Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 05:17 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times

Advertisements

This looks delightful. I'm going to have to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 08:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshiregrl View Post
we go every winter when we're out there and the last couple times my husband & I were amazed at the sheer number of border patrol vehicles. That whole area southwest of Green Valley down to the border is very scenic and quiet. We especially like to take Ruby Rd from Rio Rico out to Pena Blanca Lake and the various hiking trails like Sycamore Canyon. Although very near the border we've never seen anyone but border patrol although we have seen water jugs a few times. It's not a highly publicized area and I only really learned about it from Forest Service resources. I always try to find forest service roads wherever we go as they often provide good access to more remote places.

This is a forest service map of the area

[IMG][/IMG]

and a link to the forest service site
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coro...5800&actid=105

I think people who never visit southern AZ are the most concerned about the danger from illegal immigrants. We've hiked for years all around the border areas on our numerous visits and have never seen one. Not saying there aren't any, more that they don't seem interested in making themselves known. I'm a female who often hikes alone and I've never been uncomfortable. And, yes, the trails at Buenos Aires are very nice. Last time we were there last Feb the only other person around was the visitor center worker.
The road gets very rough and narrow after the lake. A buddy and I rode from Arivaca to Rio Rico on Harleys that were never intended for that route. I'd only recommend doing it in a Jeep Wrangler or similar. The only traffic seen were 4 Border Patrol vehicles and one of them would have wiped us out if we met him on one of the many curves.

It was beautiful though.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:06 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Really nice photos! What was the temp? I see people in parkas! I'm in Michigan (heatwave at the moment, 40 degrees), but wondering about wearing parkas in southern AZ. Looks like a really nice day and lots of sun!

BTW, how did you load your photos to C-D? Can they reside on your computer?
Hi. Weather was very pleasant (70 degrees or so, from memory).

I load photos using Imgur. Look at the options at the top of the "Reply" box and you'll see a little image of a photo (from the right; Show/Hide, a little blurb box, then the little yellow square I'm speaking of).

You insert the url (?) into the spot shown when you click on the image box.

Kind of hard to explain via this posting.

Rich

Old 01-09-2020, 11:37 PM

344 posts, read 643,128 times
This is a very patriotic small town. One of their youngsters was killed in Afghanistan 2 years ago and the whole town came to his funeral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson