placita is actually quite stunning and I like it too. My wife has photographed it many times. Civano - which is a little too smug for my tastes - has done a similar thing with trying to add some uniqueness to their development.

We need more of that.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:32 PM

9 posts, read 30,980 times
Blue lights and searching for scorpions in my bedroom ??????! Is that really true? I have a cat which I have recently started letting outside (here in Ohio), she usually stays close to the door of my apt. Is she going to have to become an indoor cat again? Although, inside doesn't sound all that safe either.
The snakes don't scare me too much, but the thought of scorpions in my bedroom gives me the shivers. How often do things like this actually happen?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripleysb View Post
Blue lights and searching for scorpions in my bedroom ??????! Is that really true? I have a cat which I have recently started letting outside (here in Ohio), she usually stays close to the door of my apt. Is she going to have to become an indoor cat again? Although, inside doesn't sound all that safe either.
The snakes don't scare me too much, but the thought of scorpions in my bedroom gives me the shivers. How often do things like this actually happen?
Sorry to be a "wet blanket" here, ripleysb . . .

However, since relocating here in 1997, I have never seen one Scorpion or Snake except while hiking out in the desert or visiting The Desert Museum.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,921 times
Default blue lights ?

Bummer - what city do you live in? I understand there are "hot spots" for scorpions. I too, am a bit jittery of the critters in Southern Arizona...

Old 10-26-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margie.g View Post
Bummer - what city do you live in? I understand there are "hot spots" for scorpions. I too, am a bit jittery of the critters in Southern Arizona...
Scorpions and snakes are in every part of the state. Many will claim to "never see them", but they probably wouldnt notice a scorpion if it was 2" from them, theyre very hard to see. If you want to see them, take a portable blacklight out in the yard at night.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Scorpions and snakes are in every part of the state. Many will claim to "never see them", but they probably wouldnt notice a scorpion if it was 2" from them, theyre very hard to see. If you want to see them, take a portable blacklight out in the yard at night.
Hey, if I can't see them and they don't bother me... for my purposes they really don't exist.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Hey, if I can't see them and they don't bother me... for my purposes they really don't exist.
Well....

Just dont say I didnt warn ya.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well....

Just dont say I didnt warn ya.
I used to live for 5 years in a house IN the natural desert - I mean nothing but desert around the wrap-around porch (no fence). Once I was shown a dead rattle snake and remember some fuss over a scorpion in the household once, but never did see it. That's all my experience with "critters" here for 10+ years. The rest of the time I've lived in more urban areas - absolutely nothing of this nature ever. Yeah, there are lizards and bunnies around, but I like these guys. I've always lived on the East side of town. Scorpions seem to be more common in the N and NE.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:51 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margie.g View Post
Don't be confused, margie.

I'm in North Central Tucson . . . fairly close to the Rillito River at Stone.

Having lived in a number of places in this country and as I have posted earlier, there are critters everywhere. The Southeast and the Upper Midwest have Mosquitoes and Cockroaches the size of small cats. Ants were a constant problem in Northern California and Big Rats are basically in all major cities to name just a few.

As far as Critters in Tucson . . . "a piece of cake" by comparison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson