Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,063 times

Advertisements

I like the small town vibes, but having an additional freeway that goes from Marana, Oro Valley and down through the east side of Tucson would make getting around town a lot faster for anyone that doesn't live in the center of the city and needs to get to the other side. There is a lot of open land out that way, so seems like it should be feasible. The only thing is I guess it would be an eyesore for the people that live along it's path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 02:14 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
How many people would be displaced by eminent domain and paid a "fair" value for their home to be seized? Might be more complicated than simply NIMBY's.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:12 PM

100 posts, read 177,121 times
Downtown, 4th Avenue, and the Country Club and Speedway area is being developed like mad. Apartments and hotels all along the streetcar. Do you think the developers might know something? A lot of younger people want to live in the "frozen" 1978 midtown, not in the spooky nightmare of cookie cutter houses in a suburban HOA-ville.

There was an ad for Green Valley in the 1970s that said "That Green Valley grin comes from living good again!" All the kids sang "That Green Valley grin comes from drinking too much gin!"

Old 01-14-2022, 04:02 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,519 times
There will never be an east west highway or freeway through Tucson. No government entity (city, state or fed) would spend the money it would cost these days to buy up enough land to do this. Maybe back in the 60's or 70's it would have been feasible. At this point its way too late for it, and it would rip the city in half or more.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:38 PM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Born in Tucson, and 4th gen Arizonan. They just think it will control growth. That, and cheapness. Always been that way.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:42 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
You don’t want a freeway. The lack of freeway is what keeps midtown cool and limits bland suburbia ala Phoenix. You want vertical growth in a unique environment. That’s what is happening

Old 01-16-2022, 06:55 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
A freeway is never happening in my time, instead half hearted measures to speed up traffic flow on Grant, Speedway and Broadway will continue. Those measures didn't work in the 80's when they started and don't honestly do much now.

But the city and county government should really be pushing to add lanes on I-10 all the way to the state highway that goes down to Sonoita. I've started traveling out to the Rita Ranch area for work lately and can't believe that the freeway gets pinched down to two lanes in basically the middle of town.

Plus with no freeway through town, the northwest side of town is booming. This will be where much of the new growth will come from. Easy access to Phoenix, three lanes of freeway to take you either downtown or to Raytheon and plenty of land.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:01 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
A freeway is never happening in my time, instead half hearted measures to speed up traffic flow on Grant, Speedway and Broadway will continue. Those measures didn't work in the 80's when they started and don't honestly do much now.

But the city and county government should really be pushing to add lanes on I-10 all the way to the state highway that goes down to Sonoita. I've started traveling out to the Rita Ranch area for work lately and can't believe that the freeway gets pinched down to two lanes in basically the middle of town.

Plus with no freeway through town, the northwest side of town is booming. This will be where much of the new growth will come from. Easy access to Phoenix, three lanes of freeway to take you either downtown or to Raytheon and plenty of land.
If they ever decide on the I-11 route (I thought they were going to decide in 2020), development patterns might change.
https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...177782.pdf.pdf

The East option is just I-19 and I-10 up past Marana;
the West option creates a new roughly parallel road 15-20 miles west of I-10
Both options merge north of Marana, and veer west around I-8.

If they choose the West option, I think there will be growth between the two highways and west of I-11.
With the East option, things will go on as they are.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:53 PM

810 posts, read 871,881 times
I know the I-11 and Sonoran Corridor are somehow related, but I don't remember the specifics. In November 2021 they chose the route for the Sonoran Corridor -- about 20 miles that will connect I-10 and I-19.

"The route ADOT selected goes from El Toro Road at I-19, east along a new alignment, then north on an extension of Alvernon Way to Old Vail Connection Road; it would follow that road east to connect with I-10 at Rita Road."

https://www.gvnews.com/news/i-19-10-...ac90bb35f.html

I don't understand why they need the Sonoran Corridor in addition to the I-11, but there must be a reason.

Last edited by wildflowers27; 01-16-2022 at 03:04 PM..

Old 01-16-2022, 06:50 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
I know the I-11 and Sonoran Corridor are somehow related, but I don't remember the specifics. In November 2021 they chose the route for the Sonoran Corridor -- about 20 miles that will connect I-10 and I-19.

"The route ADOT selected goes from El Toro Road at I-19, east along a new alignment, then north on an extension of Alvernon Way to Old Vail Connection Road; it would follow that road east to connect with I-10 at Rita Road."

https://www.gvnews.com/news/i-19-10-...ac90bb35f.html

I don't understand why they need the Sonoran Corridor in addition to the I-11, but there must be a reason.
From the link you posted, the Sonoran Corridor appears to be an East-West link between I10 and I19, south of where they currently merge.

I11 runs north-south, ultimately from Mexico to Canada. That wouldn't solve whatever issues the corridor is supposed to address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson